A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,476
Currently Running With Scissors:
541 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Thumb Guard! (with tute)  (Read 8362 times)
Tags for this thread: thumb , cozy , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

landofoz
« on: June 09, 2010 01:52:39 PM »

My youngest DD is frequently sick thanks to her awful thumb sucking.  Embarrassed We have tried everything the dentist has suggested and even some online tricks but the girl is stubborn (gets it from her dad, I'm sure  Wink )  The dentist suggested a $70 plastic thumb guard thingy and the hamster inside my head came to a screeching halt on his wheel and squeaked, "you could make that and for a heck of a lot less, too!"  So I dug out my scraps and voila! I give you my creation:

Impressive, no?  

Okay, okay, they are super simple to make and I've included a super simple tute with pictures.

Step 1: Find the offending digit:  
Found it!!

Trace around the offending digit and then let the owner of aforementioned digit run off and play/fight with her sister in another room.  Ignore the scuffles from the other room, they are just "playing."  Just eyeball it here and add a 1/4 seam allowance to the thumb tracing.

Now, take your custom shark fin -- I mean -- thumb tracing, and cut out 2 pieces.  I'm lazy.  I cut two pieces of fabric at the same time.  Sometimes more...

Alrighty, my camera was not cooperative so here is the next two steps at once:
With the wrong side up, fold the bottom edge up about a quarter inch and sew it there.  Then cut 2 piece of ribbon to about 9 inches (or call back the owner of the offending digit and wrap the ribbon around her wrist twice loosely, and cut with a little extra so you can tie it later)  Place the ribbon on the center of the bottom part you just sewed and sew it onto the wrong side as well, go over it a couple times so a desperate thumb sucker can't just yank it out later it is sturdy.

Now, put your right sides together and sew a 1/4 inch from the edge.  Be sure to back over your beginning and ending stitches.

I always fit it on the child before I turn it right side out 'cause sometimes my sewing skills are a bit too "creative."

Turn it right side out and viola!

My DD has 9 of these - one to match her shirt no matter what she's wearing and she LOVES to wear them.  Hopefully we'll have this thumb sucking business licked by the end of the summer!

Hopefully this helps a few other desperate mommy's out there!!   Cheesy

Please be sure you tie this loosely around your child's wrist--because remember, if it's too tight it can cut off the blood circulation and your child could loose their hand!  And that would be bad, my friends.  Very bad, indeed.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2010 01:56:13 PM by landofoz » THIS ROCKS   Logged
BonEsInspired
BonesInspired

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010 02:07:49 PM »

That's a really clever idea!
I was very lucky in that my daughter miraculously gave up thumb sucking at age 1. Hopefully she won't nurse forever though lol Grin
Great work and I hope it works Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leighi123

The Little Sewing Shop

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010 02:16:49 PM »

Watch out though, my mom did something similar with my sister (I think she cut the 4 fingers off a glove) and she just started sucking a different finger!  She was 10 before she quit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pipkin2020
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010 02:41:43 PM »

Ha ha, brilliant!  Hope it works Smiley  My DD didn't quit until she was 7 (same as me, which is why I wasn't too fussed). It gets a bit much after a while, and if she's getting sick then Tongue  You could sell these by the ton Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Not enough is being done for the apathetic

http://www.pickymiss.com
shinypinkbubbles
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010 03:59:41 PM »

Please be sure you tie this loosely around your child's wrist--because remember, if it's too tight it can cut off the blood circulation and your child could loose their hand!  And that would be bad, my friends.  Very bad, indeed.

...although it would solve the thumb-sucking problem... :p

What a cute solution and I bet it saved you a small fortune. Well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smrfchic
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010 07:45:54 PM »

Ugh, I remember looking at those thumb guards/finger guards when my littlest was still sucking his fingers at almost 4! He always sucked on his index and middle finger together - either hand - so there was really no way I could use something like that without taking away the use of both of his hands.  We ended up using some of that No Bite nail polish, and he kicked the habit in a week!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~ Sadie ~*~
Oh, for corn's sake!
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010 08:29:16 PM »

I will be keeping this in mind for my little digit muncher.... She's just 5 months, but always has her fingers in there... I'm sure she'll figure the thumb out soon....   They are cute though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pipkin2020
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010 06:20:20 AM »

You should reeeally stick googly eyes on these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Not enough is being done for the apathetic

http://www.pickymiss.com
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010 06:47:22 AM »

Great job!!

Although watch out she may end up liking the taste of the fabric...

(I was a thumb sucker until I was 8, what finally licked it you ask... my dentist made me call him every night for 2 weeks to tell him if I had sucked my thumb or not, for a shy little kid that did the trick.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
deeredone2
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010 11:32:55 AM »

What an awesome solution!  My friends daughter is HUGE thumbsucker and we were trying to figure something out the other day.  I said I was going to make her a shirt with gloves attached so she couldn't suck either finger.  This is great will have to tell her about this. Thanks for sharing. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Paint Fantasy Miniatures
How to Broomstick Lace Crochet
How to Age Brass
How to Age Copper
How to Age Paper
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...