A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting machines...  (Read 466 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Minimummy

Taking it one WIP at a time.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 20, 2010 02:29:29 PM »

I just wondered what the general consensus is on knitting machines? If I mentioned them to my Nan she'd probably spit at me like a llama because she's an old hand at knitting and has a very strong appreciation for all the hours she's put in.

I can see why they annoy old timers but still...I am intrueged and slightly excited by the prospect of a quick knit if they work well.

What do you all think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog:
http://www.mothering-heights.net

Can't wait for winter to reappear!
dancingbarefoot
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010 12:08:16 PM »

I just wondered what the general consensus is on knitting machines? If I mentioned them to my Nan she'd probably spit at me like a llama because she's an old hand at knitting and has a very strong appreciation for all the hours she's put in.

Well, they've been around a lot longer than your mom, so they're not new-fangled inventions or anything. It takes a lot of time to learn machine knitting, too - a quite high learning curve compared to hand knitting. I don't see why the ability to try difference techniques with different tools should upset your mom (or anyone).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1. All fungi are edible.
2. Some fungi are not edible more than once.
~~Terry Pratchett~~

my blog | index of free machine knitting patterns
ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010 02:02:28 PM »

(I've tried very few machines, so take this with a grain (or more) of salt Wink )

I don't like using the knitting machines. I don't like the manual kind where you slide the yarn feeder(?) back & forth, because they really bother my shoulder (obviously not a concern for everybody Smiley ) and the noise is well...noise.

And the (mostly) fully automated machines - you set it up, hit the 'go' button and walk away to do something else. For me, that's not knitting. And they're noisy too.

I *know* people can make gorgeous things with both kinds of knitting machines, I'm just not one of those people.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

lylacfey
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010 01:29:26 AM »

My DH has one. It is really nice. They have been around forever. Loom knitting has been around since the days of Cleopatra. I do agree that machine knitting has a huge learning curve. You can't beat making an afghan in a few hours and being able to give it as a gift or cuddle up in that night after it's made. I also agree the biggest downside to them is the drop stitches. You have to go really slow. Yes, it's worth it for the time save.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Homemade Strawberry Pie Recipe
How to Make a Better Blueberry Coffee Cake
How to Make Healthy Blueberry Muffins
No Churn Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Recipe
Make-Ahead Desserts
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...