A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,084
Currently Running With Scissors:
779 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Business Name thread - Get opinions and ideas about names for your business!  (Read 10418 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Notalotaluck
« Reply #120 on: January 19, 2011 09:09:37 AM »

Me and my friend Laura are trying to open our own business also, and are trying to figure out what our business name should be.  We were thinking Emmielou's or EmmaLou's since my name is Emily and alot of people call her Lou (not really sure why lol).  Should we stick with something simple like that or something like "Not your mother's crafters" or something witty like that? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Schmagooger
« Reply #121 on: February 21, 2011 07:01:32 PM »

Hello there everyone,
I've decided to set up a little jewelry business, selling necklaces locally as well as on Etsy. I enjoy making jewelry and see this as a way to pay for my hobby and diversify my palettes a bit. I'll be doing this while working, not as a serious business venture. Still, I want to start off with a name I like and will want to keep, and am having trouble coming up with one that is both expressive and easy to remember at the same time.

First of all, I want my business name to be in Latin. I study Latin and think it's a really lovely and elegant language, characteristics I want to create in my jewelry. Also, I get a lot of inspiration from manuscript images and Latin texts (in which jewelry and gems constitute a major theme). I don't want to use terms that are too specific (varieties of stone, colors, body parts) because I don't want the name to be too limiting. Even though most people probably won't know what the name means - but I will! Anyways, here are some ideas I have, which I'm afraid are too complicated and might be difficult for some people to pronounce or remember:

Quae gemmas contexit ("She who weaves gems together" - describes me)

Quae gemmis fulgurat ("She who gleams with gems" - describes the customer)

Refulgentibus Adornata ("Adorned with shining things" - the first word might be too clunky, but it's one of my favorite words in Latin so I'm torn! "Fulgentibus Adornata" means pretty much the same thing if that simplifies it at all.)

Are all those too clunky? Am I better off just going with "Adornata" which is simpler but doesn't have the nice elegance I perceive in the added verbs? You can be honest with me, I won't be hurt (:

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Circlesofstone
« Reply #122 on: February 22, 2011 06:09:15 AM »

I do like the idea of using Latin ( I enjoyed taking Latin in high school), but I worry that your customers won't remember your name. If they are going to try and find you online it would be easier for them to remember "Adornata" even if you don't think it is as interesting. Goodluck with your new venture!

Lisa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

starwarspunk
« Reply #123 on: February 22, 2011 06:59:25 AM »

^I agree with this.

Adornata is easier to remember and less likely to be misspelled.  Smiley

Maybe you can use one of the latin phrases as a slogan to accompany your company name?  If you made a website, it could appear underneath your logo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DEmiurgic
Little O'l Me

Art & Dancing, my two passions.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2011 11:09:06 AM »

Hello all, (I wasn't sure were to put this topic, but it seams to fit.)  Undecided

I am in debate about the name or "brand name" that I am currently using -it's "DEmiurgic".
This is the definition I found on line:
Demi•urge(dem′ē ʉrj′)noun
1a.in Platonism, a deity or creative force that shaped the material world
1b.in Gnosticism, a deity subordinate to the supreme deity,sometimes considered the creator of evil
2.a ruling force or creative force

I thought it would be perfect, because the first two letters are my nickname "De". I use it on my blogger, facebook page and Esty.
But my business cards have my full first name rather than a "brand name" for more arts rather than arts & crafts.
But I wanted to pick a name for my little arts and crafts, that had my name in it or not, reference being creative/artist.

Plus I am thinking of changing my avatar that I use on all my sites as well. I found it on line, it's not mine. But it fit me so perfectly. I plan on making one similar, but mine. Which could be tied into my name/brand name as well.

Side Note: my user name on here reflects my email, which I use currently on my business cards.  Cheesy

Any idea, suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.  Huh
~Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011 11:12:34 AM by pixelcutie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. --Theodore Roosevelt
mmadrigal05
« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2011 10:18:06 PM »

Hello crafty friends!
I'm new to Craftster and could really use your help. I have been crafting for many years and am trying to start a small business starting with Etsy. My main crafts are sewing and jewelry but I also enjoy papercrafts. I make aprons and other small kitchen accessories, necklaces and bracelets, and greeting cards. The main idea behind my brand is embracing one's inner domestic goddess while looking good. I'm a little more edgy than cutesy and pretty eclectic Grin. So far I've come up with a couple of names that I feel describe both me and my brand and possibly get my message across. They are...

MichEclectic Designs (or Creations)

and

DomGoddess Designs (or Creations)

Are either of these too much? Too little? What's the first thing you think of when you say them? Any advice is sooooo appreciated! Thanks a bunch for helping out a new entrepreneur!

Michele:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Schmagooger
« Reply #126 on: February 27, 2011 06:41:10 AM »

I think you could leave off "Designs" on either one. It's kind of redundant if it's an Etsy store, and makes the name less memorable and more generic sounding, in my view anyways. I'd be more likely to remember your shop name if it weren't "X Designs." I like the first name, Mich Eclectic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mmadrigal05
« Reply #127 on: February 27, 2011 01:29:52 PM »

Thanks Schmagooger! I didn't even think of it being generic. I want memorable...not generic Smiley. That's a big help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: February 28, 2011 01:34:05 PM »

I am in debate about the name or "brand name" that I am currently using -it's "DEmiurgic".

It sounds a bit... medical to me for some reason!  Undecided I actually like pixelcutie, but I guess it would depend on your items and whether or not they fit with either name.

Plus I am thinking of changing my avatar that I use on all my sites as well. I found it on line, it's not mine. But it fit me so perfectly. I plan on making one similar, but mine. Which could be tied into my name/brand name as well.

Consistency is good. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tristan14831
« Reply #129 on: March 01, 2011 10:57:08 AM »

Hi Craftster!

I'm trying to come up with a name for my business and i desperately need y'all's help! My business will be focused on southern folk art with an emphasis on upcycled and repurposed materials. This would include garden art and home goods. I was hoping for something that would bring to people's minds warmth, southern charm, etc. I was thinking something like "Sun-Soaked South" but i'm not sold on it. ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I write about my life, home, and projects at www.upcycleddownriver.com if you're interested in checking them out!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Serein Wu: The Revlon Makeover Challenge Part 1
Miranda Mendoza: The Revlon Makeover Challenge Part 1
Beauty Evolution Trailer
Are Your Feet Ready For Spring?
Solutions to the Biggest Beauty Problems
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...