A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
509 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Which Janome sewing machine should I get?  (Read 26950 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dilemmax
« on: October 03, 2005 07:37:00 PM »

I thinking of getting a Janome sewing machine... but I'm kinda scared of the "low affordable" price and the word "budget" I saw on the catalogue. So I need your advice.

Currently, there are a few Janome sewing machines that are within my budget. They are:

- Janome MS 2008 $199
- Janome 521 $259
- Janome 419s $289
- Janome 525s $299

low price = not so good quality??

I bought my Bernette 55 for $299 so I'm kinda wary about the prices for these Janomes. I just want a machine that can go through several layers of fabrics (like denim when I'm making a pair of jeans) but still can handle lightweight fabrics. Maybe a one step buttonhole maker. I'm not too fussy about that.

P.S. Ugh... I hate my local sewing store. They sold me a Bernette 55 which I think is a very crappy sewing machine. I had my sewing machine serviced for the second time and only because I want to make sure my machine is in good condition. I took it back last week because I found out the bobbin wouldn't wind. The guy promised me that it will be available two days ago and now it will take about two weeks. They didn't even bother to call me to let me know. Now it's getting dismantled again because apparently they didn't put it back together properly. Damn it. 5 stars customers service my ass. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
talkcraft
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005 03:19:15 AM »

Hi,
I have had my Janome for about 5 years now so it is an older I bought once that had about 18 stitches. An automatic buttonhole and a top bobbin. It is the best thing I ever bought. I paid about $399 for mine but I haven't looked back. The sewing machine I had before this one was a brother and I was forever getting it fixed.
I felt I wanted to go for the inbetween price I wanted it to be a bit better than the most basic. I guess it depend what you are going to be sewing with it as well. If I sew denim etc I just make sure I have the right needle and it copes really well.
I was going to suggest going to your nearest Janome store or sewing center to actually try them out before you decide but it sounds like you won't want to do that.
Sorry not to much help but my experience with Janome has all been positive.
Good luck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blytheswideshut
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005 05:00:29 AM »

I just bought a Janome - and I'm so happy with it.  I got it two weekends ago, and I've used it everyday since.  My previous sewing machine was a very basic Brother machine, and it was easily the worst sewing machine on this earth.  I would never buy a Brother again (or get one as a gift as it was in my case).

When I was doing research about the sewing machine I wanted, I tried out a few first, then looked on the net to find the best prices (it seems that Janome, and pretty much all brands have 'fixed' prices set by the manufacturers/distributors so there aren't many savings to be made - although some places give more "gifts" than others), then I checked out the Janome website for info.

The MS2008 - is listed on the janome website www.janome.com.au as "This machine should not be marketed as being suitable for heavy fabrics or multiple layers of fabric."  Based on this I wouldn't buy it if you do a lot of craft sewing or sewing of any kind - because you will often or eventually want to sew with thicker fabrics of many layers - bags, jeans, softies etc.  I expect if you were to do basic dress making or mending it would be ok.

Personally, I'd be tossing up between the 419s or the 525s

I would suggest test-sewing them, and making a decision based on your gut instincts - they're pretty much the same.

Where are you located?

sorry for the LONG reply........
THIS ROCKS   Logged
allisone

a plum, floating in perfume, served in a man's hat

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005 05:24:05 AM »

Hi, actually I'm in the US, but wanted to say that I worked for Janome America in the marketing and education departments. While Janome Aust. is a different division ... the machines are all manufactured at the same facilities. The quality of the machines are good on the lower end models, they just don't have many different stitches or the bells and whistles the higher priced models have. I also know that Janome (when I left) was trying to build their brand awareness - so the upcoming promotions were trying to get Janomes in the hands of the new sewers - thus the quality machines with just the essential stitches.

I used every machine available in the US while I worked there (up until April this year - got married and had to move away from US headquarters Sad  When I left, I bought 3 Janome machines to take with me. So you know they have my vote of confidence - and I've seen the innerworkings and the service department Smiley

The most important thing to remember is to be honest with yourself about the type of sewing you do. Fashion, quilting, crafting ...etc. That way you will have a good idea of the features that you can't live without ... and the ones that you wouldn't use. I think the Janomes are excellent machines and all the people that I dealt with at Janome Australia were very nice and a wealth of info.

And hey, working at Janome was how I found craftster. I was looking for talented people, which craftster seems to have in abundance.

Sorry to but in to a discussion on a different country's board... just thought you might like a ..."from the horse's mouth" opinion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dilemmax
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005 07:59:40 AM »

Hey guys!!

Thanks for all your input. I went out and bought the Sewist 525s last weekend. I'm pretty impressed with the machine. Still having trouble doing the 1 step buttonhole. Nearly snapped the needle.  Embarrassed

::Allisone:: Thanks for your post. Much appreciated for the confidence boost. I'm so glad I went with Janome.

::blytheswideshut:: I'm from Perth, WA. My first overlocker is a Janome and it was second hand. It never gave me any problems. So I thought I'd thought I'll give Janome sewing machines a go.

::talkcraft:: Haha, I asked the lady if the 525s would sewing several layers of denim and she gave me a rather vague answer. But this machine cope pretty well. What needle do you use? 14?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dilemmax
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005 05:14:11 AM »

By the way, allisone. What was the three Janome machine you took with you when you left?? Do you think a quilting machine is suitable for sewing all types of fabric?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
allisone

a plum, floating in perfume, served in a man's hat

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005 07:58:44 AM »

I took a 6500p (quilting machine), a 300e (the embroidery only machine), and a Jem Gold (the ultra light portable machine). The quilting machine and the portable will sew through multiple layers.
Before I left I was using the Memory Craft 10,001 at home, but when it came time to buy my own, (as opposed to have a free loaner from work - ahhh the perks!) I thought separate machines for sewing and embroidery would suit me better. It also ended up to be a little cheaper with no loss of function.

I've used the 6500 on everything from my silk crepe wedding dress to canvas window shades. Using the correct needle for the fabric is really helpful.

BTW, I like the older Janome overlockers much better than the newer ones. They are a lot more reliable. The new ones have more functions and are easier to thread, but the older ones *never* mess up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cubeysuze
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013 02:36:02 AM »

Hi,
I am thinking of getting the Janome Memery Craft 6500P, but it's been updated with a newer model - the 660.
Is the 6500P still worth the asking price?

I took a Janome 6500p (quilting machine), a 300e (the embroidery only machine), and a Jem Gold (the ultra light portable machine). The quilting machine and the portable will sew through multiple layers.
Before I left I was using the Memory Craft 10,001 at home, but when it came time to buy my own, (as opposed to have a free loaner from work - ahhh the perks!) I thought separate machines for sewing and embroidery would suit me better. It also ended up to be a little cheaper with no loss of function.

I've used the 6500 on everything from my silk crepe wedding dress to canvas window shades. Using the correct needle for the fabric is really helpful.

BTW, I like the older Janome overlockers much better than the newer ones. They are a lot more reliable. The new ones have more functions and are easier to thread, but the older ones *never* mess up.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013 10:58:52 PM by cubeysuze » THIS ROCKS   Logged
cubeysuze
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013 11:00:23 PM »

Nobody got any thoughts on this?
Would love to hear some good reviews / horror stories about the 6500P MC before diving in.

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
L*Space By Monica Wise 2013 At Mercedes Benz Fashion Week, Miami Beach
Red Carter 2013 At Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Swim, Miami Beach
Mara Hoffman 2013 At Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Swim, Miami Beach
Aqua Di Lara 2013 At Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Swim, Miami Beach
Caffe 2013 At Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Swim, Miami Beach
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...