A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
525 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Big slouchy hobo-esque bag! (Image Heavy)  (Read 105087 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , purse  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sabu

Everyone loves a bubble or two

View Profile WWW
« on: May 11, 2005 06:08:28 PM »

Alright, a forewarning to everyone:  This is my first tutorial and is going to be super mecha choppy, so be flexible and DON'T BE AFRAID TO E-MAIL/IM ME!   Also, when I actually make purses, I make it up as I go along, so if you're confused, take a stab at it a few times and make it up!  It'll be even more unique^^  That goes for measurements/exact details.  Everything is relative.

Here's what we're trying to achieve:

Here goes...

First off I would suggest using a heavier fabric for the outside or base fabric, much more resiliant and all that.  I've used 2 types of heavy corduroys in the two I've done.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.        The Sides
     Cut out a the shapes of the sides, which will depend in size with your personal preferences.   A big 'U' shape crossed with a banana and a semi circle will about explain it.   Mine ended up being about 30 inches along the bottom edge.     Tip: I've found that its better to have them less-banana like and in a deeper' U' (unlike this example), it makes them slouchier in a better way.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2.      Other Pieces
                 Cut out the strap and bottom of the bag pieces, the strap should be just about as big as the measurement of the bottom curve of the side, and the bottom about 2/3 that big.  (ex: bottom curve = 33 in. so strap = 33 in.  and bottom = 22 in. )  But that all depends on how gathered you want the base edge in the final product, its all you my friend.   Also cut out pieces from your chosen lining to match ALL of your outer pieces, yes, they all need a lining, even the strap.

3.       Pretti-fy it damnit
                    At this point, any decals or adornments (patch-wise) that you want on the front of the bag should be applied/sewn on, so that you don't have to do it when its all gathered and such.

4.      El Strap.
                        Now its time for the strap.  Technically you could do it at any point you'd like, but I'm going to throw it in now.              Alright, you have your long piece of fabric to use for your strap, and in my design, I have an hourglass shape to it and some accent fabric (usually some of the lining material) inside the shape.   The picture is pretty self explanatory for the first part.

To get the fabric inside, just use the piece of lining you cut to the lenght of the strap piece and trim it down so it fits under the over lapped outside material, and sew along the edge of the under flap first, then the top flap.  From the other side you should get something resembling a big swooping x with a circle where the lines cross.  I'd use a zig zag stitch so that you don't have to fold under the edges of the flaps (hence the heavy fabric= no fraying)

5.      The Zipper.
                  Lay the zipper along the top curve of one of the side, good side of zipper to good side of fabric and sew along the edge, joining the two.  the zipper will have some 'pooching' in it, but that just goes without saying.         Next, lay the lining (good side down) over both the zipper and the side, the zipper separating the tops of the two pieces of fabric, and sew that as well.      If you flip the side and liner so they line up , you'll have a clean edge on both sides of the zipper.

Repeat with the other side.  When completle, if you lay it all out, you'll look like you have a big fabric pancake.  Yum.

Sew the linings to the edges, bad sides together (thats the only way you can do it at this point ((hopefully....)))

6.      The Gathered Edge
                  Along the bottom curves, use a very large stitch to sew 2 gathering points on one side of the 'bag' thusfar.  I used 2 because I kept breaking the string having to gather that much thick fabric on such a little thread.

CAREFULLY gather the bottom edge until its the same length as the bottom piece. (If you haven't, sew the lining to the botom piece)        Sew the gathered edge to one side of the bottom piece, good sides together.  Its going to be curvy and bumpy but such is life.    Just go with it and if it looks wrongish its probably right, its a strange looking deal going together.

Heres an example of what mine looked like (or a section of it)

Repeat that whole dealio with the other size, and MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE ZIPPER OPEN WHEN YOU SEW THE OTHER SIDE!!  An inside out purse is nooo good.

7.      Alright, heres a crappy drawing of what you should have.   Yours is going to have much more rumpling, and probably won't look exactly like this in its perfection (rolls eyes)    So don't worry dolls.    

Alright.    Now for the handle, which is the toughest part to explain (but the easiest to do...)  Picture first though, it'll help me out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v365/black_rabbit13/experiment/14.jpg

Alright, with all the zippers I've used, they've been old or slightly damaged, so I've never had too many problems getting the handle through that funky little hole which you have at the end.  So I really have to just say make it up, I think you'll get the gist though, you have the bag inside out (zipper open) and have the handle inside and slip the ends through those holes and sew the whole end together.      MAKE SURE!!! The side of the strap that you want facing out to the world is going to be facing out, hold it inside with your fingers, pull part of the bag back rightside out and check it out.

*******What I like to do when I'm pretty much done is use a zigzag stitch and go over all of the rough edges/seams to try and stop them from fraying a little bit.

AND YOU'RE DONE!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for breezing through, and please please PLEASE!!! Feel free to mail me and ask questions!!  LIke i said, its my first tutorial and i'm pretty much winging it^^
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012 02:44:54 PM by kaz814 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I got a girl who wears cool shoes
            I got a girl who wears them in the nude
                             -Tripping Daisy 'I got a girl'
nilla_bean

www.atelierwoodenapples.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005 06:33:59 PM »

Great tutorial... can't even tell it's your first time Cheesy I'll be making one of these, thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

neverendingjourney
I have gone to find myself, if I get back before I return please tell me to wait. Thank you!

If a cow laughed, would milk come out her nose?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005 06:34:42 AM »

WoWSA Great tut!!!!! I wish you would do a zipper tute for a box purse... make sence??your tut is great and i can follow it!! it is "Blonde proof!" you have passed!!
very nice purse pattern and tute!!
great job!
darla
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day & may their arms be too short to scratch
appleshannon
Tutorial Contributor

appleshannon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005 03:23:34 PM »

i have that elephant keychain too!! from target   yay
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dia
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005 07:56:52 PM »

sabu, this is a very cute bag. n the tut is so gr8.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you are feeling stressed and about to breakdown, just remember: STRESSED is just DESSERTS spelled backwards... Its a piece of cake!
Mirell
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006 12:31:48 AM »

This one is so cute! But the last picture isn't showing Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
La_Exotique
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006 01:03:17 AM »

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok now i''m excited, when i hav ethe time, definately going to make one >.<
THIS ROCKS   Logged

diyellegirl

That's my saving grace...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006 01:54:17 PM »

First of all, this is possibly the cutest bag I have ever seen!!! Second of all, thank you sooo much for the detailed tutorial!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love you!<3
gily
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007 10:05:30 AM »

:-*THAT NICE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GothicFeverDream
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007 06:34:13 PM »

This looks so cool, i love making hobo bags, the messy look makes it very shabby chic too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"..I can dim the lights and sing you songs filled with sad things, we can do the tango just for two, I can serenade and gently play upon your heart strings, be your Valentino just for you.."

http://www.myspace.com/sneauxwhyte627
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Recognize Value and Temperature of Color When Brush Mixing
How to Brush Mix
How to Brush Mix Leaf Colors
Owl Painting - Watercolor Wildlife Art in Miniature
How to Draw Star Wars-Clone Wars: Count Dooku
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...