This has been in the making for quite a loooong time now lol, but *finally* it is pretty much finished
Joy joy joy.
Over the past year and a bit I've been really getting into historical re-enactment, mainly because my housemates have all been doing it for years and years. Next week we are off to Kentwell Hall in Suffolk to take part in their annual Henrican recreation of Tudor life. My boyfriend has been going to this since he was a baby and so I really wanted to get involved and go with him
I'm going as a low player, hence the pretty plain and simple costume, due to my low status. I've tried to keep this as authentic as possible. Pretty much all of it is completely hand sewn, apart from the seams up the side of the bodice, and I used plastic coated steel boning for the bodice instead of a more authentic material.
I didn't really use a pattern for the kirtle. I found a bodice generator somewhere on line and sort of adapted it to the right shape, but most of the pattern cutting was done by draping the material. It ended up being far to big initially, which I only realised after I'd sewn it all together, so had to unpick the waistband, and put in a back seam so that I could cut out the excess material. The waist band was also initally to low for the period, so altered the straps slightly so it got pulled up high enough. The shift I made using a pattern found on the Elizabethan Costume page - http://www.elizabethancostume.net/
. It's a brilliant resource for costuming for those who haven't seen it
Here's some pictures
(I hate photos of me so my face looks ridiculous!!)
The shifts are made out of linen, and then stained with tea to make them look more aged, as I didn't want to go with a bright shiny new white shift
The kirtle is made from some lovely brown wool material I found.
And a full shot of the whole thing -
Yeh, I know I'm not wearing a shift in this which is highly indecent of me, but it shows by lovely belt and pouch
And a close up of the eyelets. Just these took me about 3 solid days of work. Completely hand sewn, and made using a needle --> nail --> pencil and finally a chop stick. Theres probably much easier ways of doing this lol.
I've also made 2 linen coifs, which are both lined inside, as well as a bag to attach to my belt which will hold by recorder.
For those that are interested the recorder is a single holed rosewood Mollenhauer Dream.
I still have one shift left to make, as I reallyyyy didn't fancy wearing the same one everyday for about 10 days. I'm also wearing a linen petticoat under the kirtle as well as the shift.
Pretty excited about going now!!! Just need to repair the authentitent and make the boyfriend some hose and we're all finished
Very excited!! Anyway thanks for looking
If any of you are interested in seeing what goes on at Kentwell, this is the website - http://www.kentwell.co.uk/