A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,208
Currently Running With Scissors:
420 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Business Name thread - Get opinions and ideas about names for your business!  (Read 10199 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Craftinator
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2008 11:33:59 AM »

Would you believe etsy won't let me register it?Huh

I'll think of something.  The main things I'd be posting in there is my pastel and color pencil drawings and photos of the flowers from my garden.

preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', 'Think.......think........think........think....think..........')
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2008 03:37:36 PM »

ugh.  okay.  my ideas for a knitted gear/handmade journal/random bits and bobs shop:

anchor designs (tried several iterations of this for a domain, the best i can get is anchordesignsonline - Huh)
ship creek studio/designs/creations

running into a brick wall with the second part of the name - is there ANYTHING you can think of besides designs, boutique, crafts, studio, creations?  is that too pretentious? 

additionally, do those connote any specific TYPE of business? 

craftinator, are you trying to register it with spaces or with the hyphen?  if so, that may be the problem...   otherwise, i'm sad because i really liked tra'la.  what about something like... trawings (art backwards + drawings)?  eh.  i took a stab.  Smiley

ETA: if i called something anchor knits, would i be "able" to sell the other stuff there, too?  would that be weird?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008 03:38:30 PM by ruby_soho » THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
antigone
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2008 09:52:46 AM »

Hi,
I'm trying to find a good name which works in many languages.

My products: stationery items, art, photography, handbound books, self-published & illustrated poetry books, possibly sewn bags, jewellery.

I'd like a name which sounds beautiful and classy but not 'difficult' or too posh. Perhaps a 'person' name - Aurora, Artemisia - but artemisia.com is taken.
Something from astronomy, a plant name or a gemstone. Tourmaline?
Something which indicates a new beginning, something different.

My real name is very long and easily spelled wrong.

One of my nicknames is Tessa, would that work?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2008 05:43:12 AM »

The problem with the internet is...there are too many people out there with websites with the exact same name as you. Tessa is apparently pretty popular for a name. Just googled it and there's a lot out there.

You're on the right track, though. I like the gemstone/plant/astronomy track of thought, but keep in mind that many of the popular ones will be taken in some form or another, and some gems and plants may have copyrights or trademarks due to synthetic composition (they were invented rather than formed by nature, for example).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

antigone
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2008 08:08:23 AM »

The problem with the internet is...there are too many people out there with websites with the exact same name as you. Tessa is apparently pretty popular for a name. Just googled it and there's a lot out there.

You're on the right track, though. I like the gemstone/plant/astronomy track of thought, but keep in mind that many of the popular ones will be taken in some form or another, and some gems and plants may have copyrights or trademarks due to synthetic composition (they were invented rather than formed by nature, for example).

Thanks for your reply. That's a really good point about copyrights.
I've tried lots of variations in the past few days, and EVERYTHING is taken, mostly by those fake websites - I'm beginning to think some spyware just catches the domain names people search for and "parks" them. It's driving me nuts.

What the heck can I do? I mean, my name is Maria-Thrse and I own mariatherese.net, but that's no option for a business. I guess I'll keep looking and also trying to make up a name which sounds real and is easy to spell....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2008 08:29:28 AM »

Why isn't it an option?  I think it's nice, actually!

I don't know if this will help anyone but I like using obscure and out of use words. It's the geeky English minor in me, I guess. That's how I got Snickersnee. Smiley

http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/index.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

antigone
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2008 09:07:33 AM »

Thanks Smiley It's just that my name is often misspelled and I don't want the business name to sound directly connected to me; I want it to sound more gender neutral.

Guess what - I found something! a fiori , I bought www.afiori.com just to make sure it's an option for me. It's Italian for flowery, covered with blossoms.

I travel to Italy every year, use Italian papers and sell photos from Italy Smiley

Do you think it sounds okay, or is it too weird for someone with English as their first language? I'll have to make sure it doesn't have any bad connotations in other languages as well....

ETA: thanks for the link!! so much fun!

« Last Edit: July 22, 2008 09:10:23 AM by antigone » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nymphara
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2008 09:08:45 AM »

Jungrrl, you have just re-affirmed my belief in your awesome-ness! I love words! I think I am now addicted to that site...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2008 09:10:30 AM »

Understandable!

As for a fiori, as a native English speaker it sounds fine.  I've even heard it, or something like it, before (I mean that in the best way, as in, it isn't completely unfamiliar).

(Cheesy Nymphara!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

antigone
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2008 09:12:16 AM »

That's great!! I think it's something people can remember; it sounds familiar to me too! Cheesy *does happy dance*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Frank Lloyd Wright or An Igloo? Sexy Homes on Airbnb
Granite Vs. Laminate: Sustainability Below the Surface
Gardens of the Atomic Age: Landscaping Eichler Homes
Visitability: Smart Design Tips For Accessible Kitchens
Taking the Long View: How Not to Ruin the Eames House
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...