A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
544 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 1920s dining room complete makeover (very picture heavy)  (Read 4152 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gamerbabe
« on: June 19, 2010 08:32:25 AM »

Okay so the dining room now looks like this

It was a long process though

When we looked at my house, the dining room really bothered me but I knew we could fix it because it was only cosmetic. The wallpaper, wall color, light fixture, and scratched up floors made me hate the room.

It started with the chandelier. We took it down and primed and painted it with oil rubbed bronze spray paint. I replaced its light bulbs and hung it back up

We moved on to painting next and used a historically accurate teal color from Lowes. I painted the top portion of the wall dark teal and love it.

We decided to wallpaper the bottom half where the wallpaper was up from the previous owner. I couldn't remove it without seriously damaging my plaster walls. I bought some paintable textured wallpaper from Target in a damask pattern and went to town with dh. If I were to do it again, I'd pick a smaller pattern. We wasted a lot of wallpaper getting the design correct but it was our first wallpaper job and I'm happy with how it turned out.

We painted the wallpaper white after we put it up and sealed the seams with paintable caulk. It helped give the wallpaper a seamless look. We also put up wood trim between the painted section and the wallpapered section.

We decided we didn't like the floor and I went through a stage of painting the floor. It's a good idea in theory but my floor didn't like it. Whatever was on there made it so the paint didn't stick and we had to sand it or replace the floor. We decided it couldn't get much worse so let's sand and stain and see what happens.

The floor started out like this.

And not that you can see it well, but the floor was chipping. Whatever was previously used was more like paint and was instead of stain. it looked awful in spots. So we rented a sander and sanded, stained, and polyed the floors ourselves. Which led us to this

I love the room so much more now and feel like it goes better with my 1920s house. Now I just have to get the rest of the rooms in shape too. I already did the ( front living room), but there are a lot more rooms in this house to make pretty!

You can see the complete photo set on  my flickr or check out my blog for the other stuff I'm working on Smiley
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010 08:41:16 AM by gamerbabe » THIS ROCKS   Logged

swansong
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010 09:02:41 AM »

I love the color on the top of the walls! And the white below it makes the room really bright. The floors look fantastic, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Old Lace
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010 09:08:04 AM »

Love the color choices.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kristy_n_kritters

So freggin' fabulous, she spits glitter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010 02:17:55 AM »

OMG! I want to live in your house! I was in love with what you did with your front room when you posted it... and now this! When can I move in ? Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What is this "normal" you talk about? Is it contagious? OMG! Stay away! Don't touch me! I might catch your normal!
gamerbabe
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010 07:56:24 AM »

Thanks you guys! I was totally in love with how it turned out

"When can I move in ?"

Hmmm... I do have a couple roomies and one of them received orders to another base and leaves within the next 6 months Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

schizo319
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010 07:14:28 PM »

LOVE your dining room, and the pipe shelf on your blog too! I'm such a sucker for historical houses, and I love that you're keeping that "feel" with out that "old lady just robbed an antique store" thing that I see so often in older homes...  Wink  btw, recognized your blog from the peas - small world, eh?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eatmoreplants

AppleAndTree.Etsy.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010 11:35:31 PM »

wow what an improvement! i love the little birdcage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apple & Tree
appleandtree.etsy.c om

Apple and Tree believes in the philosophy of re-using before recycling. We make one of a kind pieces using salvaged items as base material and offer authentic vintage fashions.
tunami56
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010 11:20:45 PM »

I think it looks much more unique and home-y now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gamerbabe
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010 06:39:53 PM »

"btw, recognized your blog from the peas - small world, eh? " ha totally! I think I enjoy crafster more than pea land. Wink

And ty! We're trying to keep the feel of the house's age without it being like a museum or something. I also don't want it to be too themey either. It's a fine line, I like to think we're walking it well.

The little bird cage has a singing flower specimen. I heart it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Santa Montefiore
Meet Author Patti Stanger
Paul Malmont Reveals His Favorite Person in History
Kathi Appelt Wishes She Had This Talent
Lisa Rinna Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...