A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 298,073
Currently Running With Scissors:
567 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: granny squares  (Read 1954 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KimberlyPye
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2005 07:38:02 PM »

I wrote out a pattern for a simple traditional granny square in response to a question at Stitch Guide.  If you'd like to see it, here's a link:

http://www2.stitchguide.com/cgi-bin/sgbb/webbbs/webbbs_config.pl?read=3899

Annalou, you're a freakin' genious.  I've been looking for a granny square pattern all night.  My mom tried to teach me how to make them a long time ago, but we both gave up.  And tonight I couldn't figure out any of the patterns.  I figured I was too dumb.  But I just used your pattern and WOOOOO!!!  I can make granny squares now!!

Your pattern was so easy to follow, I don't think I even need to look at it the second time!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

~Kimberly:-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annalou
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2005 06:31:37 PM »

You're most welcome.  Guess all those years of writing up detailed lab reports that others had to be able to follow rubbed off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When's the last time you were inspired?
Hoopey
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2005 06:48:39 PM »

I learned granny squares from Martha.  I think this pattern is pretty easy to follow, too - y'know, just as another option

http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=channel172176&contentGroup=MSL&site=living

i recommend starting in just one color, and then graduating to multiple ends & colors later.  not too much too soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
prettyhowtown

perpetually missing some key piece of information

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2005 07:33:31 AM »

Annalou, you rock! I too can make granny squares now . . . and they are even square! Double bonus!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annalou

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2006 01:31:54 PM »

I'm hoping that one of you who liked my version might have a copy of the instructions.  The site that I originally posted it to was merged into something else, and the post disappeared.  Please PM me if you have a copy.

thanks,
annalou
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aelita

Yes I am Goth.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2006 05:10:10 PM »

darn I came too late annalou b/c I wanted to check out ur site but it was gone. Well I also learned how to make a granny square on this dvd I checked out of the library called The Art of Knitting & Crochet 2 and it showed me how and now I am so happy b/c I can finally make a granny square.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There will always be people who say mean words  because you are different, and sometimes their minds cannot be changed. There are many more people who do not judge others based on how they look or where they are from. THOSE are the people whose WORDS truly matter.

http://li-lis-page.blogspot.com
Homerof2

Loving life being a full-time wife

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2006 05:47:37 PM »

Granny squares are one of my favorite things to make!  I learned to make a traditional granny and that's all I made for many years but then, I found the internet! and found that there are literally hundreds of different patterns.  I love doing searches for new and interesting patterns and trying them.  Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't but you just keep trying.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Listener15
Just call me Listy

Keep me away from Craftster will ya! Ha!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2006 09:12:32 PM »

Dang it!  Too late also.  Anyone have the instructions?  I was just going to try to do a granny square too. *grumble*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annalou

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2006 06:34:48 PM »

I'll keep looking to see if I saved a copy of my instructions somewhere . . .

In the meanwhile, take a look at:
http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/ltc-granny_square.htm

Update:  Here's the info for all who wanted it:
Here's the granny square pattern as my grandma taught me:

A. ch 6, sl st in beginning ch to form ring. ch 3, turn.

B. 3 dc in ring, ch 2, 4 dc in ring, ch 2, 4 dc in ring, ch 2, 4 dc in ring, ch 2, join with sl st to top of turning ch. ch 3, turn.

C. 3 dc in ch-2 space, ch 2, 4 dc in same space, ch 1, (4 dc, ch 2, 4 dc) in next ch-2 space, ch 1, (4 dc, ch 2, 4 dc) in next ch-2 space, ch 1, (4 dc, ch 2, 4 dc) in next ch-2 space, ch 1, join with sl st to top of turning ch. ch 3, turn.

D. 3 dc in next ch-1 space, ch 1, (4 dc, ch 2, 4 dc) in next ch-2 space, ch 1, 4 dc in next ch-1 space, ch 1, (4 dc, ch 2, 4 dc) in next ch-2 space, ch 1, 4 dc in next ch-1 space, ch 1, (4 dc, ch 2, 4 dc) in next ch-2 space, ch 1, 4 dc in next ch-1 space, ch 1, (4 dc, ch 2, 4 dc) in next ch-2 space, ch 1, join with sl st to top of turning ch.

You can finish off here, or continue on using the repeating pattern of putting 4 dc in a ch-1 space and putting (4 dc, ch 2, 4 dc) in the ch-2 spaces at the corners. By continuing row after row, you could make an afghan that is one huge granny square!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006 06:41:01 PM by annalou » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cifuller
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2006 08:15:46 AM »

Hi craft kitten! I am making that same granny square shawl from Lion Brand. I am almost finished. It was a pain to get going on it, because I had never made a granny square previously either. I just love the colors in it and I had to have it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Recognize Reality TV Editing Tricks
Nuke The Fridge
How to Notice TV Editing Tricks
How to Join a Reality Competition Show
The Harry Potter Glossary from the Fans
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...