A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 304,846
Currently Running With Scissors:
506 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New swimsuit w/ reversible top =)  (Read 1614 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BlackResonance
« on: June 15, 2010 06:27:32 AM »

I decided to make one for myself after trying to find a suit that had cups with enough depth but a very small or adjustable back. And here is the result:

I used the following tutorial for the top - http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d22/bethgreen/projects/?action=view&current=bikinitut.jpg - but like Kimberrrr's gold swimsuit top I added sleeves to the fronts that can slide up and down or scrunch together.

For the bottoms I had a pair from Victoria's Secret that were pretty much the same exact style, laid them out flat on the fabric and cut around them, plus 1/2" for the seam allowance.

The only flaw is that the band on the top is not very supportive. JoAnn's does not carry elastic thread  Huh  so I used regular thread, but it stretches out, and I've had a couple spots on the bottoms where I've heard a thread snap  Sad . Since the top is reversible I can't put any kind of structure into it...unless I took it apart but this fabric does not hold up to a seam ripper, lol. And the good news is that I got 1 yd. of fabric for both colors so now I have endless possibilities for other styles. I have 2 more styles of tops in mind  Smiley Going to the beach this weekend so maybe I'll get some action shots.

Comments, critique welcome. (Where do you get your elastic thread and blunt/round point needles?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010 06:50:46 AM »

It's very cute!  Does your Sewing machine have a stretch stitch option on it?  I've found using a stretch stich on anything stretchy makes for nicer seams and no popping threads Cheesy  Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindsycarranza

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010 06:51:29 AM »

Very cute!!!!
I got my elastic thread at JoAnn's I had to ask for help to find it the first time and the second time it was with all the other elastic, not with the thread.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
cherry_blossom55
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010 06:54:15 AM »

very cute indeed! I love the green colours Cheesy

I get elastic thread at Fabricland, but I live in Ontario and I'm not totally sure if fabricland exists in the US...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlackResonance
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010 06:57:48 AM »

Yes, my machine has SS. I used just the regular straight SS for most of the seams on the top, but for the bottom I serged the edgeds and then used a regular zig-zag, which I also used right underneath the cups after they were attached to the band, just to stiffen it a little.

Very cute!!!!
I got my elastic thread at JoAnn's I had to ask for help to find it the first time and the second time it was with all the other elastic, not with the thread.
That's the one place I didn't check, haha! I'll keep that in mind for next time, thanks  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SherNWT
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010 07:16:44 AM »

I think it looks good.

sometimes if you serge or do a zig zag over a narrow elastic it will help.  Thats what I have done with dancewear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roccstarr75
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010 08:03:43 AM »

Very cute!  And I have also found elastic thread either with other elastic or in a very odd place, NOT with the other thread.  In every store I have found it, it was this way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fontiua
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010 05:30:25 PM »

I love that you chose green fabric. There is a definite lack of cute green(my favorite color) swimwear. You rocked it on this one. Keep it up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creating something from nothing is the most theraputic thing in this world for my soul.
miss tami
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010 05:58:18 PM »

That's really cute! I love how you made it reversible. Is the dark green fabric shiny? If so, awesome! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon G10: Set for People-in-Landscape Scene
Canon G10: Set for Panoramic Scene
Canon G10: Set for Night Portrait Scene
Canon G10: Set for Night Landscape Scene
Canon G10: Set for Museum Scene
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...