A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
374 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I have problem making my bag strap! Help  (Read 721 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

snowyice

I live to craft

View Profile WWW
« on: June 15, 2010 10:28:36 AM »

Hi all!

I always have problem making my bag strap.
As in, after I sew my bag strap.. .. I turn over and sew 2 parallel lines to secure it.

The problem arises when I sew my parallel lines against the side.
It is always not straight!!

Anyone know what is the issue?
Is it because my sewing machine not strong enough? I intend to buy a new one, if that is the cause.
FYI. Currently, I am using a low end brother sewing machine.

Thanks and Regards,
Joni
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me at, Handmadebyjoni.blogspot.com
Follow me at twitter, handmadebyjoni

Cheers!
betsywynn
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010 05:39:57 PM »

is the straps not straight when you turn it over ? or is your stitches not straight when you sew ?

Do you iron the straps after you flip it inside out ?

Sometimes, if you stop a lot while you are sewing and start sewing again, it throws it off track. I sew at a pretty slow pace to keep the straight line.

Of course, most of the time, no one notices crooked stitches except the maker =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.BetsyWynn.com - My blog !
snowyice

I live to craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010 09:38:08 PM »

Hi betsywynn,

is the straps not straight when you turn it over ? or is your stitches not straight when you sew ?
- Is the stitches not straight when i sew them.. Sad

Do you iron the straps after you flip it inside out ? - Yes i do.

help.... !

Thanks and Regards,
Joni
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me at, Handmadebyjoni.blogspot.com
Follow me at twitter, handmadebyjoni

Cheers!
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010 10:18:01 PM »

What I would do is before sewing, I would draw the lines that need to be sewn. That way the line is straight from drawing it & you just need to follow it w/your presser foot. I do that whenever I want precision sewing. In my case, a 1/4" seam sewn by using my presser foot is not exactly a 1/4", it's slightly larger - a lot of times I measure thing 1/8" larger to compensate for that or I draw a line.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

betsywynn
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010 09:00:44 AM »

Hi betsywynn,

- Is the stitches not straight when i sew them.. Sad

Do you iron the straps after you flip it inside out ? - Yes i do.

help.... !

Thanks and Regards,
Joni

well, it's either that, or you are not flipping out the edges all the way. I like to use some kind of stablizer to make the fabric firmer on straps. makes it easier to flip out the edges. Try getting a ruler or something and shoving it in there going along the edges to make sure its completely flipped out.

I do something simliar to little me. I put the edge of the fabric right at the end of the presser foot and make sure it's lined up when I sew, that way it creates a straighter edge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.BetsyWynn.com - My blog !
ntaga
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010 03:08:36 PM »

Another trick I use is to iron the seam open before ironing along the seam lines - not sure if that makes sense, but by ironing the seams open, it ensures that I can fold accurately along the seam line.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010 08:59:06 AM »

Another thing I do is I will fold the strap in 1/2 the opposite way to where the sewn seam is in the center & press that center well. Then I reposition (can't think of a better word) the strap & press w/the crease in the center & the seams on the side where they should be. I spritz the crease w/a water bottle to help get rid of the crease. That really helps to get those seams straight. If it's not straight, then I sewed it crooked & I have to redo the seam again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brookem
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010 03:18:58 AM »

I'll be honest- without a photo I can't tell exactly what the problem is, but what I'm thinking is- when you sew two parallel lines with your machine and you turn the piece over the seams aren't parallel on the other side?  Yes, a domestic machine can occasionally produce a seam that is 'wonky' on the reverse-side, especially when sewing through multiple layers of thick fabric but here are a few things you can do to fix or mask this problem:

1) try to attach the straps in a way that will let you sew them on from the outside (the side of fabric that is going to be seen)

2) use a thread that matches the colour of the fabric well to disguise a crooked seam. Or glue/sew a piece or ribbon or fabric over the top of the seams to hide them.

3) to sew a parallel seam, use the edge of the foot as a guide- make sure the edge of the foot is running along the seam you have already sewn and the second theme should be parallel.

4) use masking or painters tape: apply a piece of tape to the fabric then sew along the edge of the tape to produce a straight seam. I use this trick all the time.

6) baste the fabric together instead of using pins- in many cases I find this produces a better result overall.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZED'S DEAD BABY
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best & Worst Beauty
DIY Makeup Setting Spray
Birthday Girl Zooey Deschanel Tells Us Her Beauty Secrets
How to Hide That You Just Cried
The Secret to Applying False Eyelashes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...