A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,760
Currently Running With Scissors:
517 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: best (inexpensive) fabric for embroidery?  (Read 2121 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ranchelmarie
« on: June 16, 2010 03:40:11 PM »

I'm looking for some fabric to do a few embroidery projects. It needs to be cheap money wise, because I have very little money to throw around, but of good quality for stitching. Even a set of tea/flour sack towels that aren't too expensive could work.
What do you guys like to stitch on?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

digital misfit

crazy doesn't begin to cover it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010 03:44:26 PM »

Any sturdy woven fabric will work fine (knits can obviously be embroidered as well, but woven fabric is much easier).  Upcylced bed linens are great, and one sheet can provide enough fabric for dozens of projects.  Muslin, broadcloth, canvas, etc are also easy to stitch on and relatively cheap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog to read my rambling, get free hand embroidery patterns, and even enter giveaways from time to time! http://myhidingplaceincyberspace.blogspot.com
ranchelmarie
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010 03:46:07 PM »

genius! I just remembered I have a bedsheet set that I bought to use the flat one as a backdrop for taking pictures. I'll use the bottom sheet for embroidering. thanks for the idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010 08:33:40 AM »

I usually stitch on whatever I can find. Old sheets, t-shirts I want to revamp. Pretty much any fabric or have laying around the house, you can stitch on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mafiosagrrl

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010 10:12:54 AM »

I agree with Kittykill, any fabric is fair game.  I like stitching on Muslin though, as long as its not too loose of a weave.  Basically feels like a nice soft cotton but its more of a natural color- not a bleached white.

Be sure to check thrift stores too.  There's always plenty of stuff to stitch on, just needs to be washed.  Some even have fabric sections if you're lucky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary". --Mary  Kurtz,  "The Needlework Times" April, 1978.

http://mafiosagrrl.blogspot.com/
berol
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010 12:41:10 PM »

Not that I've tried it yet (or tried embroidery for that matter!) but I got some cheap plain fabric at a regular non-cheap store that is for 'curtain lining' but at 2/metre it was cheap! Plus it was wide. I did not need a metres worth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*waves*
catyfaver

Dealing with being a tracer.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010 07:22:06 PM »

I love picking through the remnant piles at fabric stores. Sometimes they have some really cute patterns that are good for embellishing and there's always some white linen, muslin or other cotton that's good for stitching. It's a good way to try stitching on different fabrics to see what you like. If you're looking for more variety the fat quarters they sell for quilting are usually good for small projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Why, she wants to know, are women so susceptible to the fantasies of romance they encounter in novels? Maybe it is because the world outside of novels holds so little for a capable intelligent woman.
changlingsea

Let...Me...Go...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010 09:59:56 AM »

I like twill.  It's a fairly thick fabric so no one can see through to the back.  It doesn't come in as many colors as broadcloth or muslin though.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisalady161
Domestic Goddess & Closet Anarchist

...it's beautiful, and so are you...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010 07:39:13 PM »

My fabric of choice is white or natural cotton sheeting...1.99 a yard at local Hobby Lobby stores. It's thin but quite sturdy, and you can make tons of stuff out of it; bibs, hankies, pillowcases, clothing, etc! Same can be said for broadcloth.

I also like permanent press muslin. It's organic looking but doesn't ball up when you wash it, and I always pre-wash my fabric before transferring my pattern and embroidering.  Duck, Denim and twill are heavier and stand up well to stitching, and if you look for sales you can get great deals.  I also like to use Fat Quarters (quarter yards of fabric normally used for quilting). You can find lots of fun patterns and colors, and they don't cost much.

Though they are wonderful fabrics for stitching, I don't use linen or raw cotton much because depending on the time of year, I'm allergic to them. Sad

If you like to thrift shop you can find some great fabric for next to nothing,  Most US stores sell flour sack towels in their kitchen departments, but make sure your test them before buying. If you can wiggle your fingernails into the weave so you can separate the threads or you can stretch the cloth out of shape, they're too thin and soft for embroidery.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'First your pants, then your shoes' - Gary Larson, The Far Side
holliesademocrat
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010 11:02:35 PM »

My favorites are twill and canvas, they look nice when framed or hung in a hoop.

I just stalk the remnants bin!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Owl swap: crafting (but need to stop!)
TV Addict Swap: crafting
Christmas swap: crafting
FOC swap: crafting
TTFB swap: awaiting a partner
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get "Gossip Girl" Waves
Learn How to Do a Dutch Braid
Vidal Sassoon Hair Guru and Mr. Wash and Go Dies
How to Create the Rockettes French Twist Hairstyle
3 New Hair Products to Help You Look Beautiful
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...