A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,749
Currently Running With Scissors:
499 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Crafting" for Soldiers -- many photos  (Read 6384 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kochopia

Sir Rexford Buttonworth III

View Profile WWW
« on: June 20, 2010 08:49:39 PM »

EDIT: I am not sure if this should go here...

My cousin was just sent over seas to Afghanistan. I can't really say too much about where he is and what he does, but I will say that it is pretty rough over there and they have no water to wash with, just to drink...

My mother and I are sending him a box of goodies. Last time he was sent overseas, we were made aware that some of the men over there never receive mail...at all. So we decided to make small boxes of goodies for a few of the soldiers that may not get packages like the rest of them.

We found these small VHS cassette tape boxes at staples and thought they'd be perfect for individualized packages for the soldiers. We made ten of these little car boxes.

These are the supplies

The boxes and a peppermint size reference

What was included in each box

Open and Closed box

Supplies for my cousin

The labels for each box

We also included toothbrushes and individual gold bond powder bottles...

I sincerely hope they like everything we sent...there were two different flavors of powdered drink packets...and they each got four hand wipes (not a lot but it shows we care).

We also sent two decks of playing cards and a Chess/Checkers/Tic-Tac-Toe set (travel sized). My cousin received two sticks of deodorant, baby wipes (they have no water to bathe), a small thing of sunblock, neosporin, and a battery powered fan.

-Kate
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010 08:50:59 PM by Kochopia » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lady Pistola
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010 09:10:31 PM »

What perfect little 'containers' for such a worthy cause! How do you know where to send it to? Are you going to send it all to your cousin and he will distribute them?  In tough situations, its so nice to receive ANYTHING...I think these will be VERY well received!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have vintage smurf sheets and do embroidery and stenciling...wanna swap?
soccerfren
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010 11:24:23 PM »

great idea! my best friend just completed his third tour and lived for my care packages. what i ended up doing for his buddies was i'd go to the post office and get a prepaid flat rate box, fill it with goody bags and mail it to my friend and he'd distribute it to his boys who weren't receiving anything
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010 11:33:54 PM »

this is awesome and inspiring, and it is sad to think that some soldiers arent getting anything at all.
I would definatly like to assist in anyway I can, tho as I am in Australia, I imagine that it would be quicker to send straight to a soldier, rather than yourselves to be sent on.
I will have to investigate custom restrictions, but please let me know how I can help.
Kind regards
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
glasstapper
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010 01:07:42 AM »

This is so, so awesome of you; my bro is in Iraq right now. I'll ask him if any of his buddies have needs I can buy tiny versions of stuff for. You're inspiration, I have total respect for your troop-care!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thenorm02
Crafty Mamma <3

didnt know my whole world would fit in to 8lbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010 06:25:37 AM »

I almost cried when I read this post. my big brother is in the army -infantry, and he goes on missions where he doesnt have access to anything either. my husband is new to the army, almost in for a year now. I have met all the soilders in his unit and I cant imagine any of them not having the small comforts that make deployment bareable. thank you for doing this
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Just_webby
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010 07:28:46 AM »

This is an AMAZING idea!!! Thank you so much for supporting the troops like this. I have a few friends over in Iraq right now and it warms my heart that you are doing so much for the men and women over there serving our country. I definitely think "This ROCKS!" *clicks the button*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cre8ivegenes
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010 07:56:42 AM »

If anyone ever wants to send care packages there is a really cool web site.
http://www.anysoldier.com, anysailor.com or anymarine.com
You can pick a soldier, marine or sailor and read their post and send them something.
They really encourage letters and if you want to send goodies as well that is great.
They will often post what they need, don't need and their living conditions but they always
cherish the letters. It's fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kochopia

Sir Rexford Buttonworth III

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010 08:09:33 AM »

What perfect little 'containers' for such a worthy cause! How do you know where to send it to? Are you going to send it all to your cousin and he will distribute them?  In tough situations, its so nice to receive ANYTHING...I think these will be VERY well received!

My aunt sent me his address, and in the letter we sent to him we asked if he could distribute them to some soldiers that may not get anything

If anyone ever wants to send care packages there is a really cool web site.
http://www.anysoldier.com, anysailor.com or anymarine.com

I was JUST going to talk about this you read my mind!

Thank you for all of your support...it is a good cause and i am sure any little bit helps them...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010 08:17:03 AM »

thanks very much for the link!
I have also hit "this rocks", hoping you get onto hot topics, such a wonderful idea needs more people to know about it,
regards
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Wrigley Field Chef Shows How to Make Chicago Chopped Relish
Calorie Counting at the State Fair: Do You Even Want To?
Hot Dog Restaurant Keeps Customers Coming For More Than a Decade
Trashy Term: Anthony Eats America Ep. 3 - Deleted Scene
Jalepe-NO! Anthony Eats America Ep. 3 - Deleted Scene
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Bird Feeder
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...