A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,155
Currently Running With Scissors:
545 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! A house divided-Cool vs. Warm colors, what do I do?  (Read 1179 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 14, 2010 02:46:13 AM »

Hi all! Have a question about painting for you all.

My boyfriend and I have bought a house. Due to lots of factors, I'm not going to be moving in for awhile after he has. But we are renovating it now together. He has picked out the colors for paint for the kids' bedrooms as well as the downstairs. Not all colors I love but I'll deal with it.

I really want to put a grey-blue color in the bedroom with a light sand color carpet (which the carpet is already there) but he doesn't like it. I am a cool color girl and he is a warm color guy. Is there any way to honor both preferences?

I guess it really bugs me he doesn't like this idea because he's picked out the other colors so I feel like I should be able to pick this one.

I really like these to give you guys a sense of what I want:

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Should I just show him these pics to "convince" him? Huh

(Oh, here is an idea of the other colors in the house:
Too much warm for my taste.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
southernstitcher

Proud citizen of the Who Dat Nation!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010 05:47:31 AM »

Well I would suggest that you show him the pics, and emphasize how a bedroom really needs to be cool, because you go to sleep there, and you don't want to be energized with warm colors.  You need relaxing, cool colors.
Also, there are neutrals that are neither warm nor cool that might be a solution.  You can visit Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore websites and both have those interactive color programs.  I think the SW site tells you which colors are warm/cool/neutral.  I would also visit gardenweb.com.  Choose Forums, Home Forums, and Paint or Home Decorating.   This site was worth a goldmine to me when I was renovating my kitchen.  Very helpful people!  Good luck!!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you are interested in making me some knitted dishcloths, contact me for a swap!  I'll sew you something or gift you with supplies!

When life hands you green velvet, make a green velvet dress.

My Wist:  http://www.wists.com/southernstitcher
swansong
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010 11:40:31 AM »

Would he be willing to go with a deeper blue? Blues are obviously inherently cool but there are some that are much warmer than others...Farrow & Ball's Cook's Blue (http://www.farrow-ball.com/productdetails.aspx?pid=0237CB) is a lot deeper than your examples, but with a tan carpet and white furniture/trim it won't be overbearing at all...and it's a lot warmer than most blues.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WhiteShade3
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010 11:58:47 AM »

Maybe add light blue throw pillows, a blue or purple floor vase,add cool colored artwork on the walls. You could also add light blue or blue-silver colored curtains to liven up what you already have without having to paint. Mirrors on the walls would make your space look larger and reflect light. Oh and a pretty cool colored rug would make a big difference in it's self. Hope this gives you a couple of ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010 06:03:47 PM »

Thanks for the great suggestions! I think a few may work....if no blue walls, blue accessories out to yin-yang!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
dawnofdolls
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010 09:41:27 AM »

I just moved in with my boyfriend as well, and we have been working to compromise on incorporating both of our very different styles into the place.  My boyfriend is very headstrong on what he likes, but he wants me to feel at home there so he has been flexible on things - as he should be. 

I think you should tell your boyfriend that you need to feel that you are contributing something to the home too, if it's really going to feel like a home to you.  He shouldn't have full reign over what happens to the house if it will be shared between the two of you.  Paint is easy to change... tell him to let you try it your way for the first year, and if he still can't stand it then, you two can compromise on a new color scheme.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please visit my Etsy shop:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/DawnOfDollz
iluvsparklies
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010 09:59:23 AM »

These are the issues we have to work our way into gently when combining 2 lives.  My husband and I have been married 16 years, second marriages for both, and at first, it was a tug-of-war, concerning decorating tastes, but we've gotten to the point where he trusts my decorating style and tastes completely, but I'm always sure to include him in choosing, like picking 2 colors I love and asking him to choose between them. 

When you come right down to it, most people think that all blues and greens are cool and all reds and yellows are warm, but that's just not true. For example, within the myriad shades of red, if a red has a slight blue cast to it (if it falls closer to the blues on the color wheel), it can read as cool, but if it has an orange cast to it, it might read as warm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog! Smiley Thursday's Child
And some of my art.... PBase
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Halloween Cupcake Ideas to Try
5 Great Halloween Treat Ideas to Try
Marble Cupcake Recipe By Lisa Marley
Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
How to Make the Perfect Croissants
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...