A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,087
Currently Running With Scissors:
477 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First attempt-need some advice  (Read 737 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rizzleraz
« on: June 20, 2010 03:09:34 PM »

Definitely not as easy as some of you make it look. I got the hang of it as I went on though. I made a beautiful and accidental thick and thin. I do have a little concern with whether or not this will be overspun when i take it off. I didn't learn of overspinning until about 5 minutes ago. How do you avoid overspinning? Also, does the think-thin wonky look come from an uneven draft or does how I spin also effect that? Finally, I can't find anything that tells me what to do with the end of the yarn when I'm finished. I'm afraid the spin will come out.
Here's my creation!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
LadyLeitzen

feisty cat lurves roving

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010 06:45:33 PM »

hey there! i'm a newbie spinner myself, but i think i can answer some of your questions.
  • overspinning: i don't have a ton of info on overspinning, but i do know that you have to set your twist when you take the yarn off the spindle (see below), so don't worry if it's kinking up right now.
  • the thick-thin quality does mostly come from an uneven draft. how tight you spin can affect that a bit.
  • okay, here's how you take the yarn off the spindle. do you have a swift? the easiest way to take the yarn off and measure it at the same time. just a board with evenly placed nails will do the trick, or the back of a chair, or someone else's hands, or your own feet. wind the yarn around one of these objects and tie it off in multiple places.
  • washing your yarn will set the twist: soak your yarn in warm to hot water and a little mild dish soap for 20-30 minutes, or until all the yarn is submerged, but don't agitate it or it could felt! change the water, add a little conditioner if you desire, and soak it again. finally, change the water a third time and let it soak again!. 20-30 minutes each time will work. for single-ply, hang the yarn over a hanger and weight it with a spray bottle. let it dry competely and you're done
if you're plying your yarn, wind the stuff you spun onto a bobbin or spare knitting needle, and don't set the twist by washing. ply your yarn in the opposite direction you spun... i.e. if you spun clockwise, ply counter-clockwise, then when you wash your yarn and set the twist, it shouldn't need to be weighted. hope i helped and good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wanderingskopos
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010 03:08:18 AM »

That looks lovely!

Overspinning is a relative thing - if you want to ply yarn (i.e. take 2 or more singles and twist them into the opposite direction from spinning), you need to have the singles be so twisty they kink up on themselves when let loose. No need to wash before plying, but if you want to keep it as singles then make a skein, tie it in a few places so that it doesn't get tangled, dunk it in hot water so that it gets thoroughly wet, and hang to dry. I've never bothered to weight the skein as I haven't had any problems even if it doesn't hang perfectly straight - weighting is AFAIK mostly for weaving yarn. You can also thwack the skein against the bathroom wall or something a few times, that's supposed to help to set the twist and at least it gets some of the water out! Singles will usually be a bit twisty even when they aren't overtwisted, but unless it's very twisty it usually doesn't matter in a knitted object, and washing helps to set the twist.

Have you seen these videos? They've got good info on making yarn and getting more consistent:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPUORvO-GZE (intro to spinning pt.1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAVYmG9zeK8 (pt.2)

This page has a lot of info and videos:
http://www.ispindle.com/toc.htm
They talk about pre-drafting, which I'm way too lazy to do - I try to find fibre that's fluffy enough that it doesn't need fluffing up, and then just tear a chunk or strip that's a nice size to hold in my hand. But if you have really "sticky" or matted/felted fibre or if you want to make a specific type of yarn where you need to pre-draft, then it can be really useful and they have a nice video showing how to do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rizzleraz
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010 06:09:47 AM »

Thanks so much for the advice and the vids. Last night before I went to bed, I set the spin and it doesn't look half bad. Yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010 12:46:16 PM »

I thought I'd add a little here to the last question, about the end of the yarn. I wouldn't worry about that. Just tuck it into the rest of the yarn and it will hold itself until you wash/set it. You can always, always re-spin it if you lose too much twist. Smiley And, if you tie your skein up well at the end, it shouldn't be a problem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homespun gifts for your friends and family!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/shallwespinmydear
Will be posting more items soon. Check back!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make New Orleans Gumbo
How to Make San Francisco Sourdough Bread
How to Prepare Traditional Mardi Gras Food
Make Ahead Gravy
Open-Faced Hot Turkey Sammys
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...