A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,914
Currently Running With Scissors:
425 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Where's Waldo? Suitcase. AKA My new traveling companion!  (Read 8811 times)
Tags for this thread: wheres_waldo , suitcase , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2010  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

anafelix
« on: June 16, 2010 07:56:37 PM »

Unfortunately I don't have any before shots, but I think it was a green-ish gray color. I lost the before shots because I've been working on it for about a year and a half. And by working on it, I totally mean painting a few lines then procrastinating and leaving it for a month.

I had this suitcase for a while before I decided what to do with it. I think I had even painted it pink with acrylic paint. I scrubbed most of that off and sprayed it with Walmart spray paint. Eventually, after procrastinating for a while I bought small jars of red and white enamel. I taped it and started painting the stripes. That took FOREVER because I had to wait a long time between each coat for it to dry. Then I used polyurethane and put three to four coats on each side. I wouldn't advise using that on white because I have noticed it's got a slight yellow tinge that will probably get worse with age. Hopefully it will hold up when I use it.

The inside is what took me the absolute longest, why it's been a year and half. I couldn't figure out how to reupholster the inside so it would stick permantely and so the glue wouldn't show through the fabric. Spray glue WILL NOT work, and I tried elmer's glue and I even mixed that with a little bit of gorilla glue. Sticky, but it made the fabric really hard. I HAVE FOUND THE SECRET. If you put fabric on the sticky side of contact paper you can put glue on the back of it and it won't show through. Then you can use a thin layer of whatever glue you want, I used wood glue and gorilla glue mixed and spread in a super thin layer.

I'm still not technically done, I didn't put fabric on two of the sides but at this rate I'll never have it done. And it's still usable. The only thing I would have done differently is when I put the tape on I just painted it. My brother who custom paints cars told me I should have heated the tape with a blowdryer so it would seal and I'd have sharper lines. Good advice that I'll definitely use if I ever decide to stripe something again.

I'm taking it on the train to Texas in two weeks, so I'll update when I get back if it chips or anything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lady Pistola
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010 08:12:17 PM »

Genius! Rocks and Wisted for sure! I'm glad that after all that hard work and time, it came out so great! Let us know how it holds up! (I'll be checking back!!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have vintage smurf sheets and do embroidery and stenciling...wanna swap?
landofoz
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010 08:42:57 PM »

Hubs was walking by (mr. anti-craft) and he says, "Whoa.  Is that a Waldo Luggage?"  Hubs doesn't even notice what I'M crafting!!   Roll Eyes  Anyway, I love the irony.  It's poetic: where's waldo.  On luggage.  Just makes good sense.  We've all been training since Kindergarten to find that fella!    Wink  You did a great job!  Thanks for sharing!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suzyscissors

There's only one thing I love more than crafting..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010 08:45:04 PM »

Do you think you'll have a hard time finding it on the luggage carousel?  Waldo is not always the easiest to find you know.  lol  

Carmen Sandiego would be cool on a suitcase too.. Now to go out looking for an old suitcase Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
embercostumer
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010 09:26:00 PM »

This rocks and is epic. I love waldo!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my website: www.embercostumes.com
Fontiua
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010 09:40:35 PM »

I found him! great job so cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creating something from nothing is the most theraputic thing in this world for my soul.
anafelix
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010 06:53:55 AM »

On the luggage cart will probably be the only time Waldo will be easy to spot.

The only thing I'm worried about is it being stolen. Train travel shouldn't be an issue because it's small enough to be used for a carry-on. But if I ever fly again I know I'll be freaking out about it. But the culprit should be easy enough to spot, and it will be even easier to describe to the lost baggage if I ever have to.

When I was brainstorming things to paint on my suitcase I thought of Carmen Sandiego too! I'm moving right now, but when I get settled I think I'll start one. Then I can have a set of travel superstar suitcases.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
matie1138
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010 06:52:53 PM »

friggin' cute!!! and I'd be concerned too about being stolen since the colors are so bright!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AshtonagoL
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010 07:44:48 PM »

That is so cute!  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spicytaco
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Lalala...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010 02:42:34 PM »

Oh my goodness I love that!  Grin It's great.

Good tip about heating the tape too. Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*insert witty saying here*

I has Wist.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
BBQ Baked Beans Recipe
Secrets to the Perfect Burger
How to Shape a Burger
How to Extend the Life of Your Leftover Burgers with Bacon
A Bunless Burger You Can Try This Weekend!
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...