A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,083
Currently Running With Scissors:
525 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I opted for the Janome 6600P over the new Horizon 7700  (Read 4668 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NicoleMarie
« on: June 13, 2010 04:56:09 AM »

I was in the market to upgrade my Janome 6500 and had an opportunity to check out the brand new Janome 7700 last week.  It is a gorgeous machine, but after testing it out I quickly decided the machine as nice as it is wasn't for me.  Aside from the hefty price tag there were a few things I didn't like about it....they eliminated the independent motor bobbin winder - why, I have no idea!  I wasn't crazy about having a stylus to worry about losing.  It doesn't fit the Janome sewing table (ok, so it's bigger, but I love my table and from what I understand the new table for the 7700 is VERY pricey). 

Other than the size and lighting, I really couldn't find a good enough reason to spend a small fortune on it.  OK, the straight stitch plate is a nice option - but not for $1500 more than the 6600!    The free arm is a nice upgrade, but honestly I have gotten used to not having it with my 6500.  If I REALLY need it, I can pull out my old Brother.  It doesn't sew any faster and I really don't need more stitches than what the 6500/6600 offer.  The 6600 HAS the accufeed.....so, what really was I getting for my money?   I ended up purchasing BOTH the Janome 6600 AND a Janome 1600DB (both which fit my Janome sewing table) for significantly less than the Horizon.  I thank the new Horizon for getting me a sweet deal on my "older model" purchases! 

Perhaps a quilter (which I am not, although I require many of the same features a quilter does) will find the Horizon more appealing than I did, but it just wasn't for me.  I have used my 6600 for over a week now and am extremely happy.  The speed of the 1600DB is beyond amazing.  I have no regrets on my decision!   Smiley

You can read more about my experience/decision here: http://sewplicity.blogspot.com/2010/06/janome-junkie.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ming
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010 12:11:33 AM »

Congrats on adding these new babies to your sewing room! I'm waiting for my 1600P DBX and anxious to get started on it. Can you tell me how much it weighs? That's one thing I haven't been able to nail down in my research, I know it's heavy but even the manual doesn't seem to list this info (at least the .pdf online version).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NicoleMarie
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010 04:58:06 AM »

I don't know the exact weight, but it is probably just over 25lbs.  It is on the heavy side (it needs to be as a prof. machine).  It's all metal construction which is nice.  Make sure you place it on a sturdy table - when you use it at full speed it can move around if not secure. 

I actually do have the DBX (not the DB model).  It's a wonderful machine and I'm sure you will love it just as much as I do!  Enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cubeysuze
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013 04:45:16 AM »

I was in the market to upgrade my Janome 6500 and had an opportunity to check out the brand new Janome 7700 last week.  It is a gorgeous machine, but after testing it out I quickly decided the machine as nice as it is wasn't for me.  Aside from the hefty price tag there were a few things I didn't like about it....they eliminated the independent motor bobbin winder - why, I have no idea!  I wasn't crazy about having a stylus to worry about losing.  It doesn't fit the Janome sewing table (ok, so it's bigger, but I love my table and from what I understand the new table for the 7700 is VERY pricey). 

Other than the size and lighting, I really couldn't find a good enough reason to spend a small fortune on it.  OK, the straight stitch plate is a nice option - but not for $1500 more than the 6600!    The free arm is a nice upgrade, but honestly I have gotten used to not having it with my 6500.  If I REALLY need it, I can pull out my old Brother.  It doesn't sew any faster and I really don't need more stitches than what the 6500/6600 offer.  The 6600 HAS the accufeed.....so, what really was I getting for my money?   I ended up purchasing BOTH the Janome 6600 AND a Janome 1600DB (both which fit my Janome sewing table) for significantly less than the Horizon.  I thank the new Horizon for getting me a sweet deal on my "older model" purchases! 

Perhaps a quilter (which I am not, although I require many of the same features a quilter does) will find the Horizon more appealing than I did, but it just wasn't for me.  I have used my 6600 for over a week now and am extremely happy.  The speed of the 1600DB is beyond amazing.  I have no regrets on my decision!   Smiley

Interesting that you upgraded FROM the 6500, as I am currently considering upgrading TO the 6500.

Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sherry Lansing: Worthy of More
Sherry Lansing: The First Wives Club
Sherry Lansing: You Married Your First Boyfriend
Callie Khouri: Oscar-Winning Writer & Creator of "Nashville"
Callie Khouri: Being a Female Director
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...