A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,915
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: singer help - bobbin won't wind  (Read 7170 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

krissy-poo
« on: June 15, 2010 07:15:35 PM »

Hey sorry if this is already posted somewhere, I couldn't find anything...I inherited this sewing machine from my grandmother...it was made probably early 90's so it's not that old. It's a Singer Feather Weight 100. I don't have a manual for it. So I tried to wind some thread onto a bobbin today cause I wanted to use it. I'll try to explain, you may have to imagine a bit...when you put your bobbin on the top to put thread on, you're supposed to push the thing it sits on to the right till it clicks and this is supposed to make it spin and pretty sure the needle isn't supposed to move...well the needle was moving and the bobbin didn't wind at all! I have it threaded correctly, so I don't know what the problem is. My grandma can't remember the last time she used it, so not sure if it worked properly then or not. Everything else seems to be in working order. I tried to find a downloadable manual online but it costs $15, and if the machine may be busted I'll probably just look for a new one under $100 rather than pay half or more of that to get it fixed. Any suggestions? Sorry for the poor descriptive skills, I am somewhat of a sewing newbie. Any help is greatly appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eodril

Armed and Dangerous

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010 02:45:49 AM »

Usually there's some way to disengage the drive to the needle - putting it in neutral, so to speak, so the bobbin winder turns instead of the needle moving.  This is often located on the hand wheel.  My older Singer has an inner and outer hand wheel and you hold the outer wheel and turn the inner counter clockwise.  I have another machine (Elna) that has a hand wheel that you pull out and a third machine (Brother) that has a slider switch on the face of the hand wheel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krissy-poo
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010 04:47:30 PM »

that's actually what's supposed to happen when you slide the bobbin winder over. It 'clicks' into place, which is supposed to stop the needle. But the bobbin winder doesn't even spin. Maybe I just need it oiled?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kylenstevesmom
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010 08:18:56 PM »

I had a look at the picture of the machine, and even though the bobbin clicks into place at the top, you are still going to put the motor neutral, by pulling the hand wheel out.

It looks almost the same as my 3/4 Kenmore, and I have to do the same thing.

If my suggestion works then may be if you are planning to use this machine a lot then it might be worth it to spend the money on the manual.

Good Luck.

Let us know what happens.

Theresa

THIS ROCKS   Logged
krissy-poo
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010 02:09:46 AM »

The wheel doesn't pull out, I tried that...And if I get really into sewing I will likely invest in a new bigger machine anyway. Just kind of testing the waters with this one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
monstergramma
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010 12:22:47 PM »

The wheel doesn't pull out, you should be able to turn the inner wheel toward you. That will disengage the needle drive.  When you push the bobbin to the right against the little peg all that does is stop the winding when the bobbin is full. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krissy-poo
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010 04:42:30 PM »

there's no inner wheel, it's all one piece...I must have the weirdest machine ever!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
monstergramma
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010 11:25:40 AM »

Hmm...I looked at some pictures of it and can't figure it out.  But, I wind all my bobbins with a Bobbin Winder.  Well actually my Grandson winds a bunch of them for me at once. It's only about 20.00 and runs on batteries.  I love it cuz then I don't have to unthread the machine to wind a bobbin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Iscariot by Tosca Lee Trailer
Curl Up By The Fire With These Wonderful Holiday Books
Kirk Johnson: What Are You Reading?
Sujata Massey: What Are You Reading?
Artist Anne Truitt on Her Work
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...