A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,367
Currently Running With Scissors:
550 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Washcloths and Hand Towels for Oil Clean Up  (Read 3130 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KismetFyrechyld
That Crazy Redhead

Crochet, Chainmail, Amtgard, Theatre-I do that.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 13, 2010 02:37:41 AM »

I'm not a knitter, but I wanted to share this with everyone, so I'm copying my post from the crochet board-Hope that's ok!

Not sure if this is where I should be posting this, but here goes: I ran across this article a couple days ago. I have since been crocheting like a madwoman, trying to make a pile of these to send off. Craft Hope is working with several wildlife organizations to help save dolphins, birds, and other wildlife that are being affected by the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. These organizations need washcloths and hand towels (no bath towels, as they are too big) and Dawn dish soap to clean oil off of these animals. These towels don't need to be anything fancy-in fact they said that old cotton tshirts and sheets cut into squares will work. The edges don't need to be hemmed or anything fancy, just no ragged ends that could get caught on the animals. The towels are only going to be used a couple of times before they will be ruined from the oil and will have to be thrown away, so they want function over fashion. They would like these sent in by July 3rd, but will continue to accept donations after that (since the spill is obviously going to take longer than that to clean up). Contact information and shipping info are included in the article, if anyone is interested. This isn't just a crochet project, either-they will take whatever they can get! I'm going to include the link to the article below. THANK YOU to everyone that helps with this. It's a solid way to help with the cleanup, and all it'll cost ya is some yarn, some time, and shipping. Happy crafting!

http://crafthope.com/2010/06/project-8-gulf-coast-oil-spill/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I started making chain mail jewelry in June 2011, and started my own company, Incendia Designs, in August 2011. I also crochet, act, sew (a little) and am enjoying being a newlywed!
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010 09:34:12 AM »

Thanks for posting this! I am going to check it out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KismetFyrechyld
That Crazy Redhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010 02:46:46 AM »

Thanks! I hope this will get some attention. Other than the hair and pantyhose thing, it's one of the first things I've seen that actually seems like it will help with the oil spill. It's not a plea for money, so I'm inclined to trust it-besides, who would set up a scam asking for washcloths and dish soap?  Cheesy  I'd be sending off pantyhose to help with the other deal, too, but I haven't been able to find out where to send them...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010 02:48:19 AM by KismetFyrechyld - Reason: My grammar goes down the tubes after 3am... » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I started making chain mail jewelry in June 2011, and started my own company, Incendia Designs, in August 2011. I also crochet, act, sew (a little) and am enjoying being a newlywed!
bird_in_flight
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010 03:18:45 PM »

You are just a dream! Thank you so much for sharing this! My husband watches the news so I inevitably see all the destruction going on because of that horrible oil spill. I'd see it anyway... it's hard to get away from. And it absolutely turns my stomach. Sure, I use oil and gasoline for my car and heating the apartment, as many of us do, but it's meant to be contained, not covered on animals! It's heart breaking.

That's my little spiel. I'm off to read that article and get to work! Thanks again for posting this!

Take care,
Laney
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's so wrong it isn't right
PumpkinKelly
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010 05:26:16 PM »

what a cool way to help.  i probably even have some half started projects that could be used, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Kelly
KismetFyrechyld
That Crazy Redhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010 01:47:47 AM »

Thanks, guys! Like I said, I figured this was a tangible way of helping with the spill-plus, there's absolutely no political junk involved, which I see as a HUGE bonus!!! Don''t get me wrong, I go out and vote, but I fail to see how pointing fingers at various political figures is doing anyone any good, and I think we should be focused on helping the animals that are getting sick and dying, and the people who are losing their livelihoods (fishing, tourism, etc.) as a result of this spill. So I was incredibly impressed by Craft Hope for setting this up. Another organization that's doing some good things for the oil spill "victims" (for lack of a better term-the people on the Gulf Coast who are being affected by this) is Angel Food Ministries. They donated a truckload of groceries to families in Louisiana a couple of weeks ago. Anyway, I really hope we can get a ton of these made and sent off to help-I've finished 8 washcloths and 5 hand towels since I started them Saturday evening! Plus, one of my red shirts leaked dye onto a yellow one in the washer today, so it's getting cut up into rags as well, since it just happens to be 100% cotton! I'm bummed to lose the shirt, since it happens to be a favorite, but at least it's going to a good cause! Thanks again, and happy crafting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010 08:47:42 AM »

Thanks for posting this, taking a look at it right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Lilley
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010 01:23:11 PM »

what a wonderful way to help...thanks for posting this.
Vicki
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KismetFyrechyld
That Crazy Redhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010 06:03:03 AM »

Grin Thank you all so much! I had no idea this would get so many responses-I'm just glad we can help!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010 08:02:42 PM »

This totaly rocks.. What a wonderful idea!  I will hopefully be doing this, not much to chop up some old shirts and serge the edges!  I can't knit or crochet fast enough t oget 10 done in even a month LOL  I shared it on my facebook, so I'm hoping to get more people involved!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Scott Westerfeld Interviews Cassandra Clare
Meet Author Christi Phillips
Chloe Hooper Talks About Tall Man
Meet Author Elle Newmark
Meet Author Sandra Gulland
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...