A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,191
Currently Running With Scissors:
546 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Poor Crafter's Mask (With tutorial)  (Read 1288 times)
Tags for this thread: mask , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Britannica
« on: June 19, 2010 11:50:33 AM »

I call this a poor crafter's mask as it is made from basic materials, no fancy plastic or anything.
First- pictures!

This one is the first I made. I needed a mask for a masquerade, so I improvised this. I went as an East Indian lady- hence the lotus flowers and the bindi.

This one is thinner than my first one and doesn't keep its shape as well, but it used less materials and was faster to make as well as lighter. The two swirls on the side are connected by a thin strand of clear thread used in jewelry so that the whole side will lie flat.

This one rather than a simple mask modeled to my face has an added nose. The frame-work for the nose are actually toothpicks taped together. It sounds fragile, but it's actually held up not badly.

Materials needed:
Aluminum foil (or other sort of foil)
Masking or artist's tape
Mirror
Scissors
Pencil
Acrylic paint
Paint brushes
Hole punch, Exacto knife, or similar tool
Ribbon, elastic, or other tie
Needle and thread (optional)

Instructions:

1. Cut out a large piece of foil which is large enough to cover the area for your mask and more. For more strength, you may want to use at least two layers of the foil.

2. Mold the foil to your facial features.

3. Carefully mark where your eyes are. Take the mask off, and punch small holes for your eyes from the inside of the mask to the outside so there will be no sharp edges close to your eyes.

4. Put the mask back on and look in the mirror to see how it looks. Take the pencil and mark the outline of your mask.

5. Cut along the outline. Try on the mask again, and repeat until the mask is the desires shape.

6. Draw how you want the eye holes to be shaped. This is best done with the mask off and even on a separate piece of paper that can be flipped to trace both eyes.

7. Cut out the eye holes and make sure they look even.

8. Tear or cut small pieces of the tape and apply them to both sides of the mask until no foil is showing. Put on a couple layers of the tape so that the mask is not be so very flimsy.

9. Paint the mask. It is advisable to paint at least two base coats so that the edges of the tape will not be so obvious.

10. Let the mask dry.

11. At both sides, just above where the ears would be, cut a slit or punch a hole for the tie.

12. Thread the ribbon or elastic through the holes. Knot the ends or fold them under and sew across them.

Enjoy your mask!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010 06:49:05 PM »

Awesome and will take these helpful hints. You rock.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Britannica
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010 01:02:02 AM »

Awesome and will take these helpful hints. You rock.

Thanks!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010 07:02:00 AM »

Miscellaneous must not get a lot of traffic. Maybe you can move this over to sewing / costumes. There is a move thread button at the bottom left of the page that only the post originator can see, and you can move it over there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Britannica
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010 09:17:50 AM »

Miscellaneous must not get a lot of traffic. Maybe you can move this over to sewing / costumes. There is a move thread button at the bottom left of the page that only the post originator can see, and you can move it over there.
Okay, thank you. I wasn't sure where this would belong.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jennifer Weiner Discusses Fly Away Home
Wicked Authors Nancy Holder and Debbie Viguie
Holly Black Describes the Inspiration Behind White Cat
Author Lisa Tucker Reveals Her Best Quality
Author Elizabeth Noble Reveals the Inspiration For Her New Novel The Girl Next Door
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...