A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,687
Currently Running With Scissors:
669 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Business Name thread - Get opinions and ideas about names for your business!  (Read 10696 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: May 20, 2011 04:12:54 AM »

Agnes & Amy is totally cute - I wouldn't worry about the "partner" thing. People stick extra names in all the time (kids, dogs, etc.), but without physical proof, the evil Tax Man can do nothing and the "extra body" is easily explained with a quick phone call if necessary. If you're able to write a comment on the form about it, it might make you feel better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

onceinlovewithAmy
« Reply #141 on: May 20, 2011 09:30:10 PM »

Agnes & Amy is totally cute - I wouldn't worry about the "partner" thing. People stick extra names in all the time (kids, dogs, etc.), but without physical proof, the evil Tax Man can do nothing and the "extra body" is easily explained with a quick phone call if necessary. If you're able to write a comment on the form about it, it might make you feel better.
I went ahead with Agnes and Amy Smiley Still waiting on my state business license/registration/whatever to come in the mail and then I'll be starting up. Thanks for your input. Makes me feel better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ModernDayDauphine
« Reply #142 on: July 11, 2011 10:58:37 PM »

one of the most difficult set backs to overcome for me has been choosing a name for my bussiness and it's the main thing that has been holding me back. I've gone through a very rough period where crafting became impossible due to fear of failure and my creativity came to a complete standstill. Since I was going to school for my bfa in metal sculpture and jewelry design the struggle to design nd complete assignments when my life was such a mess that every creative bone had left my body I ended up going on stress relief from school and dropping my classes last semester.  After a few weeks of moping all of a sudden I found my urge to create again and all of a sudden my inspiration and drive were back.  a big part of this came from watching and reading anything i could find about marie antoinette who has always been inspirational and influential to me.  the glitz, the glamour, the over the top decadence, even in the face of adversity just really inspires me which is why I've been leaning toward the name "the modern daupine." Eventhough Dauphines no longer exist, and the styles of versaille are gaudy and outdated, its the idea of pure luxury (in whatever design aesthetic you choose) that attracts me to the idea.  I also find a lot of influence for my work on the idea of the hameau de la reine where marie created her own private village of gardens and cottages and created her own sanctuary for herself to escape to.  I would like to name my business the modern daupine because thats what I feel that I am- a princess born into a century where all of those luxuries are lost and people are looked down on for over the top decadence.  my worries with a name like this is that not enough people will a) know what a dauphine is and b) think that my design aesthetic is purely french boroque royal when in reality, I love that style but it's not my only choice.  To me this name represents the fact that the monarchy and its power has declined and that a new type of dauphine, a woman who regardless of bloodline marriage stlye or budget has the right to live in a way that makes them feel like royalty. 
my worries are that the use of the word daupine will be either unknown or misunderstood to seem like it is only for the bougoise , however for some reason I have an intense attatchment to the word and the history that goes along with it.  I would really like some 100% truthful feedback on your take on the name: how you think it will be precieved, any way it does or doesn't decribe the vibe im trying to explain which is that every woman of today despite income can feel like a monarch if she ha the right items. 
Please give honest opinions of what you would think if you came across a blog or store with this name.  would you be interested? would you think it sounds to hoity-toity? would you have abosolutely no idea what it meant whatsoever? does it sound to much like a modern take on historic french design aesthetic or does it sound like a modern take on the type of glamourous lifestyle a dauphine would have lived which is what I'm going for.  If you have any ideas on names that would better suit my idea I'd appreciate all of the brainstorming help I can get!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: July 23, 2011 07:40:54 AM »

A name, by itself, can't do anything for you. An example is Rolls Royce. By itself, it seems a silly name that could emblazon a used car lot, but it's not easy to think of it that way because of their reputation for luxury. It's the name that represents the reputation, not the other way around.

Back in my day, every kid was exposed to the word "dauphin" via the Joan of Arc history. I don't know if kids get a whiff of it these days, since God is pretty taboo in public schools now. My advice, though, would be to eliminate unnecessary and easily-mispronounced words and go for a more phonetic spelling (or a play on phonetic) then you could have a more unique name that's all yours. A simple example:

You can't expect people to feel the same way you do about Marie Antoinette or any name you pick - and many times they don't "feel" anything at all. Sometimes you have to pull away from your emotions and look at things more objectively. A name that can be remembered easily and a product line that kicks butt has a good chance for success (providing you also have a kick-butt marketing plan). Don't get hung up on all the emotions that are clearly holding you back. Leave the passions for the creation side of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vintageindigo
« Reply #144 on: August 19, 2011 09:12:41 AM »

CraftyChef, great advice about the spelling of dauphin and I love that design! Very simple but elegant.

I've been gone from Craftster for a while but I missed it and I'm feeling very creative lately. I really want to start both a craft/vintage blog and an Etsy shop. The shop would sell vintage kitchenware and decor in good (not shabby or "primitive") condition, with the potential to sell a handmade product later on (probably something sewn, knit, or embroidered with a vintage feel but that is TBD). I'm really excited about starting, but I'm so indecisive with names! I did lots of brainstorming and actually settled on my first idea for a shop name: Korman & King's. I created an account a few days ago and started adding favorites and people to my circle but didn't actually create the shop yet. I don't like this name for a blog (and it doesn't matter to me if the 2 names are different) so I was thinking about naming it Vintage Indigo like my Craftster name, but like I said I'm indecisive so I haven't started the blog yet. Second opinions are important to me but whenever I go to run these names by someone I feel embarrassed. So I flip flop from liking and disliking a name. My 2 coworkers that I told about it liked Korman & King's but my mom doesn't like it at all. I chose it because it's my last name and her maiden, and she'll be helping me find inventory. It also reminds me of business names of the past, where they would use the business owners' last names.

Any advice would be very helpful! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: August 22, 2011 06:03:56 AM »

I LOVE Korman & King's. Like you, I think it sounds...vintage, and that's what you're going for, and it rolls off the tongue very nicely (the blog name, not so much). I like the word "vintage" in the blog name, but maybe something more connectable to your original name, like Vintage Decisions (by Korman & King's).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gumpsgirl

Don't Worry It's just Me....

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 02, 2011 12:21:29 PM »

Hi All,

I have been creating stock in a business that I am starting, but am at the point where I am ready to formally file the proper paperwork for Sales Tax, state, IRS, etc. 

My products are coasters, magnets, key ring plaques and coat racks, most of which are hand painted.  I do not want to limit the company name to just these products, as I have a 1,000 ideas Wink

So far, I have thought of the following:

Jenny's Junk House
The Squared House
House Squared (House2)
This Squared Home

I am NOT good with words.  At least not as good as I am with paints, which doesn't say much!)

I respect all the crafters on this site and could not think of a better group of people to ask.

Thank you in advance.
Jenny
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Naughty is Nice!
MinnieMay9
« Reply #147 on: November 08, 2011 08:43:35 PM »

(I could have sworn there was a sticky about this already)

I would like a little advice about the name of my Etsy shop. Right now the name is CMC Creative Creations. While I really like this name, my user name is MinnieMay9. I'm worried that the two different names might confuse people. I'm starting to wonder if I should call my shop Designs by MinnieMay9 (or something similar).
I know a name change would mean that I would have to redo my logo and business cards, but there are worse things in life we have to do ^.~

(typed on my iPod, so any mistakes are a fault of both me and Apple)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt, use more glue!

Look Ma, I'm on Ravelry!
Feel free to check out my Etsy shop.

Creative for Charity ~My Charity Blog
montsa007

22 Year old guy who likes craft!

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 10, 2011 11:07:37 PM »

(I could have sworn there was a sticky about this already)

I would like a little advice about the name of my Etsy shop. Right now the name is CMC Creative Creations. While I really like this name, my user name is MinnieMay9. I'm worried that the two different names might confuse people. I'm starting to wonder if I should call my shop Designs by MinnieMay9 (or something similar).
I know a name change would mean that I would have to redo my logo and business cards, but there are worse things in life we have to do ^.~

(typed on my iPod, so any mistakes are a fault of both me and Apple)

I'd keep it professional and go with the former one Smiley, going with the latter would create a casual impression. Hope it helps.

Also you may want to start your 'own' webstore, am currently taking requests and making websites for free, check my 2nd signature link.

Regards,
-m007
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Got 5 Minutes to spare? - PM Me for free craft Ebooks Smiley
Kitiza
« Reply #149 on: November 11, 2011 03:54:10 AM »

Like montsa007, I also feel that CMC Creative Creations sounds a bit more professional than for example Designs by MinnieMay9. And I really like your banner. Have you considered changing your profile picture to match the banner? In my opinion that would already connect you more with your store. Whenever I visit some Etsy shop I check the banner (of course) and the profile picture of the owner. After that I don't necessarily even remember what was the username of the shop owner but I still remember the banner and the profile picture I have seen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Hold Hairdressing Scissors
Clipper Cut - Ivan Zoot Clipper Cut Technique
Layered Haircut: How to Style Layered Hair (Hair Cutting Tips)
Lauren Conrad Hair Tutorial Part 2: Easy Evening Updo
Lauren Conrad Daytime Braided Hair Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...