A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 305,036
Currently Running With Scissors:
357 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sock Monkey onesie and tutorial  (Read 2891 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

madebybird
« on: June 15, 2010 09:27:02 PM »

When deciding what to make for two of my girlfriends who are due this summer, I knew I wanted to try to use up some of my leftover Sock Monkey fabric so I created a Sock Monkey applique design using Microsoft PowerPoint (a program I use daily at work, but have recently started experimenting with for sewing and design projects).  I have a hard time stopping at just one baby gift, so when I came across this tutorial for cloth baby shoes: <a http://stardustshoes.blogspot.com/2006/10/cloth-shoe-pattern.html, the Sock Monkey gift set was born.  Theyre both having boys, but I think the set works for either a boy or a girl.

The cloth shoes were a little tricky to work with due to their small size and all the layers of fabric and interfacing, but - like most baby stuff - they were pretty quick to make.  It probably took me longer to cut out all the pattern pieces than it did to actually sew them together.  One thing I'd recommend is to play around with the length/tension of the elastic because if it's too tight it makes the tops of the shoes bunch up.  If you're attaching a little ribbon or button to the tops then this won't matter so much, but it can look a little wonky if you're leaving them bare.

Okay, now on to the exciting part...

I'm so thrilled with how the Sock Monkey onesie design turned out that I decided to make it into my very first Made by Bird tutorial!  You can download the PDF pattern at my blog here: http://www.madebybird.com/sock-monkey-onesie/
(The materials list and instructions are in the PDF and located below, but you'll need to download the PDF to get the pattern pieces.)

Here are the materials you'll need to make the onesie (or tee if your tot is a little older):

* Baby bodysuit or tee
    * Sock Monkey pattern (see PDF download)
    * 4″x4 piece of cream colored Sock Monkey fabric by Moda
    * 3″x4 piece of brown sock texture Sock Monkey fabric by Moda
    * x4 strip of red felt, ribbon, or fabric
    * Wonder Under
    * Thread
    * Sewing machine
    * Hand sewing or embroidery needle

And here are the instructions:

1. Prewash your garment and fabric scraps in hot water.  Prewash the red strip for the hat in the warmest water your material can tolerate.  The goal here is to prevent any future bleeding when you wash the finished onesie or tee.

2. Fuse Wonder Under to the wrong side of your fabric scraps (reference the Wonder Under packaging for fusing instructions.)

3. Print the sock monkey pattern pieces found on page 2 of the PDF pattern.

4. Trace the hat and mouth pieces onto the Wonder Under paper backing fused to your cream colored Sock Monkey fabric, and trace the face piece onto the backing fused to your brown sock texture Sock Monkey fabric.

5. Cut out all three pieces and line them up on your onesie or tee.  The top of the hat should be about 3-4 down from the neckline.

6. Fuse the pieces to your onesie or tee.

7. Zig-zag stitch around the perimeter of each piece.  Be sure to remove the flat bed attachment on your machine so you can easily slip the onesie or tee around the base.

8. Fold the red strip for the hat in half and knot the top.

9. Hand sew the knot to the onesie using embroidery floss or strong thread. Youll want to make sure its very securely attached to the onesie or tee.

If you have any questions or comments, please let me know.  I'd probably pass out from excitement if anyone sent me pictures of their finished onesies, but since this is my first tutorial, any type feedback you have would be greatly appreciated.  :-)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010 09:33:51 PM by madebybird » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crafting blog: http://www.madebybird.com
green r my tear$
I Praise GOD for my TALENT$ and MOTIVATION!!

U R ONLY LIMITED BY UR IMAGINATION!! SO IMAGE...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010 09:37:21 PM »

this is so adorable!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katrena'sGifts&Such

Enrolled Swap:
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010 06:58:15 AM »

This is so cute! I featured this project and tutorial today on Craftster's Facebook page. Thanks for sharing!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
madebybird
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010 08:14:55 AM »

WOW!!!!  I'm so so flattered.  Thank you so much!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crafting blog: http://www.madebybird.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Candy Bouquet With Dylan Lauren
How to Make Festive Halloween Decorations
How to Dye Fabrics at Home
How to Make a Wedding Pomander
How to Make Edible Halloween Decor
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...