A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 304,869
Currently Running With Scissors:
484 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cloth Nappies  (Read 1396 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zucch3ro
« on: June 18, 2010 10:48:07 PM »

My cousin is having a baby girl any day now and she mentioned that she would love to give cloth nappies a try, so I decided to make her some. I made 12 in total and used the Rita Rump Pocket pattern found here:

http://handmadebyrita.blogspot.com/2007/10/classic-rrp-ritas-rump-pocket-pattern.html

But they are actually stuffed, I used 3 layers of towelling and sewed it into the lining. I also used a very thin shower curtain to line them to make them more leak proof. So they wont be able to put them into the dryer but the curtain was very thin so it doesn't make those squelchy sounds when they move. The outside is made from op shopped baby blankets, all flanellette. The lining is patterned jersey. If I were to make it again I probably wouldn't use jersey for the centre it made it hard to line up the pieces and it doesn't sit flat like the outside but I m pretty happy with the finished product.

I didn't put any snaps or velcro on so they can be used for a larger range of sizes. Anyway onto the photos ...

here is one all folded up

this is the outside of one laid flat

this is a semi-folded one that shows the inside

this is all 12 of them folded up together

it all ended up taking much longer then i expected so I am quite glad they are finished!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
glambastard
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010 11:12:26 PM »

aww. these are awesome. I have always said I wanted to try cloth diapers when I finally have a baby. I'll bet that was a lot of hard work....all those layers!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, I currently need art (paintings or something to hang on a wall) but I'd be up for anything.
RuneAriala
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010 05:28:30 AM »

Are they designed for an insert or do they have enough room for one?  Because a newborn baby will go through this many or more diapers in one day.  I found that the diapers with a little more space to put a folded prefold work better than the clothies built like sposies.  Mostly because for new parents, the longer they can go between laundry cycles the better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nilmerg

I'm inspired by all your posts to craft some more

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010 01:52:35 AM »

Even if she only uses them part-time she is still doing a great thing for an environment and for her hip pocket! The great thing about cloth is that every time you use one of these nappies, it is one less disposible that goes into landfill. I'm pretty new to cloth nappies myself and recently found out that in Australian and new zeland alone 3.75 million tonns of disposible nappies go into landfill PER DAY!!!!

You have made enough too that she can save them up and wash them together. I love pocket nappies, they dry so quickly because you can remove the inner part. What a great gift and from recycled materials too.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zucch3ro
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010 03:45:14 AM »

i only made 12 so far, I know she will go through a lot but she said she is only planning on trying them out when she is at home. If she decides to use them all the time I can easily make more, but I think 12 will be more then enough to begin with. The baby still isn't due for a couple weeks so I hope she likes them, but I suppose they can use them as burp cloths or for dolly diapers later on.

RuneAriala and nilmerg they have the inserts sewn in so they only have to wash once, I am planning on making ones with the inserts that come out, as mentioned before they will dry quicker. But I will see how my cousin likes them and i she decides to continue using them. Thanks for the comments guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Saturn
The Ditzy Gypsy

Dance first. Think later.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010 11:15:42 AM »

This is probably a "duh, obvious!" question to ask...but not having had children yet and being from the disposable generation I gotta ask, how do you get these things clean and sanitary? Do you just empty everything in the toilet and then wash them or what?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am currently in:
WWP Round 29 Lughnasdagh 2011 swap!
Date to send item by: 07-25-11
runciblespoon
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010 01:54:25 PM »

I used cloth nappies last time round and found they cleaned up nicely after a soak in some water with tea tree oil and then a normal machine wash. Must confess, though, that this time I;m back to disposables. This tutorial might just inspire me to go back to cloth - they are just so sweet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Write in Italic Handwriting
How to Stitch a French Knot
How to Apply Iron on Transfers
How to Tie Dye a Bikini
How to Do Stitches on the Sewing Machine
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...