I started making this hat a year or two ago when I was bored, I then forgot about it and rediscovered it before last Christmas. I decided to finish it and gave it to my dad as a present. It has been a little while since I made it, but I will try to post what I remember.
The first part of the process doesn't have any pictures unfortunately.
To start, I used a cowboy hat as a form and laid strips of gray duct tape sticky side up on it until everything was covered. If you are going to make this, it is important that you try to curve the pieces to the form as much as you patience will allow or the end product won't have the dips like normal cowboy hats do. This part took a long time, but doesn't have to be neat because more tape will be covering it up.
After every part of the hat was covered out to the rim, I put camouflage duct tape on the top. Here are some pictures of this part (They were from my phone, so sorry if they are a little blurry):
After the top was covered, I flipped the hat over and used Guerrilla Tape to cover the bottom. It is thicker than regular duct tape so it gave the hat some more support. I didn't put any in the very top part of the inside because I was afraid it would lose any shape that it had. The Guerrilla tape isn't as easy to form as duct tape.
After that was done, I used a piece of brown, rubber-coated wire along the outside of the rim to keep it from flopping down. It would have been nice to have had standard wire because the rubber kept it from being able to bend. I then used little strips of camo tape that I cut and wrapped from the bottom over the wire to the top. Here is a picture of this part. On the left half of the picture the tape is wrapped around the rim. On the right side you can see the wire that still needed to be taped down:
Everything was done after that. Here are some pics of the finished project:
In the pictures you can see the rim of the hat that I used for the form. I also made a neat little adjustable hat band from Guerrilla and camo tape, which helped tremendously with keeping the shape of the hat. Overall it was a little flimsy, but regular wire would have help with that. The hat of course is separate from the one I used as the form. Right now the tape that I wrapped around the wire was cut a little short and has started to peel up. I will probably go back and use superglue to fix it. Anyway, hope you enjoyed the pics! I would love to see any other versions!