A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,065
Currently Running With Scissors:
375 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stereoview cards  (Read 1122 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

StickerChic87
« on: August 09, 2010 11:46:47 AM »

So I bought a bunch of cool old stereoview cards at an antique store and am thinking I could make something fun out of them...any ideas?

These are stereoview cards:  http://www.stereoviews.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seleniebeanie
Running on all 4 cylinders!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010 09:06:44 PM »

They're very interesting - The web page you listed has them selling for $18-$100 each. There's no valuable ones in the bunch of them? I've never seen these up close, can you see thru them without the viewer if you were to hold them up to the light?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My ultimate gifts to receive: Thread and Glue Sticks!
StickerChic87
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010 09:40:43 PM »

They're very interesting - The web page you listed has them selling for $18-$100 each. There's no valuable ones in the bunch of them? I've never seen these up close, can you see thru them without the viewer if you were to hold them up to the light?

I couldn't find any, plus the colors on mine are pretty faded. They are made out of thicker cardboard material so they aren't transparent...not quite sure how they actually work. They were calling to me from the corner of the shop though. I'm toying with the idea of using just one as cover of a mini handmade journal, and also maybe jazzing one up into a bookmark...still thinking though... Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seleniebeanie
Running on all 4 cylinders!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010 06:02:40 PM »

i was thinking maybe making  a suncatcher-type curtain with them. drill/punch a couple small holes on each edge & use jewellry jump rings to attach them all together - if you don't have jump rings, you can make them cheaply - just use the metal coil from a spiral notebook & use wire cutting pliers & cut along a straight line & you end up with 35-50 little rings.

the unique thing about these things is that they're neat to see when held up to the light. how about removing them from the cardboard frame & covering a lampshade with them (I'm envisioning a drum-style lampshade)....maybe hand-sew or hot-glue the corners to hold them in place.

how about removing the cardboard & using a hole punch all the way around each picture, then crochet them together to form a tote bag. you could probably get that cardboard off by soaking it in warm water - it wouldn't affect the pictures.

have fun & post your project
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My ultimate gifts to receive: Thread and Glue Sticks!
StickerChic87
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010 08:38:50 PM »

These are really great ideas!

Unfortunatly, there are no transparent aspects of the cards. They are just thick cardboard with the double picture printed onto the cardboard.

I wish they were now though, because I really like the suncatcher and lamp shade ideas!

So I was thinking about picking out one and making a panoramic type notebook with it as the cover.

Once I figure something out I will def post pics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dw7178
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010 08:41:22 AM »

The only idea I keep getting is to maybe cover some kind of box with them.  Or even a  waste basket then give them some kind of clear coat to make it cleanable.  They would also be cool as a desk top with a glass on top.  At least that way you wouldn't have to alter them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
muddy21
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010 03:22:44 PM »

The cards work sort of like 3-D movies.  You slide them into the wire holder at one end of the viewer then you look at them through the lenses at the other end.  The pictures are just ever so slightly shifted from each other, so what you end up seeing is a single 3-D image.  Pretty impressive technology for the pre-computer age!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Miss USA Nia Sanchez LIVE
You’ll Never Guess The First Thing Miss USA Ate After Her Victory
See Makeup Pro Kandee Johnson Transform Into Taylor Swift
Pick Up This Purse Essential on Your Next Grocery Trip
The Best Beauty Products for Summer Chosen by Essence
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...