A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
774 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: One of those, "I MUST have one" projects...aka, paper wreath*Now with a mini-me*  (Read 3665 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bananasandhair
"What's with today, today?"

View Profile WWW
« on: June 19, 2010 01:38:32 PM »

I saw this somewhere and instantly wanted one, but didn't really want to fork out the cash (nor could I afford to) to buy one on etsy, so I went for it and decided to make my own. My original thought was that I probably shouldn't make one since I would probably never finish it, like almost all of my other projects I start, but for once I actually did finish....in one day!...in one sitting..!!!!

For me, since none of you know me, that is quite the accomplishment.

Thar she blows... Shocked

It came out a lot bigger than I expected. I used a 12" green foam (not that plant mush one, it was just green in color and could be used for floral projects) wreath, much cheaper than the white Styrofoam and way better in quality. Overall it's probably about 2 1/2 feet in diameter...crazy.

I used an old book that I read once. Since I decided I was probably never going to read it again it seemed like a good choice. Plus it was like 400+ pages so I knew I wouldn't run out.

I painted the edges of the book *before I ripped out the pages* with a mixture of water, black and grey paints. Dried with a fan and started ripping. I used almost the entire book, minus about 50 pages or so. The whole process, with several breaks for Coke with grenadine (homemade cherry coke!), and a few minutes of rest for my poor burnt fingers, took about 3 hours.

If you want to know more about the process, check the blog link at the bottom where I found the tutorial for this bad boy, I pretty much followed them exactly.

Angled shot to show some of the depth:

I plan on making a smaller version out of magazine pages, another time perhaps. My poor glue gun needs a rest.

My friend asked for one, so I made her a smaller one, that I ended up liking more than my original! It has orange/yellowish edges because orange is one of her favorite colors Smiley Sorry, I'm kind of a picture taking fiend.

The book I used for hers was the DaVinci Code, because frankly, I didn't think it was all that great  Cheesy

I'm not really sure how I came upon this project, I thought it was here on Craftster, but I can't find a posting. Regardless, I did, however, manage to bookmark the blog from where I got the tutorial on how to make one:

http://livingwithlindsay.com/2009/11/librarians-please-avert-your-eyes.html
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010 05:15:00 AM by bananasandhair » THIS ROCKS   Logged
landofoz
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010 02:09:06 PM »

I ADORE this!!  It is awesome!!  And yours looks SO much better.  The way you kinda rolled the pages as opposed to the folded look in the tutorial gives it a much softer, less-messy look.  I just might be making me one of these...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunshinekitty1
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010 02:13:42 PM »

This Rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lady Pistola
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010 03:41:42 PM »

I was looking at that exact same tutorial yesterday! LOL! I even went to the library today at their used book sale to find a book! (Didn't end up getting one...not sure why) But yours looks super fantastic gorgeous! There is something so elegant about the whole thing. Dontcha think?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have vintage smurf sheets and do embroidery and stenciling...wanna swap?
spectrumsparksie
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010 02:18:20 AM »

This is fabulous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

suzyscissors

There's only one thing I love more than crafting..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010 03:14:05 AM »

That looks awesome!  The painted edges make all the difference.  Thanks for sharing Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cherryrose
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010 12:47:20 PM »

I think I must have one!  Roll Eyes  This looks amazing, I like your version better than the tutorial too.
You did that pretty quick, I think it would take me way more time. (no wait, I'm 100% sure of that)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*I'm up for personal swaps!*
http://www.wists.com/cherryrose
bananasandhair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010 04:39:33 PM »

Does anyone else find it a bit ironic that "Lindsay" from the tutorial/blog site mentions how expensive the ones that she found at a booth were and is then selling hers for MORE than that price on Etsy?! Just a thought... Huh  Roll Eyes

Moving on....I think the painted edges help give it much more depth, and although on the original, she painted hers, I think mine were quite a bit darker. The contrast is a must. I do want to make one with magazines but I'm not sure what the effect would be without painted edges and with lots of color? I'll defiantly post pics if I attempt another one of these bad boys.

As far as time is concerned: This is one of those projects, for me at least, that once you start you have this compulsive need to finish it...so go for it!

And thanks for all the compliments! <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahdi
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010 03:15:20 AM »

I absolutely love this.  I am going to be putting one together this weekend.  I was also thinking about adding a few Kusudama flowers (edged with a different color) in a little cluster somewhere on the wreath.  My husband is an English teacher, and I think that he needs one for his classroom.

I also have trouble finishing projects, but this is so cute that I think I'm going to try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bananasandhair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010 05:06:43 AM »

I absolutely love this.  I am going to be putting one together this weekend.  I was also thinking about adding a few Kusudama flowers (edged with a different color) in a little cluster somewhere on the wreath.  My husband is an English teacher, and I think that he needs one for his classroom.

I also have trouble finishing projects, but this is so cute that I think I'm going to try!

I think that a Kusudama flower would be a neat addition to one! I'm not sure where you would put them, though, so if you do that please post pics so we can all see!

Totally unrelated, I cannot believe people pay $50 for something they can make at home, so simply! I saw some on etsy that were much simpler than mine, just rolled pages. Don't get me wrong, they were nice looking, but still! $50?! Guess I just don't get it Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Deep Fried French Fries Recipe
Good Morning Fried Egg Breakfast Recipe
Doggone Good Hush Puppies Recipe
Southern Oven-Broiled Catfish Recipe
Hot and Tasty Onion Rings Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...