A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,530
Currently Running With Scissors:
327 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Opinions Needed - Trip Around the World Quilt  (Read 2497 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 17, 2010 07:49:42 PM »

Evening Ladies and Gentlemen.  I'm in the planning stages of a new quilt for my best friend's wedding, and need some fresh opinions and advice....  Alison and her fiance really love to travel.  (He even spent a few years in Africa in the Peace Corps.)  She's from Salt Lake City and grew up surrounded by desert.  He's a Midwestern boy who grew up surrounded by prairie and corn.  Alison and I went to graduate school together, and she was my maid of honor at my own wedding.  In planning for that, I happened upon this poem, which a friend of mine read at our ceremony:

I want to go everywhere with you.
I want to go to Italy and Israel and down the street.
I want to lie on a raft under the sun in the South Pacific with you and float and float and float.
I want to go the tallest building on the highest mountain in the biggest city.  And I want to up on the roof with you and look around.
I want us to pool our talents and pool our resources and create together, that which we have not been able to create independently, alone.
And I want you in smaller ways, too, right here, with me, holding my hand and kissing me.

That poem, and their love of travel inspired me in the design of their quilt.  I knew I wanted to use the classic "Trip Around the World" pattern, and for the fabrics, I wanted to use fabrics that represented the world's various environments and design aesthetics.  I know I won't be able to include something for EVERYTHING, but I'm trying for a somewhat balanced feel to it. 

I used the Quilt Wall feature on eQuilter.com today to plan the quilt out twice, once with 9 fabrics, and once with 10 fabrics.  I think I've decided which one I want to go with, but I'm always excited to hear what you all have to say.

This is the version with 9 fabrics:

Here is a detail shot of the 9 fabrics:

(Left to right: Asian flying cranes, snow-capped mountains, calm turquoise ocean waters, deep forest, grasslands, African golden zebra, autumn ferns, cracked red clay, garnet wood-grain)

This is the version with 10 fabrics:

Detail shot of the 10 fabrics:

(Left to right: Asian flying cranes, snow-capped mountains, calm turquoise ocean waters, deep forest, grasslands, golden zebra, autumn ferns, cracked red clay, red violet ginkgo leaves, garnet wood-grain)

Aside from wondering which version you all prefer, I am also stumped about what color thread to use to quilt such a bright quilt, and what to go with for a backing.  I'll be free-motion quilting.  I've toyed with the idea of incorporating the poem somewhere on the back, but I don't want it to be too cheesy, or to be too reminiscent of my wedding, when the focus should be hers.  I've also toyed with the idea of writing the poem out and framing it, and giving them the two together.  (Something I did for my cousin's wedding quilt, which was inspired by Frost's, Stopping By The Woods On a Snowy Evening.)

Thoughts?  Ideas? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
anaximander
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010 12:13:32 PM »

I really, really, really love this. REALLY.

Seriously.

*drool.*

Personally, I like the 10-colour one better, but I'm obsessive compulsive like that.

As far as quilting goes, what about using multiple colours? One of the favourite rainbowy ones that I did, I used different variegated threads, blending them into each other as I meandered.

For gifting, I would do a nice photo of the quilt in a double frame with the poem in the other half. I don't think it will take away from her wedding at all, in any way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010 07:55:07 PM »

I like the 9 color better. It seems sharper, the other one seems a little "muddy" in that area.

Do you want the quilting to blend in or pop? I might go with a medium gray...that sounds boring though lol!

What does the backing look like?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
sloth003

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010 07:41:14 PM »

i vote 10 colour... i found the purple out of place in the 9 colour but it blends nicely in the 10...

and i think a print out (or practice your calligraphy) of your poem included in the card would be lovely... and i agree with maremare a medium grey for quilting...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010 08:37:56 PM »

Do you want the quilting to blend in or pop? I might go with a medium gray...that sounds boring though lol!

What does the backing look like?

Actually I like the idea of a medium grey for the quilting... maybe a slightly warm French grey... hmm... Good call MareMare! 

As for the backing, I haven't come up with a plan yet...

i vote 10 colour... i found the purple out of place in the 9 colour but it blends nicely in the 10...

and i think a print out (or practice your calligraphy) of your poem included in the card would be lovely... and i agree with maremare a medium grey for quilting...

Thanks for the idea about the poem in a card!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bambii8899
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010 03:14:08 AM »

I like the 10 colour one best cause the colours feel like they flow better together in the quilt.  If it was my quilt i would want to either pick one of the fabric colours to do the quilting with or use a more neutral colour as already suggested c ause you wouldn't want to draw attention away from the beautiful pattern. I can't wait to see the finished quilt!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects in 2012  8/50
destash-along
crafted cushion swap-sent
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010 07:08:28 AM »

Well, I broke down and bought the fabrics.  I went with the 10 fabrics route, since whatever I decide, I'll still have all the fabrics I need.  Let's see how fast eQuilter ships, and how long a good old fashioned strip quilt takes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aliped

Only dead fish go with the flow ....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010 03:40:44 PM »

I like the 9 color one slightly better, because I like the center color better, both in the center and around the edge of the diamond.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cmoore
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010 02:55:31 PM »

The colour gradation is more natural there with 10.

I'd either go with multiple threads, a multicoloured thread, or a medium toned neutral for the quilting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010 06:15:39 PM »

Thanks for all the help and advice ladies!  I ended up going with a medium brown for the backing, and the quilting thread, and I'm REALLY happy with how the quilting looks.  The brown was soft, but a medium tone, and blended so beautifully with all the jewel tones of the quilt.  I ended up going with the 10 fabrics as well.  I have the whole thing together and quilted, but not yet bound.  I'll be doing that during Crafternoon Delight this weekend.  I'll be sure to post a link to the finished quilt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Video Editing - Sony Vegas Basics P.7
After Effects Tutorial - Making a Space Explosion
How to Resculpt with Filter Manipulations
3DS Max 9 Tutorial - Blowing Up a Planet P.2
3DS Max 9 Tutorial - Blowing Up a Planet P.1
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...