A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,084
Currently Running With Scissors:
540 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Foraging wild vegetables  (Read 1652 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010 03:18:44 AM »

I grew up in the mountains of northeast TN and southwest VA. My mamaw was a mountain woman and I spent most every summer with her since both of my parents worked. I remember all too well going into the woods behind her house with a basket to collect wild vegetables and fruits.

She would collect wild dandelion greens and flowers, poke berry stalk (she used it in cobblers like rhubarb), the obvious blackberries, wild strawberries (a pie made from those was serious work!) and then something she called "dry land fish", a type of mushroom. She would gather those mushrooms a day or two after a good rain. We'd bring them home, wash, batter them with a corn meal mixture and fry them. They were SO good!

The years passed and I eventually went off to college. I'm sitting in a French lit class listening to my prof go on about French mushrooms. She was showing us pictures of her favorites that she gathered while living there. I asked for a closer look at her pictures. She was talking about "dry land fish"! I asked her for more info. Apparently, "dry land fish" as I knew them are called Morel mushrooms elsewhere in the world and they were going for around $30 a pound at that time. I can't tell you how many pounds of those things we collected. LOL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010 09:49:50 AM »

Here in the UK we have so much wild garlic that it makes the woods smell like my kitchen, the tubers are smaller than bought garlic with a slightly more earthy taste. But it's free and natural and very highly recommended.

HM

aha, only on the western side of the country though. here in the east we don't seem to get it as prolifically so I got a west country friend to dig up a couple of bulbs for me after the flowering seasoin was over a couiple of years ago and I planted them in my garden. I forgot all about them. one growing season came and went and they did nothing, then this spring lo and behold among my cultivated garlic and onions, there's a load of ransomes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010 04:30:46 PM »

Tonight I'll be making the garlic-mushroom pasta dish again this time with wild amaranth (pigweed) - we love that recipe!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Paint Blood Angels
How to Do Scrapbook Embellishments
How to Paint N Gauge Buildings
How to Paint N Gauge Model Railways
How to Paint Plastic Military Models
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...