I hope this is in the right spot! Let me know if it's not....
I destroyed a couple pairs of lacey panties that I didn't like to scavenge the lace and elastic. After much seam ripping, my grand experiment began.... Really, it is rather embarassing how long it took me to make something so simple, but I console myself by knowing that I was playing with several different styles and materials. This is also the first time I was using a lot of elasticy things that were somewhat unstable as fabric. The result:
I will make it tighter and use longer bits of lace next time (and there WILL be a next time). I love that it is a 'reversible garter', or would have been if my sewing machine wasn't throwing a fit.... I don't think my bf will mind, and I am happy with my practice garter. I had planned on embellishing it, but don't want to make it non-reversible. I like options.
1. sewing the lace directly to elastic as you pull it does not make the lace gather tightly enough to make a pretty garter.
2. sewing piping (from panty fabric) to slip the elastic into isn't worth the trouble and doesn't look as cool as you think it will.
3. commercially made garters that lay the lace flat are made that way because it is WAY easier than making it awesome.
4. replicating commercial garters is super easy, but why bother?
5. awesome boyfriends are very supportive of experimental garter-making.
Thanks for looking and I love comments!