A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,114
Currently Running With Scissors:
707 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: WIP Wednesday Mega Thread - What are you working on?  (Read 7987 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2011 09:42:08 AM »

I came up with the idea to work from the outside-in a few months ago.  A friend had made a triangle shawl and was raving about the process of making it because you started from the longest row and then decreased with each successive row.  I like this kind of pattern because you get the annoying, "this is taking too loooooonnnnng" part of the pattern out of the way while you're still feeling really motivated about the pattern in general.

I got to thinking about how nice it would be if you could do that with blankets made in the round (because blankets are my thing!).  The more I thought about it, the more I realised that there was no reason not to, really.

I've been messing with it ever since - trying to figure out how to do it with a variety of shapes, but up until now they've all been small motifs - 6 or 7 rounds, tops.   This is my first large-scale test of the technique.

Last night I was trying to calculate how long it'll take to finish it, based on the 5 rounds I did in 2 work days.  I *almost* started losing faith in the process and then I remembered: the next 5 rounds won't take that long.  The 5 after that will take less time still.  In this pattern, the number of stitches goes down by 16 on every round. YAY!

Oh! You might enjoy this!  On the bus going to work a little while ago, I got to wondering if you could make a granny square from the outside-in.  I tried it out on my lunch break and:

(The one on the left is outside-in, the one on the right is done the regular way)

I need to tweak it a bit, but this might be the next one I try out on a large scale. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

momcuellar
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2011 04:51:42 PM »

Outside in.  I like the concept!!

My biggest WIP is crochet rug canvas.

I'm still trying to figure out how to make my own rug canvas from filet crochet.  I finished my first square using butcher's cord, and used liquid starch to stiffen it.  It stiffened  wonderfully but the cotton inbetween the holes was way too bulky, and I had to cross stitch fabric onto it.  The locker hooking did not work. Cry  My next experiment will be with acrylic yarn to see if that stiffens with liquid starch. 

If not, I guess the crocheting of rug canvas will be shelved.  By the way, did I mention I have a ball of butcher's cording I have to figure what to crochet?  Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Catch a Falling Star & Put It In Your Pocket, Never Let It Fade Away.
Catch a Falling Star & Put It In Your Pocket, Save It For A Rainy Day.
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2011 04:59:08 AM »

momcuellar: have you heard of "wiggly crochet"?  You make an open mesh (like in filet crochet), usually with a thinner yarn, and then using a thicker yarn, you work dc stitches around the bars of the mesh so that they stand up (three dimensionally) from the mesh.

I used to make a lot of latch hooked rugs, and we put a non-slip goop on the back that not only kept the rug from slipping, but also helped keep things form shifting around too much.

In other news, I was home from work yesterday, and did some crocheting (naturally), so here's an update on my blanket:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

momcuellar
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2011 05:05:18 AM »

Thank you ma'am!!  Wiggly crochet, I'll look it up and experiment #2, and # 3 will commence.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Catch a Falling Star & Put It In Your Pocket, Never Let It Fade Away.
Catch a Falling Star & Put It In Your Pocket, Save It For A Rainy Day.
Willowe
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2011 07:12:27 AM »

The blanket's looking great. Are you finding that it's working up faster because, as you said, the biggest rows are getting done first?

Also, that outside-in granny square looks great! How would you work something like that? I'd imagine the first row of DC would be pretty straightforward, but then how do you work rows after that?

Might have to give that a try myself, if you don't mind. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
     -None Smiley

My Etsy
My Pinterest
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2011 07:25:18 AM »

Over all, the blanket isn't really going faster, but I do think the motivation factor is at work.  Knowing each round is getting smaller is as awesome as I'd hoped. ^_^  It was tricky to start it (you have to be careful not to twist a huuuuuuugely long ribbon of crochet), but now it's kind of like working lengthwise on a really long scarf.  As I get closer to the middle, I'm going to start treating it like cylindrical project (like a hat, maybe), otherwise it'll be too tricky to hold, I think.

For the granny, I did dc3tog for all of the "shells".  I used the chainless foundation technique for the outside round, by doing the dc3tog's with ch2 between them, and with a dc stitch sitting sideways along the bottom (outside edge) for the corners.

The following rounds were just dc3tog's worked into the ch2 spaces of the round before. 

The middle round was tricky... especially the last dc3tog.  Over all, though, one tricky bit isn't too bad. lol

I thought working the granny this way would be especially nice for making rectangular versions of the pattern.  I'm good at math, but for some reason, I was having a hard time wrapping my head around how long of a middle you need to start with to end up with the ratio you're looking for (I think the answer might be: make the middle line as long as you want the difference to be between the length and width of the finished blanket, but I'm not positive), so I thought, hey, start with the outside round, make it the size and ratio you're looking for, and then work your way in. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2011 03:04:22 PM »

I finished the blanket!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=378872.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2011 04:30:30 PM »

Yay! I'm glad you posted about WIP Wednesday in your afghan thread Mio, I love seeing projects in progress!
I love that hat, and I cannot wait to see the finished Dr Who blanket, that is way too awesome! How big are the squares?

Here are my 2 projects I'm working on, a shell stripe afghan, which might actually turn into a scarf because I'm working from stash, and I don't know if I have enough complimentary colors for an afghan.

And a scarf, I think the colors go together well, though they're not my colors. I'm just working on stash bust so I can justify buying yarn at yardsales this summer. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2011 06:11:11 PM »

Looking great, Val!

I admire the fact that you've got your odds and ends all together!  The best I've got is a small basket that sits on top of the 2 CD towers that hold my main Bernat Satin stash, but it is too full to put anything more in it, so my odd balls are all over the place!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2011 06:17:15 PM »

Lol, I PAID my mom to come over this past summer when she had downtime to do some organization for me. I'm going to become a frequent habiter of this board and the destash board this year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Michael Bobelian Talks About Children of Armenia
M.T. Anderson Reveals
Stacy Johnson Talks About Life or Debt 2010
Erin Downing Wishes She Had This Talent
Robin Sharma Talks About The Leader Who Had No Title
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #97-Container Crafting
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...