A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,048
Currently Running With Scissors:
442 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What can you do to a room you can't do anything to?  (Read 5599 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kiewiet
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010 11:58:25 PM »

I'll swap your beige walls for my green ones any day! Are landlords colorblind?
That said, I know how depressing it gets to have bland walls.
How long do you intend to stay there? That may affect the amount of $$$ you want to spend.
If you can, decide where your mirrors will go and get them up - not only are they a great way to reflect light but it will also feel more like "your space". (also mirrors leaning against a wall can easily break and picking shards of glass out of carpet is no fun, and takes ages Cry) Also re-arranging your furniture may make a big difference.

Adding color in the knicknacks or soft furnishings also works especially well against a boring wall color. Many agents advise people to paint their houses beige before selling as it is a softer colour than white and you can add almost any other colour in furnishings and still have it look OK.
You can also get cheap blank canvasses at many dollar store and it could be a cheap easy way to personalise things, especialy if you and a friend have a paint party Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RamenQueen
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010 01:43:23 PM »

I move in to my new place  Aug 1st. My landlord will let us paint our bedrooms any color we want ( its his niche) ***don't hate me ***But since my comforter , blanket chest , and night stand are all snow dripping white and my accessories are Vibrant Mexican-blanket style bright colors ( lamps vases , an actual mex blanket on the foot of my bed and paper cut outs on the wall) I prefered our off white paint . ( BTW if you need an apartment in Huntington WV and want to paint your bedroom , hit me up I'll pass on his name lol)

That being said we cannot paint anywhere else. I live with a male roommate who has asked nicely that I do not use pink, florals or stuffed animals in the decor of our shared bath, kitchen and Living room. I think I am going to use the above starch/fabric idea for our long hall way/stairwell to add some pizzaz.
Thanks for the info !
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suzyscissors

There's only one thing I love more than crafting..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010 10:42:09 PM »

If you do end up trying the starch and fabric, let us know how it works for you and maybe post some pics!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
happyfrog
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2010 11:10:25 AM »

i second the suggestion of spray starch and fabric.  it works great to affix to walls like wallpaper.  just don't have little kids around til it's dry.  or it'll be smeary - i did it to windows actually to make their bedrooms darker.

and it peels off really easily and then you can wipe down the walls (or not, lol depending on  your mood)

simply launder the fabric afterwards and it'll be ready for your next project.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.answeredprayers.aboutmybaby.com
mommy to three amazing children on earth!  Smiley
happyfrog
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010 11:12:22 AM »

oh yeah and i forgot to mention that spray starch and tissue paper - the colored stuff - looks AWESOME on walls and windows!  we did that first before we did the fabric  - the kids peeled off the tissue paper too fast, lol so we redid it with fabric. ..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.answeredprayers.aboutmybaby.com
mommy to three amazing children on earth!  Smiley
kellianneeee
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2011 02:10:59 PM »

I'm just now seeing all these responses, and they're all great ideas. But my dad and I have since moved back into our house. I never ended up doing anything. We had gotten a new landlord and he expected us to pay him $1000 as a security deposit. It didn't happen. And he wanted us to get the carpets professionally cleaned when we left. That didn't happen either. But now that we're back in our house again I'm trying to redo my room to suit me. Maybe I'll use some of these ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjbf^_^
Crying Goddess
Rocking CraftAngel

Every girl is her own goddess

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012 03:44:37 AM »

I happened to be looking at the same thing. (no painting at the new place) and I found this great how-to from eHow. You use sheets and liquid starch and it apparently comes right off.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5044689_use-starch-apply-fabric-wall.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quote from: kjlutz
Craftster: Lovingly Breaking up Families in the name of Craft since Challenge 50

Please vote for my Redstone torch for challenge 96:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431999.0#axzz2vJFPpJwN
Alexus1325
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012 07:53:54 PM »

Just thought I'd mention that here in Ontario, you can paint whether your landlord likes it or not AND you can even give him/her a copy of the receipt for reimbursement because it counts as an improvement to the rental unit. The only catch is it must be a "neutral" shade that will not be necessary to paint over for the next tenant. For example, golden wheat = ok, hot pink = not ok.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AhuraFarouk
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012 02:56:29 AM »

One of my friend has decorated his walls with photo frames which come up with different shapes and sizes.

And for other walls he has removable wall paper and mirror stickers too.. You can have both or any combination.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eiyela
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012 05:44:11 AM »

Glad you found a more customisable place to live. It's hard not to redecorate once you start crafting.  Wink

I saw this interior decorating show a while ago. It's in Swedish unfortunately, but they were dealing with a similar problem. They solved it by simply building a false wall in front of the real ones! It looked beautiful, completely part of the room. There was a skylight in the place as well, really tall and white walls, so they stuck some coloured plastic onto the skylight and a couple of windows to reflect on the walls like movable wall art. I think they also made a standalone bookcase to fit into one of the walls.

Last time I lived in an apartment wit ha roommate we weren't even allowed to use tacks on the walls (I know, right? Roll Eyes). Our solution was a sort of chicken-wire frame on one of the walls for our pictures and things. Plus bed frames, giant bookcase, all that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Tempeh and Shiitake Mushroom Stir-Fry
How to Make Teriyaki Glazed Duck Breast
Curry Chicken with Apples and Pasta Recipe
How To Make Curry Sushi
Chicken Lajawab Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...