A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,571
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need help making some crazy shoulder pads  (Read 6717 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jilltheimpossible
« on: June 17, 2010 03:58:40 PM »

Hello all!
I was hoping somebody could help me out as I'm having a bit of a problem. I'm about to get started on crafting my halloween costume for this year and I wanted to be Astrid from How to Train Your Dragon because let's face it...she's a hardcore chick. So anyway the problem I'm running into is how to make these crazy awesome shoulder pads that she wears:

I considered just taking the shoulder pads out of an old hockey uniform and using sculpy to make it appear more like armor, but then I realized that if I tried to attach the pads to the shirt with those little skull buttons that she wears- the pads would be way too heavy and would stretch out the neck of the shirt tremendously and would be almost unwearable. That's really the only idea I could come up with and it kind of fails. Does anybody have any other ideas on how I could do this? The pads don't have to look EXACTLY like the picture because that would be really hard to achieve, but I want them to at least look pretty similar.
Thanks for reading!
Jill
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Annchan
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010 04:02:46 PM »

Check out www.405th.com
It's a site dedicated to making replica armor. Try looking around the forums or even post your question there. I find the people are really helpful on that site.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cyanidejoy
haphazard seamstress

I am the fluffy singularity.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010 04:52:57 PM »

Styrofoam!  or Aluminum foil!

with the styrofoam you could just carve it into a rough shape then cover with air dry clay or sculptey.   Aluminum foil you could just bunch up and shape into roughly what you want then cover. 

Really good idea for a costume, good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

They'll name a city after us-and later say it's all our fault.
HardLuckGal
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010 05:18:05 PM »

maybe you could make them out of sheets of foam. just cut it into strips and add the dots and skulls.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010 05:18:10 PM »

I'd make strips interfaced with craft weight interfacing, and self lined, then fan them out like that, and tack them together (either with hand stitching, or fabric glue) that way they could be tacked right onto a shirt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
RebeccaRuthless
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010 06:11:10 PM »

Two words for you: Craft foam.

It is honestly the best thing for making simple armor for one time wear, and it's relatively cheap. Work with paper first to find the shapes you want and to make sure they can over lap nicely. Once you have the pieces, cut them out and put a lining in. Overlay an inner material (cotton, etc. anything, really) on the inside and seal with the craft foam sealer. You'll need to seal them to paint them or the foam sucks it up--I used a simple 2:1 ratio of water to glue, mixed up. Apply it with a brush. Apply several coats until you stop getting air bubbles. Spray paint/air brush/whatever you wish. Put together.

I made these with craft foam:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y229/Nakira/Armor2.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y229/Nakira/Armor.jpg
(I also handcrafted the gems, but that isn't here nor there.)
These were part of my cosplay at Otakon '09 (In July) and those made it through two moves, and I just took them. It holds up well, right? C:

But as you can see, they hold up rather well (like I said), are light weight, and really quite easy to make.

As for the skull, if you're not too picky, you could make those also from the craft foam and maybe use self-adhesive velcro to attach it to the shirt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Artisan82

formerly Crafty.Canadian

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010 07:21:31 PM »

You could get two bowls from the dollar store, cut the side off (not quite in half) and use them as the base.  You could paint or paper mache them to look like the armour.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post all my crafty stuff on Facebook.  I'd LOVE if you'd like my page!
Artisan 82 on Facebook
My baby, my Etsy shop: Artisan 82 on Etsy
suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010 09:24:49 PM »

I would cut the base strips out of cardboard and paperclay and paint them till they looked like what I wanted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010 05:42:48 AM »

I revoke my idea, and totally back the idea of craft foam!  That would be pretty easy to do, and ought to make the shapes perfectly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Strawberryh

Jesus save me from your followers

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010 09:17:02 AM »

Here are a few ways to do it.
One is poster board in silver. This is the easiest.
Paint rivits on with silver Fabric paint  or white glue that you can paint over with silver paint and nail polish in silver works too.
 Another it Milk jugs or ice cream buckets.
If you want to use it again and again
then go for pickle buckets (white  5 galon buckets) but for that you will need a jig saw
and with plastic you have to sand it before you paint it and it chips if you dont use plastic paint.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Sunday Dinner Part 1/3
How to Make Sunday Dinner Part 2/3
How to Make Sunday Dinner Part 3/3
How to Make Chorizo Burgers
How to Make an Italian Beef Sandwich
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...