A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,033
Currently Running With Scissors:
475 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lace Garter!  (Read 1014 times)
Tags for this thread: lingerie  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Knotmad
« on: June 18, 2010 04:43:11 PM »

I hope this is in the right spot! Let me know if it's not....

I destroyed a couple pairs of lacey panties that I didn't like to scavenge the lace and elastic. After much seam ripping, my grand experiment began.... Really, it is rather embarassing how long it took me to make something so simple, but I console myself by knowing that I was playing with several different styles and materials. This is also the first time I was using a lot of elasticy things that were somewhat unstable as fabric. The result: 

Ta da!

I will make it tighter and use longer bits of lace next time (and there WILL be a next time). I love that it is a 'reversible garter', or would have been if my sewing machine wasn't throwing a fit.... I don't think my bf will mind, and I am happy with my practice garter. I had planned on embellishing it, but don't want to make it non-reversible. I like options.

Other lessons:
1. sewing the lace directly to elastic as you pull it does not make the lace gather tightly enough to make a pretty garter.

2. sewing piping (from panty fabric) to slip the elastic into isn't worth the trouble and doesn't look as cool as you think it will.

3. commercially made garters that lay the lace flat are made that way because it is WAY easier than making it awesome.

4. replicating commercial garters is super easy, but why bother?

5. awesome boyfriends are very supportive of experimental garter-making.

Thanks for looking and I love comments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IronyandParadox
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010 06:06:19 PM »

Learning experiences are always good.  =)  Your garter is cute--what method did you finally wind up using?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Knotmad
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010 07:43:55 PM »

Ha! Thanks! My garter recepie:

Take two strips of lace that are several inches longer than the circumfrence of your thigh (where you want to wear the garter) and lay them on top of each other.

Stitch them together the long way on the 'almost midline, but slightly to the left'. Then lay your elastic as close to this seam as you can. I left my elastic uncut until the final sizing.

Carefully stitch a seam on the 'almost midline, but slightly to the right' to fully enclose the elastic. Pinning the elastic to the top of the lace helped. This wound up being mutch easier for me than stitching the casing and then trying to work the elastic through afterwards because the stretch lace didn't slide very nicely.

Now you can experiment with bunching up the lace and how tight you want the elastic to be. When you've decided, just cut the elastic to size, stitch the elastic ends, and hand stitch the short ends of the lace together. Embellish as you like. Hope this helped! Let me know if it is unclear and I will clarify as best I can.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Marilu Henner on Her Audiobook, Total Memory Makeover
The Places Laura Griffin Visited Researching for Her Novels
City of Lost Souls Book Trailer
Merits of Mischief: The Bad Apple Book Trailer
Ilchi Lee on The Call of Sedona
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...