A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,467
Currently Running With Scissors:
440 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need help with edible Yahtzee dice cup and/or poop. Please!  (Read 918 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

evildeathbee
« on: June 14, 2010 07:06:16 PM »

It's going to sound silly, but I very badly want to make my boyfriend a Yahtzee themed cake and either a cupcake with a turd on top or a cake decorated with a turd. The turd idea probably sounds a tad sillier than the Yahtzee idea, but there is a back story..and it doesn't involve any strange fetish type things..I swear.

First of all..My boyfriend and I have been together for six years, and from the very early days, Yahtzee has become an obsession for us. We are crazy competitive and are constantly determined to be the "Yahtzee champ." One year, for my birthday, my boyfriend got me a Misfits cake. He brought the crimson ghost image to some bakery. I will have to find out which. The bakery somehow transfered this image to a sheet cake. I was thinking I would bring the bakery a Yahtzee score sheet. I found a tutorial online a couple of years ago on how to make dice. I will have to try to find this again, since I did not save it. The problem is the cup..I haven't the slightest idea how I might go about making it look realistic, while making it edible. We use the regular, ribbed style dice cup. For those that are not familiar with the game, this is the only image I could find.. http://www.bgamers.com/images/HAS_950.jpg I suppose, if I have to, I can just purchase another Yahtzee game and put a real cup on the cake..I like the idea of having the cake entirely edible much more so, though.

Now to be graphic and gross..I want the turd to be a spiraling pile..not a log. I found this.. http://cupcakesatemysoul.blogspot.com/2010/01/poop-cake.html ..and it is perfect. I have no idea what she used to make it..If I could somehow get that sort of effect with icing, that would be fine too. I would have no idea how to spiral icing like that, and I am really awful with icing. So any ideas how she might have done that would be very much appreciated. I would like an idea for the edible fly as well.

Thanks for the help!!! If I can pull it off, he will be so ecstatic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
christina_209
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010 11:17:37 PM »

The only suggestions I have are use rice crispys to mold a cup and then frost it.  As for the poop use a ziplock bag to try to make the poop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ranchelmarie
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010 04:05:45 PM »

For the cupcake, it says she used buttercream frosting, I assume she just piped it on with a wide circular tip. and the fly, I would think you could make it out of fondant. there's a tutorial on here of how to make marshmallow fondant that is easy and delicious.

for the yahtzee cup, I'd say go with fondant as well. what I would do is make rice krispy treats, shape some around a drinking glass (or the actual yahtzee cup) and put it in the fridge to get it nice and stiff. then form some red tinted fondant around it and gently make the ribs down the sides with your finger.

good luck and let us know how it comes out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avian Flight
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010 04:38:46 PM »

you could do something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lmcX0fe2ks

or you could try wrapping the outside of your yahtzee cup with plastic wrap and dipping it in melted red candy melts (or red tinted white chocolate). put the whole thing in the fridge to set then carefully remove the cup and then the plastic wrap. i'm not sure how you'd made the ribs on the outside using this method. perhaps press the yahtzee cup ribbing against the chocolate when it's still slightly wet (not completely wet because then it would be too melty). you would need 2 cups then.

if you know how to make mold castings then you can cast the cup in a silicon mold and then paint the mold with red candy chocolate.

marshmallow fondant would be great for dice but would be hard for a cup since it's soft it wouldn't hold up by itself. wrapping it around rice crispies would work but it would be thick.

another idea is to bake red fortune cookies in the shape of a rectangle and roll into a cylinder - let it cool. bake a circle for the bottom of the cup and attach cylinder to bottom before the base hardens in the oven. that takes some level of skill though so maybe not if you've never made fortune cookies before.

for the poop i would use chocolate butter cream or it could easily be done with fondant as well. just use a brown tint rather than cocoa powder or chocolate because that would mess up the fondant recipe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
evildeathbee
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010 06:26:04 PM »

Thanks for all the help! We'll see how it turns out..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Clip In Foxy Locks Extensions
Loose Flipped Out Curly Hairstyle Using Wide Straighteners
How to Make an Easy Fishtail Braid or Plait
Hair Care Secrets Tips and Products
How to Backcomb or Tease Your Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...