A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
851 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: small batch winemaking  (Read 4025 times)
Tags for this thread: wine , cooking  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kazyeeqen
« on: June 17, 2010 12:15:25 PM »

Hello, hi everyone. This is my first post. I've been lurking.

Maybe this isn't exactly food, but it's ingestable, and I wanted to share so here it is.

I've been making wine in one gallon batches, one gallon every month, since February (still have to make the June batch, cherries maybe, I missed out on the roses cause I was lazy)

Here are the four wines I have going:

In order of oldest to newest:
Pumpkin, tamarind, rhubarb, passion fruit

They are all clearing really nicely, but I still don't have the faintest idea whether or not they taste good. Gotta wait a year or so to find out. Hopefully they're alright, cause I guess by then I'll have 12.  Smiley

The pumpkin is the prettiest, I used brown sugar and it turned a great color.

I've been using effectively the same recipe, just with different fruits and different sugars, it's about 2lbs sweetener (brown sugar for the pumpkin, agave for the passion fruit, regular evaporated cane juice for the other two) some tannin (I've used a whole bunch of raisins, but I didn't like feeling like I wasted all those raisins, and black tea), fruit in varying amounts (only 2c passion fruit or tamarind, but they're potent fruits, 6c rhubarb or pumpkin) and a package of wine yeast. And a lot of sterilizing. Lots of sterilizing.

Boil water, add sugar, pour over fruit in a bucket, add tannin, acid of some kind (hard to say how much really I needed, since the fruits I used had wildly varying amounts of acid naturally), some yeast nutrient and energizer just to be on the safe side, and add yeast after it cools.

It's been really fun, hopefully they all turn out well, in 2011... Smiley

Thank you for looking. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
achgfd
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010 12:33:50 PM »

the pumpkin wine looks delicious! I know nothing about wine brewing but that is a really neat idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ReLovely

Mean people suck!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010 12:41:50 PM »

What a great idea -- a gallon of wine per month.  And of all different flavors Shocked 

Looking good!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dancer4Ever
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010 12:52:32 PM »

Cool beans! Now I want to make wine. I wonder if my friend will be ok with making it in our place once I move? And the pumpkin sounds amazing! And so does the tamarind one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bento Swap Round 4- Sent
MAF Round 6- Working on package 2
All Things Hayao Miyazaki Swap- watching movies and gathering ideas
June 2010 Birthday Swap- Crafting for a fellow June baby
Post Secret Swap- crafting away my secrets
alorralora
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010 12:54:40 PM »

Bravo!!  I love it when people make their own stuff!  Sure, it's cheaper to buy jam/quilts/wine/etc. from Walmart, but the quality and taste...dreadful!  Not to mention you know what is really being put INTO it, too!  I also like the fact that you did some fruit that you don't normally see on the shelves.  Variety is the spice of life!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIST it up babee...WIST and shout!!
http://www.wists.com/alorralora
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010 12:55:38 PM »

Neat!  I can't wait to find out how this comes out!  My husband brews his own beer, and has made hard cider before, but we haven't tried making wine yet....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
kazyeeqen
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010 01:34:35 PM »

Heh, I actually wanted to make beer, which is what started this whole year long project. I kept hearing from people that beer is harder than wine, and that there isn't any point in making less than 5 gallons of beer, and that seemed like a pretty heavy investment, for the ingredients and the equipment.

There's lots of recipes out there for one gallon wine though, and I work in the produce department of a food coop, so I get all the damaged food I want! Cheesy That's how I ended up with tamarind and passion fruit, and pumpkin for that matter. The rhubarb came from the back yard.

So it was pretty cheap, just sugar and little things, and the equipment was easy too, big pots and gallon jugs, which are pretty standard equipment in our house.

I know now that I could make a gallon of beer if I wanted to and naysayers can be damned. Smiley But I'm still really glad I'm doing this, it's been a real education in fermenting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NikonGoddess
Witch with a camera

Happy, loving, witchy woman with a camera!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010 01:45:10 PM »

This sounds fantastic. I may have to attempt to try to do this. I've always wanted to make wine.
Thank you for the instructions. The pumpkin one sounds really good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm on hiatus from swapping.
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010 02:15:17 PM »

That is so cool!  A friend of mine and I tried brewing mead one time.  It didn't end well at all.  I would totally be willing to try again, though.  You have to post an update once you find out how they taste!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010 02:29:18 PM »

Nice work! Good clarity on the pumpkin.

Did you put any spices in the pumpkin wine? (My brain keeps thinking of pumpkin juice at Hogwarts if you speak HP. Wink )

I think when it comes to brewing beer vs. wine, it depends on perspective. Both require a certain level of sanitation to ensure that you don't contaminate your beverage. Wine is easier in setting up but takes longer to ferment to the point that it's drinkable. Beer, meads, melomels and cysers (i.e. "meads" made with fruit juices, not just honey) are more tedious from the beginning but can produce a something drinkable in a much shorter amount of time.

Regardless, most all home brewing involves an investment in time and space over the long term. Oh, and paper towels and mops if something goes wrong along the way. Wink

Oh the story of an old boyfriend who had a batch of his mead explode in my closet...yeah, those were the days. LOL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sabrina Jeffries on Her Novel When the Rogue Returns
Daisy Lewellyn: What Are You Reading?
Whitney Holcombe on Writing About Her Weight Loss
Elizabeth Winthrop: What Are You Reading?
CoolAger of the Year Awards
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...