A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 309,970
Currently Running With Scissors:
461 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Denim maxi skirt  (Read 1822 times)
Tags for this thread: maxi_skirt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RovingAnarchist
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2015 06:55:52 AM »

I can't take photos to save my life, so it looks kinda crappy. It's super comfortable and actually fits really well. Sorry if it sends some of you into a fit of home schooler shudders...

Front

Back

I'm actually quite proud of the stripes. My housemate was horrified last winter when we were coming home from grocery shopping and I found a huge heavy fake silk duvet cover FROZEN to the sidewalk near our place. I spent about ten minutes yanking it out of the ice- it was gritty and dirty all over. She disapproved. "What are you going to do with someone's garbage?!"

Well, duh. Run it through the washer and turn it into something cool.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I carry a bag that says FREE KNITTING LESSONS on my daily transit commute, & give a little hands-on tutorial to anyone who asks. They get a starter kit with needles, enough cotton yarn to make a plain dishcloth and a set of instructions. Swaps/donations for materials welcome!
StitchWench
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015 06:05:03 AM »

Firstly, great save on the duvet cover . . . fabric is fabric as far as I'm concerned and if it survives the washing machine then you've acquired some great yardage.

Secondly, your maxi skirt is lovely. I love the intrigue at the back . . . you've customized your garment delightfully.

Best wishes and more joyful sewing to you in the future.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Need Pink Floyd stamps for hubby! Will Swap!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016 08:58:10 AM »

lol I loved that I got to see this in person!  It was wonderful and creative!!!  It looked super comfy...I knew when I saw you that I had seen the skirt before...found it...lol

unless, of course, you have made more and this was a clone...the story itself of how you found the stripes is wonderful...ha ha ha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RovingAnarchist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016 05:59:33 AM »

It really is the most comfortable thing I own!

If you honestly took the time to stalk this post up from memory, you may have too much free time. (Or a Craftster addiction, which I can't fault you for. I'm here 9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday so I'm not one to talk!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I carry a bag that says FREE KNITTING LESSONS on my daily transit commute, & give a little hands-on tutorial to anyone who asks. They get a starter kit with needles, enough cotton yarn to make a plain dishcloth and a set of instructions. Swaps/donations for materials welcome!
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016 07:23:04 AM »

ha ha I was in love with what you wore because in the 70's I made skirts like this and loved them!

I also looked up your denim TM patchwork vest but did not want to post because...well, you know...stalkerish...ha ha ha...

Yeah--I really enjoyed your company and had to find out more about you and your talented self!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RovingAnarchist

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016 08:37:42 AM »

I don't think I ever did a post about the vest. Every metalhead in the world has a "battle jacket," as they're called in the scene. All I did was steal that idea and change the theme to something a little less... skully.  Smiley

Eventually I'll get around to actually sewing the vest part myself, and then it might be a post.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016 09:01:56 AM »

You posted a sample and then I found the patches that you had actually used--the one on back from roler was sweet! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kimmibram
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016 04:35:44 AM »

The skirt you have created is an absolute stunner and who could have thought that you have used an old duvet for styling this one. The details you have worked on the back make an amazing idea.so creative and simply awesome. What makes it even more wonderful is that you have not spent anything to create this gorgeous piece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RovingAnarchist

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016 11:51:08 AM »

Thanks, kimmibram!

I can't say I didn't spend anything on the skirt to be perfectly honest. I paid $5 for the two pairs of jeans that became this skirt. It was totally worth it. I made the skirt two years ago, and have worn it at least once a month ever since.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MoanAhhhLisa
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2016 10:36:23 AM »

This is Great!. Love the stripes. Love the way you salvaged the comforter. It's sooo me. I once had a flea market booth and when another vendor pulled out after a rain she threw a big bundle of denim in the dumpster. I dug it out. It was really really nasty with dust and it was wet and yucky. Turned out to be 2 duvet covers in perfect condition. I still have one intact and used the other to cut up.

There's no shame in salvage!!

Good job
Maxine Brandywine
(my old profile from 10 years ago)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Chandelier Earrings
Mad Cats in Fun Hats
Meatless Monday: Beet Greens Penne with Sweet Peppers, Capers and Pine Nuts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...