A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,104
Currently Running With Scissors:
668 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: lightbrite table in the making (step by step) w/photos  (Read 3671 times)
Tags for this thread: table , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

frogz
graphic artist

View Profile WWW
« on: May 11, 2005 07:44:22 PM »

I've wanted to make a light brite coffee table ever since seeing it in Readymade. After months of knowing that I wanted to do this, I finally got together with my grampy (who is an awesome carpenter) and started to make it. I decided that for the benefit of everyone trying to make one of these things I'd post the pictures of its making. Unfortunately it still needs to be painted, but as soon as it is, I'll post the picture Smiley We changed the design a little bit from the ones in the magazine (this table is 2x2 not 2x4 and not quite as deep)

this is the fluorescant light we originally bought, but wouldn't work for two reasons. The biggest one being that it was too tall (it didn't fit nicely in the space we had). The second reason is that it's a light that's meant to be wired into a house, not just plugged in. So people, don't get this light (unless you want to have a light switch on the wall for it somewhere, which would be cool, but not very practical)

This is when the inner railing (the part that the plexiglass rests on) was being sized up. That piece of pegboard is just a scrap of 1/4" stuff to make sure that the railing was exactly 1/4" from the top.

This is my super-cool grampy making sure the pedboard we cut fit nicely into the box. You'll notice the one peg I stuck in there because I was bored.

This is the top part of the table completed (minus the plexiglass), before the legs or bottom were attached. As a side note, you can see that instead of butting the pieces of wood that make the sides, they were cut at a 45 angle so no grain would show up.

This is the almost finished inside of the box with the (new) fluorescent light attatched. The light has a little switch on the bottom, so a little slot of the masonite was cut out so I can reach up to turn it on and off. Because this table is less deep than the one in the original directions, we kind of improvised the supports for the pegboard, using little pieces of 1/4" masonite instead of 2x2s.

This is the box all done except for the painting. The legs are attached and everything. Now all that remains is to prime it and paint it. I'm going to paint it black, and I'll be sure to post a photo of it when I'm done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Photography, microscopy, design, paintings - originals and commissions

http://spiltmartini.com/blog - portfolio and blog
http://spiltmartini.etsy.com - etsy store
vmd
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005 09:30:57 PM »

wow  that is really neato!!  thanks for the pics and thank your super-cool grampy (thats what my boys call my dad) Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mrs-Roboto
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005 04:11:13 PM »

I am so jealous - I really want to do this too but carpentry is not my strong point.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005 04:36:32 PM »

That is glorious, I must make one...someday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
frogz
graphic artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005 03:27:25 AM »

I am so jealous - I really want to do this too but carpentry is not my strong point.

You just need to buddy up to someone with some basic carpentry skills.  Grin  The most important thing is measuring, really as long as you make sure toi measure all the wood precisely, it's not too hard.  Smiley I've been meaning to do this for so long. I'm lucky to have my grandfather. I'm a decent carpenter, I wouldn't have been able to do it quite as nice if my grampy hadn't done little (but awesome) things like angling the edges of the sides so no grain would show.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melsing32
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005 04:28:18 AM »

i bet your grandpa really enjoyed doing that for you!  what an awesome idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blueblythe
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005 07:27:43 AM »

wow, thanks for the instructions. I have the light and a ton of light brite pegs so I definitely have to try and make one of these.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
frogz
graphic artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005 07:57:24 PM »

wow, thanks for the instructions. I have the light and a ton of light brite pegs so I definitely have to try and make one of these.

I wish I had more lightbrite pegs. I was the weirdest kid ever because I never had a lightbrite of my own. Trying to find the pegs without ordering them online has been a hassle (I've only managed to find one set) But if you have lots of pegs your table could be much bigger than mine and be awesome cool.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mary Bell
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2005 05:01:34 AM »

This is very, very, very cool. I think I will have to show this to my father-in-law who is staying here for two weeks. He could use a project - maybe this would turn his crank. I know my daughters would love it!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blueblythe
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2005 06:16:02 AM »

Frogz: I never had a lightbrite as a kid either Sad my parents would only let me have hand made toys. I guess that's why i am like I am now. I picked up all the pegs at yard sales, flea markets and the kids sections in thrift stores and now is the best time to look!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Time-Saving Pork and Potato Meatloaf Recipe
What To Whip Up With Your Thanksgiving Leftovers
Outside The Box: Spicy Turducken
Check Out The Healthiest Hotel Food
Weight Watchers Swap and Drop on Turkey Day
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...