A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,636
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Microwavable Sock Frog (Now with huge pic tutorial!)  (Read 19616 times)
Tags for this thread: sock_animal , frog , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

feets
« on: June 15, 2010 03:01:00 PM »

Tutorial added after the pictures of the first sock frog!

After offering to make a friend either a sock monkey, sock dog, or sock cat, she requested a sock frog. I've never made a sock frog before, and didn't have a pattern, but I felt confident because of all the experience I now have making sock animals.
Anyway, I love how it turned out!
The stuffing is a mixture of two things... the bulk of the stuffing is a pouch of rice I made, and the rest is just normal polyester fluff. I put the rice in a pouch first, because I find that fluffy socks (...or any socks, really) tend to loose rice or flax seed from stretching and tiny holes and bad fairies. Fun fact - Bad fairies also cause tooth decay!
Moving on. Here are some pictures! Cheesy

Thanks for looking! Here's the tutorial, in case you're interested in making a sock frog:

Here's how I made the sock frogs! (Sorry it's so long!)

First, I started off with a pair of socks. These are short socks, but long socks will work.

Take one sock, and flip it inside out. Position the sock so that the heel is facing upward, and flatten it as best you can. Cut up the middle for as long as you want your legs to be! Keep in mind, the longer the legs, the shorter the body.
If you are using longer socks at this point, you can give your sock frog a bum by cutting the legs only up to the heel of the sock.

Sew the legs of your sock frog, the same way you would with a sock monkey. Leave the middle part at the top open, so that there is room to shove stuffing later on!

To make the toes, I sewed in two triangles, as pictured below. Try to keep the toes roughly the same size...I fail at this, but it's okay, because imperfection = charm.

Once the triangles have been sewn, cut upward through the middle of each triangle, seperating your toes! Hooray! It's important not to get too scissor happy here, or you'll need to repair holes between the toes later on.

Turn this sock right side out, and set aside!

If you wish to fill your sock frog with rice, or flax, or perhaps shriveled lizard eyes... It would be a good idea to put them in a pouch first. This prevents leakage! To make a pouch, I found a scrap of fleece I had. Doesn't have to be fleece, doesn't have to match! Mine is just the perfect colour out of pure coincidence.

This is how big I made my scap, in relation to my frog. It's not an exact science, so feel free to deviate from my example! Just keep in mind that much bigger then this will complicate your life when it comes time to stuff your frog.

Sew the scrap into a pouch, thusly. Notice I left a small opening, which is how I shall turn it inside in and fill it.

Fill your pouch! I used rice and a funnel. The funnel clogs with rice periodically, as it is a tiny funnel, so I had to keep tapping the sides and/or jiggling it and/or threatening it with ninjas. I fill my pouches pretty full but it really depends on personal preferences how full you fill it. The less full, the easier to stuff!

Once the pouch is full, sew up the hole and TADA!

Next comes the actual stuffing. I put a little fluff in first, for the head. This should be packed in fairly firmly, but not rock hard!

...Then push the pouch in. It may seem impossible, but socks stretch a lot. The hole will be a bit bigger when all is said in done, but no matter!  We can fix it, we have the technology!

I stuff the legs last, as I find it easier when the hole has been enlarged. Also easier because otherwise the legs get in my way!

You can sew up your sock frog's body now. I always find myself wincing, because I associate that whole ripping apart and sewing together process with birth lol... ANYWAY, set aside the body again.

Remember the other sock? Cut it apart like this:

The toe becomes the eye sockets, the middles becomes arms, and the heel becomes the mouth area! Note that the toe can be cut a little longer to make later reattachment easier, but it will make the arms shorter.

Cut a triangle out of the toe, to shape the eye sockets. Try to make the arches even! I failed at this but, like I said earlier, imperfection = charm!

Flip the eye socket piece inside out, and sew around the edges. Turn it right side out!

Attach this to the top of the frog's head!
It may be helpfull to determine which side of your frog's body is going to be the front, and which the back. Also a good idea to place the socket piece on the frog for a dry fit first, as well, in case it needs trimming or anything.

Remember to leave a small space open as you sew, so that before you are finished sewing it on, you can stuff it! This part I stuffed quite firm, so that it holds the shape.

Next, take the heel of the sock and attach it as the mouth area! I sew it about 3/4 of the way on, and then stuff it firmly before finishing the attachment process.

Once the mouth part is stuffed and attached, it is time to put a face on your sock frog! Choose buttons for eyes, or you could probably emboider eyes on. I used buttons. I embroidered a mouth on, but I used just normal thread for this. It would be a lot easier with actual embroidery floss, but I'm crazy Cheesy
I used the eye socket to hide my threaded knot, because the buttons will hide it, but you can loose your thread inside the sock frog if you know how. It's all personal preference!
I'd also like to point out that I attached the buttons AFTER sewing on the expression, because otherwise the buttons can get in the way.
The buttons I used are slightly different sizes, to give a more psychotic look. Also, one is red and the other is black, to suggest slight evilness. (The friend this is for requested an evil, horrified frog)

Once the face is on, admire it for a while. Perhaps show it off to whoever is around you! I tested my face out on my daughter, because she had woken up from a nap and was watching me with excited curiosity. She loved it, so I moved on to the next step!

Now it is time to create and attach the arms!

Sew the arms the same way you did the legs! Be sure they are inside out when you start sewing. Leave one end open, so you can stuff them and attach them. Use the triangle method for the fingers, then turn them right side out! Hooray Cheesy

Stuff them, leaving the ends open. I suppose you could sew them shut, but I find I like the end product best if they are left open at this stage. Try to keep them symetrical, if that is the look you are going for!

Fold the ends inward a little, as shown on the arm on the right:

Figure out where you want the arms to sit on the body. This is easiest with a striped sock like this, I think, as you can use the stripes as a kind of guide. Sew arms on! There are a few ways to do that, so use whatever stitches you feel most comfortable with.

AND IT'S DONE! Cheesy I'm not sure how long this will take to heat in the microwave, as it depends on how much rice or flax you used. I'd start off with 30 seconds, and then give or take 10 seconds with each attempt. Excellent for pain relief and comfort!

Hope it worked for you! Ask any questions you wish, and I'll do my best to answer them.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010 05:03:10 PM by feets - Reason: Tutorial Added! » THIS ROCKS   Logged
taraston
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010 03:26:10 PM »

I love it! It makes me laugh!!!!  And yes bad fairies are sneaky!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May a sunbeam warm you, a moonbeam charm you, and a craft idea hit like monkeys flinging poo.
Bobomom
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010 04:56:49 PM »

Aww! It's so cute! I love it's smile!  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
feets
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010 05:24:18 PM »

Thank yous!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010 12:28:26 AM »

This is so cute! I love the little fingers and toes, he even looks adorable from the back!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

helenm66
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010 01:27:01 AM »

I want him, his smile is crooked and he's the cutest frog in the world...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

feets
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010 08:08:56 AM »

Thank you!
I am scheduled to make another one within the next few days, so I could try to whip up a tutorial... Then everyone could have a sock frog!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SMLounsbury
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010 01:18:30 PM »

He IS cute.  I love all sock animals.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Heartbeat
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010 02:26:33 PM »

Adorable! You picked the perfect socks to make him.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
feets
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010 03:13:28 PM »

Thank yous!

I just managed to finish another one. I took pictures as I went! I should have a tutorial up by the end of the day, if all goes well  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn About Hair Coloring Tools
Learn About Hair Foils
Learn About Hair Styling Products
How to Create a Half-Up Half-Down Up-Do
How to Repair Damaged Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...