A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,048
Currently Running With Scissors:
385 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ribbed Lace Bolero (Crochet version) - with pattern  (Read 7010 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MissCraftyFingers
« on: June 11, 2010 12:36:25 AM »

I really like this Ribbed Lace Bolero (http://kellymaher.wordpress.com/2007/07/04/ribbed-lace-bolero/) but I don't really know how to knit. So I decided to make a crochet version of it. I finished this on 29 April 2010 but didn't weave in the end of the yarn until this morning. Tongue

So, here's me modelling it in the toilet at my office building. lol
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010 10:01:08 AM by MissCraftyFingers » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010 01:57:01 AM »

really cute Cheesy  I love the color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
pinniped
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010 03:29:09 AM »

Lovely work, it looks great on you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sherrie B, UT
Show me your Creativity!What's you Passion?

I love living in Utah!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010 08:44:58 AM »

O that is just DARLING!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." by Scott Adams
~
MY WISTS: http://www.wists.com/SherrieB
Crafty Detective Rd. 7  sendouts Apr. 14, 2011) 
Spoopy
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010 05:23:43 PM »

wow I love this!! what kind of yarn did you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craftineer
So many crafts, so little time.

My Furry Ones

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010 10:11:42 AM »

That's a great idea to crochet it if you can't knit it.  And it came out very nice too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My retirement plans include winning the lottery.

My Pinterest
shan-E-bear

I don't DO Normal

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010 10:39:56 AM »

very nice! I'm jealous...mostly because I can't knit or croche...hmm may need to work on that
But anyways..its very cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check me out!! I was featured on Geekcrafts.com!

50 Crafts in 2011 60!/50

I went wisting!!
twisted5whispers
Knit knit knit

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010 10:59:11 AM »

I would love a pattern if you have one! I know a few people who would love that, and i can't knit to save my life! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Interested in doing personal swaps! I can knit, crochet and sew. Smiley
MissCraftyFingers
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010 06:32:54 PM »

thank you all!  Grin

Spoopy: the yarn i used is Sirdar's Wash 'n' Wear Double Crepe Dk.

twisted5whispers: it's a really simple pattern. But I crocheted this about 2 months ago so I can't remember right now. LOL. i need to go look at the shrug and write it down. Gimme some time and I'll post it up (note: it took me 2 months to weave in the ends :p).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissCraftyFingers
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010 10:00:38 AM »

I guess I'm better and quicker at coming up with the pattern than weaving in the ends. Tongue
Anyway, this is a really easy crochet pattern, inspired from the knitted version here (http://kellymaher.wordpress.com/2007/07/04/ribbed-lace-bolero/). And its not really lace. Tongue

First of all, measurements. This is based on the description from the knitted version. Its the same logic as the knit version, so credits not mine.

Measure your shoulder span. Add 4 inches for each sleeve. So, if my shoulder span is 17 inches, I add 8 inches to it, which brings about a total of 25 inches.This will be the width of the bolero.

Next, measure your upper arm. Mine measures 12.5 inch. Add 6.5 inch to this measurement. This will be be the length of the bolero.

After that, you will have to calculate the number of chains required to start this project.

You will need to chain in multiples of 4 + 2 chain.

So, if for example, my gauge is 4 stitches per inch. My shoulder is a total of 25 inches. So, (25 x 4) + 2 = 102.

I will need to chain 102 to start.

Abbreviations:

Ch = Chain
SC = Single Crochet
FPDC = Front Post Double Crochet
BPDC = Back Post Double Crochet

Start of Pattern:

Chain __. (the total # of stitches calculated as per your measurements. Mines 102)

Ribbed Row 1: SC into the 2nd chain from hook. SC in the bar of each chain till the end. Ch 3, turn. (This Ch 3 will be your first double crochet).
(SC into the bar of the chain will allow you to have a even finish on both ends of your shrug)

Ribbed Row 2: BPDC into the 2nd SC post. * FPDC into the next 2 SC post. BPDC into the next 2 SC bars.* Repeat from * to * till end. You should end with a BPDC stitch at the end. Ch 3, turn.

The last stitch on the just finished row was a BPDC. When you turn, it will become a BPDC. So, on the new row, you will have to start with a FPDC.

(The ribbing is created with 2 BPDC, 2 FPDC, repeat till end. or 2 FPDC followed by 2 BPDC till end .. depends on which side your crocheting on)

Ribbed Row 3: FPDC into the 2nd post. *BPDC into next 2 posts, followed by FPDC into next 2 posts*. Repeat * to * till end.

Repeat Rows 2 and 3 until the ribbed rows reach about 3 inches, its time to start with the body of the shrug.

Body Row:

Ch 3 at the end of the last ribbed stitch. DC into the top of the 2nd stitch from chain 3. *Ch 2. DC into the next 2 stiches.* Repeat * to * till end. Ch 3, turn. Repeat body row till desired length minus 3 inches is achieved. Ch 1, turn.

Finishing Ribbed Rows:

Finishing Ribbed Row 1: SC into next stitch from chain 1. *2 SC into the space of the chain 2 in the previous row. 1 SC into the top of the next 2 stitches.* Repeat * to * till end.

Finishing Ribbed Row 2: Here you have to check your stitches on the ribbed rows in the beginning. If the corresponding stitch on the other end is a BPDC, then you should start this row with BPDC (or vice versa). So looking at the pictures, row 2 should be done in BPDC into 2nd post of sc, followed by FPDC into next 2 sc posts and BPDC into next 2 sc posts. Repeat till end.

Finishing Ribbed Row 3: This will follow the logic of the beginning rows. Repeat Finishing Ribbed Rows 2-3 till you reach 3 inches of the finishing ribbed rows.

When youre done, your work should look like this (kinda, this is a miniature version Tongue )

Fold the ribbed rows ends towards each other. Sew up the matched ribbed rows. This will create the  armholes and sleeves of the shrug. (You can sew up the ribbed rows with the ends of your yarn or you can weave in the ends and sew with a matching thread. Whichever way that works for you. Cheesy )

I hope the pattern and my explanation makes sense. Let me know if you need clarification or spot a mistake.

Depending on your size, especially if youre big like me, its gonna take a while to crochet this because its gonna be a BIG PIECE OF CLOTH by the time youre done. Tongue If youre tiny, then I guess you will be able to finish it fast!

The bolero will look like this. You can wear it with the ribbed rows folded or not!

Sorry the pictures arent great. I really dont know how some of the popular crafters take the pictures for their tutorials. I dont have a tripod nor an awesome camera. Its so hard to take pics when youre actually doing the do. Tongue

Id really love comments! And if you do make this bolero, please let me know! I would love to see it! Cheesy

Have fun making your bolero!
This tutorial is also available on my blog: http://misscraftyfingers.wordpress.com/2010/06/15/pattern-for-crochet-version-of-ribbed-lace-bolero/
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012 02:48:45 PM by jungrrl - Reason: linked to specific blog entry » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Andy Warhol Drawing Bought For $5 Could Fetch Nearly $2 Million
Service Dog Inspires Artist to Paint With Wheelchair
Local Artist Competition Energizes Texas Art Scene
How to Draw Dragons with Emily Gravett
Justin Bieber Made Out of Crayons
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...