A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
579 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: small batch winemaking  (Read 4000 times)
Tags for this thread: wine , cooking  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Angel8
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2010 06:11:19 AM »

[/quote]

I'm definitely going to be making beer. It's been on my to-do list for ages, but there's just always something more pressing... Smiley I will probably just start with a gallon, since my husband and I drink very infrequently it makes sense for us (plus our house is quite small, it's always best to make projects small).

I've heard recommendations to start with malt extract instead of malted barley for ease, but I am partial to the most basic ingredients when possible, do you have any advice on that? (if you tell me malted barley is easy to use I will be most reassured) Smiley 
[/quote]

What you would like to do, is called "All-Grain Brewing", it's alittle more difficult. I would have to go with the advice that was given to you already, start with malt extract. Just until you get the feel for it. You'll only have to brew a couple of batches before you'll be ready for all-grain.

Plus, you can pickup malt extract kits for about $30. It gives you everything you need to get you first batch going. The only issue I can see, is that almost all beer brewing formulas call for 5 gallons to be made at a time.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I have all kinds of web sites and info to help. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tomico
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2010 09:50:07 PM »

I am a brewer as well though I have only brewed mead, gruit and real ginger beer. I have also made liquerers (not really brewing but interesting anyway). I like unconventional ingredients. My husband, the more experienced brewer, tends to try to keep things tried and true but I'm a mad scientist and play with all our herbs and spices as well as edible flowers and strange veggies. I'm hoping to try tomatoes some day.
    I'm interested in the rhubarb. That can go great or really bad but if it goes bad you may only want to forget about it for several years. Apparently, rhubarb is slow to age. I saw a recipe that recommends using pineapple juice with the rhubarb.
    Definately try the roses when you get a chance. My best batch of mead so far was a rose, hibiscus and elderflower mead. We have just tried a rose, blood orange and vanilla extract mead that we just racked tonight. In my opinion mead is really easy but you have to have as much patience as you do with wine. Yes, you can drink it within 6 months but most mead makers feel that a two year mead is "young".

Good luck and I hope to hear about more batches in the future.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LoveNTheOcean
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2010 09:32:07 PM »

Mmm, that wine looks delicious  Grin!
I've made wine the "jail" way with a balloon.
I thought the "wine" was a joke and before I knew it I was drunk as a sailor.
Lol. I'd love to make batches of wine but I'm very impatient. I couldn't help myself from "tasting" it on a daily basis. Haha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2010 09:12:50 AM »

Heh, I actually wanted to make beer, which is what started this whole year long project. I kept hearing from people that beer is harder than wine, and that there isn't any point in making less than 5 gallons of beer, and that seemed like a pretty heavy investment, for the ingredients and the equipment.

I think those people might be crazy Cheesy  As someone else already put it, you're almost there with supplies already and the turnaround time is sooooo much faster!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Faux_Valentine
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2010 01:29:04 PM »

I'm thinking of changing my major in college to biology and today we learned about fermentation ( anaerobic respiration XD) and i would love to try and make some wine. These look so delicious i will need to go around and try and find some recipes and equipment lists and how to sterilize equipment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2010 02:45:42 AM »

they look fab, my friend makes wine from almost anything, her rhubarb wine is amazing and Carrot! Everyone should try carrot wine.
at Uni i lived with the president of the real ale society, i helped him brew on a number of occasions, it smelled so good while we were making it, and boy did it taste good
we had some properly tested for strength etc once, it was quite a strong one
whenever we went to visit a local brewery we'd take some bottles of our stuff to give to the guys there for their opinion, was quite a good deal, they got a bottle or two each of our homebrew and we had two furkins of their stuff to drink between 12 of us
good times
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
Raremoon
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2010 11:16:44 PM »

Looks lovely! I have yet to try any brewing of my own, but the peaches in the backyard are ripening very nicely this season, so I may have to try it for myself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kazyeeqen
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2010 05:33:33 PM »

Looks lovely! I have yet to try any brewing of my own, but the peaches in the backyard are ripening very nicely this season, so I may have to try it for myself!

Peach wine sounds good, I bet it'd be delicious.

Update:
I racked three of the four, and decided I was going to just see how these four went before making any more, it's summer now and there's a lot of things to do... Smiley

So far my favorite is rhubarb, it seems mild and dry already (though it's still way, way early to tell). The others (tamarind and pumpkin) seems kind of... alcohol-y, and I can't really detect other flavors. Undecided

Hopefully they will develop better flavor as the months go by. I don't really know how they are supposed to taste at this stage anyway, just thought I'd try them so I'll be better at assessing future wine development. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
astrangeone
The Paper Alchemist

Fueled by the scent of rubber shavings....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2012 03:47:32 PM »

I'm making a batch of Prison hooch (fruit juice, yeast, a bit of raisin juice, and a lot of sugar).  It's the same way, but it's not a bad flavour.  (It should age for quite a bit longer, although.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I handcarve stamps, knit and have organic catnip.

Got shopping?:  http://www.shophandmade.com/Store/Madstamps

Personal Swapping...activate d!

Looking for:  ATCs, some dry non-sanded grout mix

Got a 3DS?  I can clear save data from your games!  (Including RE Mercs 3D.)
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Baby Blanket
How to Crochet a Baby Hat
How to Choose Crochet Yarn
Crochet for Beginners: Half Double Crochet Stitch
Crochet for Beginners: Double Crochet Stitch
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...