A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,096
Currently Running With Scissors:
562 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: After 5 years I'm done!!! My bedroom!  (Read 3334 times)
Tags for this thread: bedroom  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bellazeus

Crochet pattern illiterate.

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2010 11:41:28 PM »

We bought our house 5 years ago... the first day my DH put his foot through the floor... so up came the rotting rose and leaf carpet... out came the rotting floorboards and down went mdf board.

We lived like that for a year.. before we painted the salmon pink walls blue. Fast forward 3 years of us arguing over what floors we would put in.. i wanted floorboards.. he wanted carpet.. the we discovered the new technology of vinyl floorboards (now these are new here.. not sure about the rest of the world) basically they are very thick vinyl individual boards. they actually get laid like a real wood floor, but dont squeak, dont have draughts, and are soft and warmish underfoot. a perfect compromise!!! even tho they were MASSIVELY expensive... we absolutely love them.

Then came to repaint the walls... unfortunately the original blue we painted was an accident the paint maker made.. but i loved it... after i took in a piece of our wall and they still couldn't reproduce it and i had 7 demo tins of blue that were all wrong.. i cracked it and researched how to mix paint myself... then went and told them what to do  Embarrassed end result is as close to the original as one could possibly get.
 Grin

I hemmed the curtains by hand.. they are thermalblock and make a huge difference to keeping the room temp constant.. i repainted all the knobs and rails black as they were all bronze coloured ... you really struggle to find black anything here Sad

We tried to keep the room as close to as would have been back when the house was built in 1905 so we refused to put in built ins and bought a wardrobe instead and tried to keep all furniture in the old country style with cast iron.

The room itself being in an old miners cottage is tiny as a master bedroom.. its 3.6 x3.7 mt so we struggle a bit with storage hence why my scarves, bags and jewellery are out on display.

There is a beautiful rose ceiling that was a pain to paint !! And to my amusement we found an old bit of paint coming through under all the other layers... the room was originally a very close shade of blue under the 7 other layers!!

All in all i absolutely adore it. I think it still needs a bit of wall art.. but I will wait till I can find the perfect piece.

I'll see if i can find photos of the original room!! Smiley
I think i was taking pics of how the curtains were so then i could redo them in blue  Huh but you can see the crappy colours, walls and the floor was just mdf after we had ripped the carpet and floorboards out

« Last Edit: June 11, 2010 12:03:05 AM by Bellazeus » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seriously in awe of the craft stashes that are on this forum.
I bow down to your awesomeness.
OmJane
-Tanya [tawn-yuh]

clickity clack.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010 12:54:28 AM »

i love the new color palette! very appropriate for your theme. and good choice with the flooring. It compliments the molding beautifully.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog: Flour and Fleece

"On the contrary, it is you who are crazy to think that you are mighty because you can wound and destroy. That is the task of children. The mighty know how to create and heal."
Soledad
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010 01:47:43 AM »

Love it all. Bravo Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010 06:55:27 AM »

This is a wonderful transformation. The new bedroom looks so tranquil and comfy. I think you made a great decision with the wardrobe. It's a great touch.

All of your hardwork was well worth it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
helenm66
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010 01:29:50 AM »

I just dragged myself out of bed and looking at your lovely room makes me want to go right back, love the colour scheme, it's so sleeeeepy!

H
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bellazeus

Crochet pattern illiterate.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010 11:19:27 PM »

Thanks all!!
Helen its funny you should say that as on the weekend i was having a party and found one of my guests curled up on me bed.. she told me it was my fault as the room was so cozy and sleep inviting (maybe she was just been nice and it was really just the boring party lol)

LR Im glad i went the wardrobe way too.. I replaced the handles on the weekend and love it even more now!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seriously in awe of the craft stashes that are on this forum.
I bow down to your awesomeness.
homeonline
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010 07:21:18 PM »

You have a good taste in choosing your room. Like me I also enjoy seeing outside through window of my room. You really spent many years thinking what your room could be look like. But I guess youve done it well.
Congratulation.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

GewoonTanja
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010 04:34:06 AM »

oh my, that is beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Peace&Love
LoopyLouise
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010 08:30:04 PM »

It's absolutely gorgeous -- like those fancy magazine rooms  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Milk Carton Bird Feeder
How to Make a Hand Turkey
How to Make a Diorama
How to Make a Christmas Yule Log
How to Make a Cardboard Desk
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...