A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,385
Currently Running With Scissors:
681 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 18th c. corset  (Read 2323 times)
Tags for this thread: corset  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

merlina
« on: June 11, 2010 07:20:20 PM »

I took a corset crash-course last semester (man, was it intense; we learned a ton and did a huge amount of work in only four weeks). I made a 1785 corset from a pattern in our textbook, "Corsets and Crinolines" by Norah Waugh. Wonderful book! Perfect for those who want to learn about the history, construction, wearing, and every other minute aspect of corsets.

The corset is made of beige coutil, 49 hand-cut and tipped flat steel bones, metal grommets, white Prussian tape for the bone channels, and binding cut of some fuchsia fabric I found at the last minute.

The outside:

The inside:

Close-up of the craptastic binding on the tabs. I haaaate tabs. No wonder corsetiers got rid of tabs in the 19th c. Tongue

More inside close-ups:

Sorry, no action-photos: the corset now belongs to the theater department of my college. Tongue And even though it's not the loveliest of corsets, who cares? It's underwear, after all. Smiley And it's sturdily made and won't fall apart for a long time. Huzzah! I'm proud of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amazing_784
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010 07:39:24 PM »

Nice job!  I made myself a corset to wear under the Elizabethan court gown I'm working on.  It was fun, to say the least, and I ended up not cutting tabs for it at the last minute.  The fabric is there, just uncut, so it's one long panel on the side.  It wears well though, so I'm happy with it.
Are you going to make any more, or is this your one and only?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

merlina
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010 08:43:59 PM »

Nice job!  I made myself a corset to wear under the Elizabethan court gown I'm working on.  It was fun, to say the least, and I ended up not cutting tabs for it at the last minute.  The fabric is there, just uncut, so it's one long panel on the side.  It wears well though, so I'm happy with it.
Are you going to make any more, or is this your one and only?

Thanks! I would love to see the corset you've made (and the gown too, when you complete it!). Will you post them on Craftster?

In the class we each only made one corset. But the class hooked me on corsetry, so I plan to keep making more on my own. The patterns in the book by Waugh are wonderful (though since they are drafted from real historical corsets, they often need to be adjusted and fitted to the modern woman).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fontiua
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010 09:18:06 PM »

Your are a much braver soul than I. You did a fab job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creating something from nothing is the most theraputic thing in this world for my soul.
m.emery
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010 03:52:28 AM »

Ohhh! I like that so much.. the colors are great... and the construction looks awesome too!  I would not just wear that as underwear... nope I'd let that sucker shine! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Paisley_rose
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010 10:13:11 AM »

nice corset!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
afterannabel
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010 12:34:38 AM »

I think that's pretty great! I would so not wear that UNDER my clothes. Really looking forward to seeing more corsets from you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tiker
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010 08:43:54 AM »

Really good work! Looks very very good ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Look After Your Spinning Wheel
How to Prepare a Shuttle for Weaving
How to Weave on a Traditional Loom
How to Make a Jubilee Pennant
How to Make a Jubilee Banner
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...