A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,053
Currently Running With Scissors:
712 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Picnic ideas for a picky eater?  (Read 696 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Thomas Marow
« on: May 21, 2010 12:59:38 PM »

So, it's warming up here in Maine, and Sam (my long distance bf) is coming to visit. The last time he came it was too cold for a picnic at 'our' spot, but the weather is going to be perfect this time. There's only a few things- he's picky(er than I am) when it comes to food, and we'll have to do a double picnic- one for lunch and dinner. For the first picnic it'll be lunch at our spot (the lighthouse), and then dinner in the park watching Shakespeare. I'm stuck at coming up with food ideas, so I thought I'd offer it up to you guys.

He doesn't like: Fish, jalepenos, any sort of peppers, olives, bean sprouts, alfalfa, and pickles (I love them, personally)

I'm a pretty experienced cook, and love to try new things- which is why I didn't want to go the usual sandwhich route. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144, 233, 377, 610, 987, 1597, 2584, 4181, 6765, 10946, 17711, 28657, 46368, 75025, 121393, 196418, 317811....

Available for personal swaps Smiley
kismitj
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010 02:04:17 PM »

maybe something like shredded bbq chicken in tortillas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010 05:46:28 AM »

How about doing some fancied up wraps for the lunch?

You can use the wrap bread availiable in many groceries or large tortillas. Add lunch meat, chese, veggies, and a dab of dressing. Roll up and wrap with plastic wrap. They are easy to make up a day ahead. Be careful of putting too much tomato though. They can sog out a wrap.

Add in a pasta or green salad as a side. Voila and fancier pic nic lunch!

I'll think on the dinner some more. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancedupapillon
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010 03:44:50 PM »

My boyfriend is also called Sam and I make him a picnic for his birthday every year.  It's coming up (on monday) so I've been coming up with a menu.  He likes all the things you mentioned, save the fish, because he's allergic, but I'm not a fan of olives or pickles (or mushrooms) so I usually pack smaller portions of those, because they're his favorites.

Things that have gone over really well in previous years are sun tea or home made iced tea, a thermos of soup (it was roasted red pepper, but any kind will do) with fresh bread, a baguette with some really nice cheese like a brie or a camembert and fruit, lemon vodka shrimp, cold roasted vegetables (zucchini, eggplant, asparagus...)with some marinated artichoke hearts and prosciutto, potato salad. 

We're both foodies, so I tend to get pretty elaborate with my birthday picnics, but nice simple ones are fun too.
Here's what I would do for a double picnic with a slightly picky eater:

Lunch: Good fresh bread, either home made or from a bakery, two of your/his favorite cheeses, perhaps a thermos of soup, cherries and strawberries, roasted veggies or a salad, and iced tea.

Supper: Cold chicken served with a pasta salad, green beans, a Waldorf salad, a half-bottle of wine (you can get wine in cans too, now!) or a bottle of beer each, provided it's legal, or lemonade, and his favorite kind of cookie for desert.

For the chicken, I like to marinade chicken thighs in plain (not vanilla) yogourt mixed with cumin, parsley, cardamom, and corriander, then grill them on the barbecue.  Just make sure to oil the grill before turning it on...

Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010 04:26:09 AM »

pie is good, we always try to have at least one pie at a picnic (our last picnic had a savoury pie)
wraps are also good
pasta salads
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use IR Converted Camera
How to Understand Qualities Of Storm Light
How to Photograph Architectural Patterns
How to Create Extraordinary Colors
How to Take a Pet Photograph
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...