A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,941
Currently Running With Scissors:
649 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Everything" craft store wholesaler advice and recommendation.  (Read 1945 times)
Tags for this thread: brick_and_mortar  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« on: June 17, 2010 01:08:33 PM »

A friend of mine and I are looking into opening an "everything" type craft store.  yarn, ceramics paints, xstich embroidery etc... everything.  We know there is a need for it locally, as all we have is 3 aisle in Walmart craft section,  quilting store,  and a scrap book store.   It's the everything else  we plan on stocking up on, though we would still carry some of the stuff available at the other stores to. 
I know to be professional and welcoming to everyone. And I have a husband who is a buisness owner himself, who has already provided me with all that type of information.  What I'm looking for is recomendation for wholesalers, suppliers and the like.

We are in the very begining stages of it trying to price out suplies and over head costs and location and the like.  But having a more clear idea of what wholesalers charge we could get a more clear picture of the start up costs and find out if it's even feesible.

Thanks in advance for the advice and recommendations ladies (and gents, there must be some of you out there Cheesy )

THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010 06:59:24 PM »

As with any other product, the wholesale price depends on a number of factors; the product and where/from whom it's purchased, brand vs a more generic, popularity/trendiness/rareness, and you have to consider shipping costs into the whole, along with the quantity you order/potential discounts for volume. Typically a retailer like you would double or triple the price of any item depending on your profit margin and what consumers will bear. What you have to do first is find your wholesalers and compare prices. Very tedious indeed, but that's all part of owning the biz.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010 07:45:20 PM »

Those are a few things I didn't think of... shipping cost, and volume discount....   Thanks for putting out a few things you know about it!  Now to research wholesalers... fun Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissMalaprop
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010 03:55:52 PM »

Unanimous Craft is a fairly new resource for all things craft related, and they have a list of craft-related companies that sell wholesale. Mind you, some of these might be supplies and some might be finished products, but hopefully it's a start:

http://www.unanimouscraft.com/category/main-topic/potential-consignment/wholesale-sellers

There is a blog called The Crafty Retailer that is all about the type of store you want to open, so I would highly recommend checking it out and reading through the archives. Lots of tips on promotions and other things that will be valuable for your new endeavor!

I would also recommend checking out this blog series, which involves the steps for writing a business plan for a crafty brick & mortar shop: http://www.modishblog.com/biztips/retail-brick-by-brick/
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010 03:58:23 PM by MissMalaprop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010 05:55:57 PM »

Thank you MissMalaprop!! That is likely going to be an invaluable source of information!!! THankyouthankyouthankyou!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissMalaprop
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010 09:39:49 PM »

No problem! I'm slowly working my way towards a brick & mortar store myself (I want to sell finished handmade goods though - sort of a handmade/eco-friendly gift store), so I know it can be difficult to find information about this. There's so much for opening an Etsy shop, etc, not as much to be found for a full-fledged storefront though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010 06:46:59 AM »

Oh sweet!  Good luck with your store!  I hope it takes off quickly!

And that was pretty much all I could find, was information on starting an etsy or artfire...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissMalaprop
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010 04:23:30 PM »

You could also try looking online for independent craft stores that are similar to what you want to do, but that are in different areas, and try contacting them to see if they'd be willing to give you some tips. It might be a total stab in the dark, and some people might not respond or might act like you're crazy, but who knows, you might actually find someone who is willing to take you under their wing and give you some of their hard earned tips?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010 05:39:04 PM »

that's a good idea to!  I would never have thought to be so forward about it.  But is worth a try.  The worst that could happen is no response or an Are you nuts? response  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissMalaprop
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010 09:26:08 PM »

I've personally had good luck with other people being very open and helpful with their knowledge, which is why I try to pass on any that I have. So hopefully you will have good luck too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Put Together a Black Collage
How to Decide on Your Scrapbook Layout
A Guide to Hybrid Scrapbooking
How to Choose a Scrapbook Layout
How to Begin Scrapbooking Online
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...