A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,739
Currently Running With Scissors:
612 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I have problem making my bag strap! Help  (Read 707 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

snowyice

I live to craft

View Profile WWW
« on: June 15, 2010 10:28:36 AM »

Hi all!

I always have problem making my bag strap.
As in, after I sew my bag strap.. .. I turn over and sew 2 parallel lines to secure it.

The problem arises when I sew my parallel lines against the side.
It is always not straight!!

Anyone know what is the issue?
Is it because my sewing machine not strong enough? I intend to buy a new one, if that is the cause.
FYI. Currently, I am using a low end brother sewing machine.

Thanks and Regards,
Joni
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me at, Handmadebyjoni.blog spot.com
Follow me at twitter, handmadebyjoni

Cheers!
betsywynn
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010 05:39:57 PM »

is the straps not straight when you turn it over ? or is your stitches not straight when you sew ?

Do you iron the straps after you flip it inside out ?

Sometimes, if you stop a lot while you are sewing and start sewing again, it throws it off track. I sew at a pretty slow pace to keep the straight line.

Of course, most of the time, no one notices crooked stitches except the maker =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.BetsyWynn.com - My blog !
snowyice

I live to craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010 09:38:08 PM »

Hi betsywynn,

is the straps not straight when you turn it over ? or is your stitches not straight when you sew ?
- Is the stitches not straight when i sew them.. Sad

Do you iron the straps after you flip it inside out ? - Yes i do.

help.... !

Thanks and Regards,
Joni
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me at, Handmadebyjoni.blog spot.com
Follow me at twitter, handmadebyjoni

Cheers!
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010 10:18:01 PM »

What I would do is before sewing, I would draw the lines that need to be sewn. That way the line is straight from drawing it & you just need to follow it w/your presser foot. I do that whenever I want precision sewing. In my case, a 1/4" seam sewn by using my presser foot is not exactly a 1/4", it's slightly larger - a lot of times I measure thing 1/8" larger to compensate for that or I draw a line.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

betsywynn
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010 09:00:44 AM »

Hi betsywynn,

- Is the stitches not straight when i sew them.. Sad

Do you iron the straps after you flip it inside out ? - Yes i do.

help.... !

Thanks and Regards,
Joni

well, it's either that, or you are not flipping out the edges all the way. I like to use some kind of stablizer to make the fabric firmer on straps. makes it easier to flip out the edges. Try getting a ruler or something and shoving it in there going along the edges to make sure its completely flipped out.

I do something simliar to little me. I put the edge of the fabric right at the end of the presser foot and make sure it's lined up when I sew, that way it creates a straighter edge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.BetsyWynn.com - My blog !
ntaga
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010 03:08:36 PM »

Another trick I use is to iron the seam open before ironing along the seam lines - not sure if that makes sense, but by ironing the seams open, it ensures that I can fold accurately along the seam line.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010 08:59:06 AM »

Another thing I do is I will fold the strap in 1/2 the opposite way to where the sewn seam is in the center & press that center well. Then I reposition (can't think of a better word) the strap & press w/the crease in the center & the seams on the side where they should be. I spritz the crease w/a water bottle to help get rid of the crease. That really helps to get those seams straight. If it's not straight, then I sewed it crooked & I have to redo the seam again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brookem
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010 03:18:58 AM »

I'll be honest- without a photo I can't tell exactly what the problem is, but what I'm thinking is- when you sew two parallel lines with your machine and you turn the piece over the seams aren't parallel on the other side?  Yes, a domestic machine can occasionally produce a seam that is 'wonky' on the reverse-side, especially when sewing through multiple layers of thick fabric but here are a few things you can do to fix or mask this problem:

1) try to attach the straps in a way that will let you sew them on from the outside (the side of fabric that is going to be seen)

2) use a thread that matches the colour of the fabric well to disguise a crooked seam. Or glue/sew a piece or ribbon or fabric over the top of the seams to hide them.

3) to sew a parallel seam, use the edge of the foot as a guide- make sure the edge of the foot is running along the seam you have already sewn and the second theme should be parallel.

4) use masking or painters tape: apply a piece of tape to the fabric then sew along the edge of the tape to produce a straight seam. I use this trick all the time.

6) baste the fabric together instead of using pins- in many cases I find this produces a better result overall.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZED'S DEAD BABY
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The 3 BB Creams You Need Right Now
Sneak Peek: Birchbox May 2013
How To Make Eyeshadow Last All Day
Get Party Pretty With Just One Unexpected Product
EPISODE 5 SNEAK PEEK: Think Like a Drag Queen
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...