A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,520
Currently Running With Scissors:
623 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: nautical button-down recon  (Read 4241 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bec89
« on: June 15, 2010 03:43:46 PM »

This was originally based off of a similar dress that I made a couple months ago.  I used an XL women's button down which was a lot easier because it already had some darts and it didn't have that funky back double panel.  I applied blue bias tape, did a good deal of shirring on the back, and was going to stop there but the front was gaping by the armholes.  I tried some shirring around there because I couldn't think of anything else to do and ended up loving it!  Finally, I switched out the boring white buttons for some gold ones.

I used black elastic thread for the shirring which was dumb because you can kind of see it...noted for next time!  Also, the front gaps in between the buttons...any suggestions for that other than adding more buttons?  I don't think I have 4 more of those in my stash.

front:

armhole detail:

back:

shirring detail:

I love comments and suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tankrgrl
TankrGrl

Not a mess, controlled chaos

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010 04:14:05 PM »

Shocked I love the shirring!  Nicely done.  As far as the gaps, what about small tabs of velcro?  I think more buttons might take away from the shirt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Willing to swap/trade/pay for Harry Potter fabric to make a quilt for my daughter, just send a PM Smiley

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
bec89
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010 04:45:37 PM »

That's a great idea!  I have some velco laying around somewhere.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Knotmad
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010 05:16:22 PM »

very original recon! love the proportions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craftsunderground
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010 06:13:24 PM »

When I have a shirt that gaps, I sew the button placket together between two buttons. Just sew the top to the bottom going over the original stitching lines. It doesn't show at all. If you just do the gapping spot you can still open the top button to get the garment on over your head.
I hope this makes sense.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teesha Moore inspired patches--anyone want to swap?
krissyxanne
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010 07:28:20 AM »

I love how this turned out Smiley I think the black thread makes the shirring look good. Smiley Thanks for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RaraAvis
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010 01:09:56 PM »

cute! Love the back shirring!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

toomuchstuff
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010 09:16:32 AM »

FAB!  I wonder, could you give a quick shirring tute?  Or just a description of how you did it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mandodeb
Viva Handmade!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010 12:03:37 PM »

You did a wonderful job - I just love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bec89
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010 03:17:23 PM »

toomuchstuff:

For shirring, you need to find elastic thread.  It comes in black and white and they have it at JoAnn's.  Hand-wind the elastic thread around the bobbin.  It shouldn't be loose but not stretched either, just snugly wound.  Wind it up until no more will fit...you'll probably wind it at least one more time before you're done.  Your thread should match your fabric unless you want a contrasting effect.  Obviously, for mine, I used white. 

You'll stitch on the right side of the garment so the elastic shows on the back.  Backstitch once or twice then stitch one row straight across and backstitch at the end.  Use your sewing machine to determine where the next row should start.  I think for mine I positioned the previous line at the right edge of the machine foot and went from there.  I stretched my fabric as I kept going but I think you can do it either way, as long as you're consistent. 

When you're done, flip your garment over to the back.  In pairs, tie the elastic threads together to keep them from coming undone.  Washing and wearing can pull the elastic out so you want to make sure you secure it.  Trim all your threads and you're done!

I hope that helps!  It's really easy once you get the hang of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Zendaya Coleman Teams With NFL For Campaign
What to Wear to Flatter Black Hair
Style Sound Off: The Hottest Red Carpet Looks of the Week
How to Pick the Perfect Skirt For Fall
Dressing for Football Season: How to Take Your Outfit Up a Notch
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...