A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,698
Currently Running With Scissors:
493 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Business Name thread - Get opinions and ideas about names for your business!  (Read 10051 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« on: April 21, 2008 10:36:26 AM »

This thread is for people looking for opinions and ideas about business names.

Some advice before you post:
  • It's best to give a list of names to pick from or just some names to stir our imagination!
  • Maybe share something about the general aesthetic of your business.  Are you going for edgy? cutesy? chic? something else?
  • Share any other info you think is pertinent

Simply saying "I'd like a cool business name, can you help?" will not get you many responses.  Give us something to work with!  Smiley

Here are some additional threads that you may find helpful.

Tips for Naming your Business
How did you come up with your Brand Name?
How can you tell if a business name is already in use?
Using your legal name as your business name
Using a Pen Name

Archive of old Business name help threads
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010 12:44:52 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

toos

To thine own self be true! - William Shakespeare

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008 01:10:36 PM »

Ok, here goes....I want to start making and selling personalized books and tote bags. So, I won't be able to make a bunch of things for inventory, it will stictly be on a case by case basis. I am not sure how far I will get, but I really want to try it anyway.

I have a friend who owns part of a local shop and I was going to ask her if I could put a display there. I would have samples of my books and totes and brouchures with information on them and how to contact me.

I am having trouble with the name though...I was thinking of something along the lines of Personalized, or One of a Kind...something like that.

Anyone else have any thoughts? I would love to hear name thoughts, as well as general thoughts on my idea. Do you think selling personalized books and totes would go over?

Thanks everyone!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008 12:33:52 PM »

What do you mean by custom books?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

toos

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008 07:19:16 PM »

I actually hate to say specifically, as I don't want my idea stolen. But, basically, it is kids books. People will tell me what they want their book to say/be about and I will make it for them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008 10:36:59 AM »

Those are two really different items. Are the tote bags fully customized also? I would think something along the lines of Custom Tales would fit the books. Both together you'd have to get a lot blander! Something-Custom-Creations or the like. Personalized Peddler? Zounds, that's a mouthful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftinator
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008 02:59:36 PM »

Hi fellow Etsyans

I already have one shop but would like to try a second one because the two sets of things I would have are so totally different.  My current shop - Craftinator - is crafty and pretty much goes with my whim although I'm sorta focusing on the Puff Me Knots at the moment.  I have other things waiting in the wings like checkbook covers, CD holders and maybe some wall hangings made of copper tubing and wire.

But, I have an artsy side too (MPD?Huh the verdict is not in LOL)

Here is a site where you can see the two types of drawings that I do - along with crafts and cakes I've made but this is the best site for looking at my drawings -

www.picturetrail.co m/craftinator

Here's a few of my favs

I am thinking of focusing on ATCs and ACEOs but also selling some bigger stuff.

So, any ideas on what type of name would match what I do?  I'm drawin' a blank...

Thanks in advance for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

adiemonster

hiphopmapotamus v.s rymnoserous

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008 09:30:06 AM »

so me and my friend ( emma) are trying to start a bussness. we are a "all" natural crocheters , felters and crafters (always useing natural fibers). and i have two names in mind and we cant decied witch one 2 use.

1. FEX --- this is short for fiber explosion
2. EmPhasis -- her name is emma and mine is phoebe

i thing both kind of "jump" at you wich i like ...ALOT!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS SWAP 2!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=280446.0
(this is info forum)
toos

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008 02:21:46 PM »

I really like EmPhasis (not sure I spelled that right). I think that is really unique. The fact that it has a double meaning is cool!

It high school my best friend and I combinded our names to put on the back of our senior jerseys. We were "Jeneric". I thought it was cute.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaycrafts
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008 08:57:15 AM »

Okay, well I didn't come up with anything as original as you guys.  My goal is to open a brick and mortar store that sells handmade crafts, but I'm starting it on-line with just my stuff first.  So I needed a name that would fit both stores.

The biggest problem was finding a name that I could use as a my URL.  The first 50 or so names I came up with were not available as domain names.  Eventually I ended up with Craft Treasures.  Which I actually like.  And both words seem to fit with the nautical theme.  Craft like a boat, treasures, like pirate treasures.  In the end it fits well with the "handmade gifts and crafts from the Jersey Shore" theme.  And most importantly, the domain name was available.

Like I said, I was no where near as creative with the name as the rest of you were.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kay at Craft Treasures
Shop: www.crafttreasures. com
Crafters pages: www.crafttreasuresn j.com
crazystargrl
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008 03:59:20 PM »

craftinator - I don't know if this would work, but you could try something like "artinator" or "drawinator" or something that includes art, but still kind of connects to your original name of "craftinator".

I'm opening a shop on Etsy and I chose the name "Move the Needle". It's a cute pun and describes crafts. I'm doing mostly journals and stuff right now which doesn't always involve a needle or a lot of sewing, but I thought it'd be okay to use the name anyway. I kind of wanted to use "Cut it Out", but that was taken. The domain isn't available, but I think I'm going to buy "movetheneedlecreati ons.com". Do you think it sounds better as "movetheneedlecreati ons" or "movetheneedledesign s"? I'm leaning towards creations because I think that describes what I make better. I'm surprised "Move the Needle" wasn't taken on Etsy, I was sure somebody would have it. Anyway, I'd love any feedback on my name since I haven't really asked anyone yet. Also, any ideas for a logo?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008 04:28:43 PM by crazystargrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Move the Needle - handcrafted journals and other crafts

flickr / blog
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
how to Bring Drawings to Life Part 2/2 - Adobe After Effects
How to Create someone Firing a Gun - Scratch
How to Use Shadow Boxes - Dreamweaver
How to Create a Glossy Textured X - Adobe Photoshop
How to Tween - Adobe Flash CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...