A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,793
Currently Running With Scissors:
759 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Crafting" for Soldiers -- many photos  (Read 5342 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

murbeck
They call me a redneck, and I reckon that I am

"the chief enemy of creativity is good sense"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010 12:31:43 PM »

My husband was in Iraq when war was first declared.  Other than the wipes my Mom & I sent him, he didn't shower for some 6+ weeks so every little bit of cleanliness is so appreciated, I can assure you.  Everything you sent was very thoughtful and will be loved more than you know.  If they don't like something in their package, fear not, they will trade amongst each other  Wink  We sent DH a big huge box chalked full of wipes and munches which he shared with his buddies, because like you said, not all soldiers/marines/etc. have thoughtful people at home, or maybe those at home can't afford to send things to them, because postage can be so pricey (we spent over $50 to send our package).

God Bless.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You are ALWAYS smiling"
"That's because I'm happy"

Facebook
I'm Wistful
I'm pinteresting!

What good is warmth without cold to give it sweetness?
Quasi_one
Life with Jane

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010 05:08:57 PM »

I hit this rocks so hopefully more people we see it, I will be sending out packages myself next week. Great idea Murbeck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is like the mail, sometimes you just don't get it!

Once and awhile, in the middle of an ordinary lifetime, love gives us a miracle.

My wists ->  http://www.wists.com/BirdsofaFeather
My WIP Blog -> http://lifewithjane.net
TracyLee22
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010 06:36:54 PM »

What a wonderful idea! Each season I have my students make cards to send over seas, we should borrow your idea, decorate boxes and send whole packages! I work with a lady who knits wool socks to send over, http://socksforsoldiersinc.com/index.html. Thank you for the hard work and the great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Best episode of 'Cops' ever made:
officer- "ma'am why do you have scissors in your pocket?"
drunk lady- "for arts, such as.... crafts?"
Kochopia

Sir Rexford Buttonworth III

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010 09:17:42 PM »

My cousin called today....he specifically asked for powdered Gatorade drink mix...just an idea for anyone who is interested
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diesels_Mom
Please refrain from frying bacon naked.

Mango Tango Scented Love Machine

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010 12:00:32 PM »

Very nice, they will appreciate it. I support http://www.operationpaperback.org/ . Every few months I gather up my paperbacks and ship them off to a soldier, it's a good program the books are appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/dieselsmom

* I Love personal swaps! *

"A dog is not almost-human, and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such." - John Holmes
sophieangele
Two-headed girl

lacing fingers through the notches of your spine

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010 01:26:40 AM »

Thanks for doing this, I'm sure it will be much appreciated.

One thing to point out is that the AnySoldier website actually says that you shouldn't send food and non-food items in the same package, so that might be something to bear in mind when people make up their packages:

Do NOT, for ANY reason, or in ANY amount, include food items in a care package with ANY hygiene items or chemicals of any type.
If you want to send a care package, make it only food items or only non-food items. You would not believe how even factory sealed cookies taste when they have lived together in the same package with bath soap for a month in 120 degree heat. Also, since so many folks simply won't repack liquid items in vacuum bags (like FoodSaverTM for example), please just use another box. We get requests all the time that folks NOT send soaps, bug repellent, dryer sheets, air fresheners, detergents, deodorants, (getting the idea?) in the same box as food items.
Trust me, a good smelling arm pit is a nice thing, but a cookie that tastes like one will not improve a Soldier's morale...  (from anysoldier.com)

FOR UK CRAFTSTERS:

I just wanted to say that if anyone here from the UK wants to send a package to a BRITISH soldier, or send contributions to packages being sent to a soldier, the system is DIFFERENT from the US one. The best place to go is:

http://www.supportoursoldiers.co.uk/carepackages.html

There are restrictions on the size of the package, and it MUST BE SENT TO A NAMED SOLDIER, so you can send a package to the UK head office or a regional coordinator so that they can send it on to a named soldier. If you try to send to "Any [British] Soldier", it'll get returned to you, and waste army resources. It is also safer for the soldiers to send this way, because incorrectly addressed packages have ended up in the Afghan civilian mail system, which reveals the identity of British soldiers and potentially puts them at risk. So if you don't personally know a soldier but want to send something to members of the forces serving in Iraq or Afghanistan, go through Support Our Soldiers.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2010 01:29:23 AM by sophieangele » THIS ROCKS   Logged

crendon
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010 02:22:31 PM »

my husband recently finished his 2nd tour in Iraq & we talked about this a lot...there were a lot of soldiers, particularly the young, single ones, who wouldn't get anything. my contribution was always reading material & baked goods, but they really like to get anything as long as it's MAIL!! you're making some soldiers feel really special...very cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
seamaiden75
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010 02:44:20 PM »

I think that is so wonderful that you are doing that for your cousin and the other guys over there! I wanted to warn you though when my husband was over there I tried to send him batteries and the post office wouldn't let me even though they weren't open. They are on the list of items you aren't suppose to mail. Next time he deploys I'm going to just send him with a ton of batteries.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't have a TV now but that's ok the shows in my mind are almost always better.
The Maxx

My Wists http://www.wists.com/seamaiden75
Kuhhhristin
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2010 12:55:43 PM »

That's such a cool idea! I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2010 08:03:06 AM »

This is such a great idea and thank you for the links.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Southern Pulled Pork Barbecue Sandwich Recipe
Beef and Noodles with Onion Gravy Recipe
Baked Bacon and Super Scrambled Eggs Recipe
Very Southern Cornsticks Recipe
Parmesan Chicken Casserole with Wild Rice Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...