A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
497 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What can you do to a room you can't do anything to?  (Read 5349 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kellianneeee
« on: June 11, 2010 10:00:49 AM »

I'm currently living in a small duplex. It's nice and all, but the walls are so...boring. They are all this ugly beige color. Every. Single. Wall. Our landlord won't even let us paint the walls white. So what can I do to my room to make it less dull? :/ I need the opinions of the fellow crafters on this one. We have loads of paintings scattered around the house but the only one that's in here is the panther one. And it's not very colorful either. Pictures!

When you walk in the room, this is what you'll see.
Looking right: (sorry for the unmade bed, i'm lazy and got up too early this morning to want to make it.

Looking straight ahead: (this is the closest to the actual color I was able to get. :/ I also have yet to actually hang my mirrors up even though we've been here for almost 6 months. o.o)

Looking left: (excuse the messy looking ferret cage. he's very messy)

Behind: (the color is so drab you can't even see where the walls meet! && the red on the bottom corner of the picture isn't really there. it's got some metallicy sheen to it that shows rainbows from different angles.)

With all that being said and shown, please remember I'm not allowed to paint the walls. >.> It makes personalizing the place so much harder.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjbf^_^
Silvana

Leaving the world more beautiful than I found it.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010 12:14:46 PM »

When I had a icky rental to decorate, I hung pretty fabric on the walls using 3M sticky tab hooks.
I used ALOT of 3M sticky tab hooks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010 12:16:36 PM »

There have been a couple posts where people applied a grid of assorted scrapbook paper to their walls in their preferred color scheme. It looks a lot better than it sounds! I am a fan of command strips, you can hang up anything and it won't damage the walls. I even put up a small quilt with them. A colorful headboard or draperies over the blinds might be another way to go, but more expensive. Though you can make your own quilted headboard with plywood, fabric, batting, a staple gun and some buttons.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
Strawberryh

Jesus save me from your followers

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010 08:31:17 PM »

Here is a great way to add color to your walls. Make strips of fabric the with of a dowel rod. with rod packets on each end. hand them evenly spaced across one or more walls. you use two dowels per fabric strip. if you cut with pinking sheers or tear the fabric on the grain you don't even have to hem the sides.
threat these as if they were part of the wall when hanging art. And both solid or patterned fabric look good this way. or you can use wall paper too but most are more expensive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strawberryh

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010 08:35:57 PM »

Also you need a bed board. You can use paper or fabric for this. it will make the world of difference in how the bed looks. My aunt added rod pockets to pillow shams and hung them as a head board. I used a fence I found in the garbage. You could even weave fabric with interfacing to get the look then tack or 3m hook it up to the wall
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strawberryh

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010 08:49:16 PM »

Ok last suggestion.
Make a cornice board for over the window use styro foam sheets cut them wide enough to cover the pre-existing one use t pins and foam glue to make it cover it with a thing layer of batting and fabric. then tack or t-pin Fabric to the inside of the cornice use a light gauze or voile  I did this in my moms bathroom and put it up with thumb tacks.  I used silk flower vines to tie the curtain open. My very snobby aunt thought they were the most wonderful thing (she never looked to close to see the tacks. you could make the cornice mach the head board. Ok I am done
Hope I you get some good Ideas. oh and put a bed skirt on the box spring or put a fitted sheet on it. it will look better also bed stand tables the seem to fit the height of the bed will make the bed look more put together. you can make them with just a sheet of wood (painted to look finished) or tempered glass or a tempered mirror on stacked hard back book with the dust jackets taken off.
Ok I am done now I mean it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010 02:34:24 PM »

You can't paint your walls...but is painting your furniture an option?  Right now, it sort of blends into the beige, but painting it a bright (or dark) color for contrast would help give the room some oomph.  A brightly colored bedspread and sheets would help, too.  Also, I totally understand the bed on the floor situation, but I have a couple faux headboard ideas:  1) paint three equal sized canvases (you can get them on sale at Hobby Lobby for pretty cheap) in bright colors--either one solid one all the way across, or have fun with it! and hang them across the head of the bed.  2)  I saw this in a book once, and it was really pretty...they strung a line across the head of the bed, between two hooks (it was a tension line, I'm pretty sure), and then hung equally spaced dried roses upside down from it, tied on with twine.  There are loads of other things you can do, in lieu of an actual headboard, too.

Also, I've been in this exact same situation, and I found that just a few bright splashes of my favorite jewel tones, plus some flowers (I lucked into a freeze dried bouquet whose color was halfway between fresh and dried, and it lasted years) were enough to drive the blahs away.  I tried the fabric on the walls thing, but for some reason, my family tends to generate more dust than average, and washing it was a pain in the rear.  Keep this in mind if you or anyone else in your family have allergies!  And good luck!  It just takes some inspiration to get you going.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Petsisme
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010 01:29:03 AM »

Are you allowed to put some pictures on the wall?
If so I think that would be the perfect solution for you.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
suzyscissors

There's only one thing I love more than crafting..

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010 01:47:56 AM »

Just after I moved out of residence halls in college I found an awesome tutorial about using fabric with starch (which is completely removable) just like wallpaper.  I never got to use it but I guess now I can just pass it on to others.. lol.  I don't know where the original tutorial is now but here is one that is basically the same:

http://www.rentaldecorating.com/quick_fix_fabric_on_walls.htm

It'll let you put whatever design or even a solid color where you'd like but still be able to remove it when moving out time comes.  I'd keep an eye on red tag fabrics and sales and you could probably do it on the cheap!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
panther_012003
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010 12:05:49 PM »

You could get some removable wall stickers. i just searched on Amazon and there are tons of them, and they will peel off without damaging paint:

http://www.amazon.com/Spring-Flowers-Green-Sticker-Decals/dp/753442514X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1276714925&sr=1-2

Cheap and cute!

Or you could add a giant, colorful poster or "tapestry" - Giant canvases are pretty expensive but if you are somewhat handy you could easily make wood frame and nail some funky fabric around the edges.

Ditto that adding color to furniture or maybe a colorful lampshade, rug or pillows would help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Build a Bookcase
How to Build a Bunk Bed
How to Build a Marble Roller Coaster
How to Dye Fabric
How to Dye Leather
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...