A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,190
Currently Running With Scissors:
531 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Business Name thread - Get opinions and ideas about names for your business!  (Read 11543 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fluxxii
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2009 04:56:53 AM »

What about Artology? I want a name that combines art and science, since they are two of my favourite things and my products will be the combination of the two. I kind of like it, but it sounds really cheesy and not so unique. Any way I can spruce that up a bit?

I was also thinking of the Mad Scientist, which I also like, but I'm not sure how that will be received on my site with it being a positive mental health site and all, haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FLUXXII.COM: online consignment for indie artists
lydiaharper
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2009 07:14:41 AM »

Hi, all!  I need help deciding on a name for my etsy shop.  I will mostly being selling kids things, from "taggie" blankets for babies to game/MP3 cozies for older kids.  I MAY also in the future add more adult things like rag quilts, anatomically correct plush dolls, and jewelry. I want my shop to have a funky, quirky type vibe.  Nothing overly cutesie,  but not really "dark" either.  I have come up with a few ideas, but I am open to whatever you got!!
Thanks!
Lydia

So, I am thinking about an off beat kinda name that does NOT have my name or tell a specific product.  Like my fav color and animal, color and plant, etc.  What do you think about that process of naming my shop??

THIS ROCKS   Logged

shadowsforsale

With enough caffeine, I could rule the world..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2009 01:24:15 PM »

Considering that my day job swallowed me whole for a while, I have yet to get my business up and running. Now, my mom and sister are doing nothing but expressing concern that my chosen name(Midnight Sun Creations somehow became Midnight Sun Faery Fun) would get me confused with the unfinished Stephanie Meyer novel, Midnight Sun. Sooo, I'm wondering if I should go back to the drawing board?

My band stage name is Ophelia, so perhaps I could do a play on that somehow. Ophelia's Fancies, perhaps? I just don't want to get a ton of email from people wondering why I haven't got anything Twilight-related in my shop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For a dreamer night's the only time of day
http://dragcave.net/image/oUlr.gif
princesskill
« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2009 10:29:48 PM »

i'm starting a jam/jelly/preserve/pickle company and my name is:

SWEET & SOUR PRESERVE COMPANY

because the two main ingredients in preserves is sugar and vinegar Smiley i added the "company" because i want a bit of an old timey feel, like you could buy it at a general store, but the sweet and sour keeps it fresh i thing.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009 10:53:56 PM by princesskill » THIS ROCKS   Logged

live to craft, craft to live
veri
« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2009 05:18:15 AM »

Ok, my babies are starting to sleep for a few hours in the night so I do more crafting lately. Also - because I have to return to work soon (my maternity leave ends in December) and I'll be working half the time (also due to my kids of course - to spend more time with them ) I'll be payed half the money I get now (and that is not much to start with Wink) so... I was thinking I'd finally put my long-persistant idea into reality.

Of course I really need your help on this project because I'm a total an-alphabet regarding business of any kind. My alpha-male (the daddy of my kids Grin) does all the money related jobs in our household so I really don't know much about how to make a store and so on. But I'm reading this section and try to learn as much as I can so I hope I'll learn enough to make it happen. (I have his support naturally but he can't make all the work in this case Tongue).

First of all I found out that the most important is the name - that catches the ear and is easy to remember. Now here is the problem - I'm not a native English speaker so I'm not sure what sound great in English or is easy for the majority of customers to remember. Here I'd really need your help, please, please, please!

I was thinking of: craftyveri - but I'm not sure the "i" at the end wouldn't be confusing for the english-speaking world. What do you think? (my nickname is veri, so it would be crafty veri - but also associated with very crafty) I'm not sure on the "i" or "y" or should I separate it like: crafty veri (or very) or turn it around like verycrafty or is it a bad idea altogether? I take criticism very well - specially regarding things I know nothing about (and this certainly is one of them) so please tell me honestly what you think! I promise won't be offended!

Another problem is that I'm not sure which is the best site for me to sell my stuff. I thought about etsy first but now read a lot of discouraging post about it so I'm second guessing. I know there are other stores but don't know which is easy to use, reliable and would fit me (I live in Europe, a small little country... - I don't know how much that matters but we don't have craft malls here - mayby one or two in the whole country - once a year... so that is out of the question - it has to be on line...)

Do you have any suggestions? please, please - any effort will be highly appreciated! I'm a bit scared and intimidated: I don't have any experience in selling my crafts, I'm not a native speaker, I live in Europe (which doubles the shipping costs to America and I'm afraid it would turn costumers off), don't know how to price my work,... and I could go on and on... Mayby some of you felt the same at the beginning and can give me a few pointers to head in the right directions...

I would really like to make some income from the hobby I love and that I can do while kids are asleep so I don't miss their childhood at work for 10 hours. Please help a confused crafty mummy, we'll all apreciate it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2009 05:56:12 AM »

unless you can promote a great deal each day, and have a pretty awesome (not just awesome, i mean, mind blowing cuteness or uniqueness) inventory, getting a shop going is a hard uphill battle

most people spend 6-8 hours a day promoting (from what i have heard) and the ones that dont probrably did in the beginning

all of that defeats the purpose of spending time with your kiddles

but all that aside, idea for the name, VeriCrafty is cute and unique enough...

i really suggest maybe finding some other form of income, because a vast majority of online crafty adventures fail because the market is so competitive, and if you cant devote enough time or money into it, it wont get off the ground (i know, i have no kids, and i dont work, and i still cant devote the kinda time and energy required...at least not at this stage in my life)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
veri
« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2009 06:11:53 AM »

I have another form of income - only now it will be just half since I will work 20 instead of 40 hours a week. That's why I'd like to find something else to cover the shortage. I can do other stuff as well but this one I like Wink.

Promote? Huh, what do you mean by that - I know it sound stupid - but I don't really know how to do that... If you promote 8 hours a day - when do you craft? I thought that people are often selling on the etsy as a side job not the only one - guess I was mistaken... I craft at night so that is perfect for the kids but I never thought about promoting...
Thank you for your honesty - I appreciate it. I'm still thinking about giving it a shot - I don't need to make the whole salary from it - any amount would help;)"And people telling you all the time: you should sell this things..." gave me this idea - 'cause I really like to craft...
I was hoping finding a niche would help (selling EC clothes and stuff - I haven't seen many of that on line).
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009 06:13:42 AM by veri » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2009 07:20:45 AM »

i know i always tried to promote while i crafted (work on something, then post and advertise for like an hour)

mostly promoting is getting your name out there, letting people know you sell, and marketing your latest creations...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
shadowstealer
« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2009 08:45:09 PM »

So I decided after a local show fell through and i still feel like vending id open an Etsy. But now it seems like Etsy isn't a good plan (with all the really negative posts you can find on the selling on etsy board i don't know if its even worth doing ti anymore)
But i do have a local dance store where i may be able to sell.

I usually make Tribal belly dance clothing and the odd mulit-dance form pieces as well.
I'm down to two names its either:

Tribal Tutu
or
Death and Candy.

Help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
veri
« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2009 03:42:37 AM »

mostly promoting is getting your name out there, letting people know you sell, and marketing your latest creations...

How do you do that? Do you mean posting on forums or something else? Forums here, on etsy,...?

Shadowstealer, I like Tribal Tutu better, it seams more unique to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Richard Doetsch Talks About The 13th Hour
House Rules Book Trailer
Meet Author Mike Dooley
Meet Author Lisa Lutz
Ann Pearlman Reveals Her Favorite Books
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...