A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,942
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: stiff cotton  (Read 690 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rainysunshine789
« on: June 08, 2010 06:29:53 PM »

I have two yards of gorgeous fabric, but it is so stiff.  I really have no clue what to do with it.  I just can't think of anything that would look good that doesn't have any movement.  I have about a yard of coordinating fabric in a solid color that has a good bit of movement.  Does anyone have any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will sew for stamps!  Or swap stamps for fabric!  Send me a message for a personal swap!

http://pinterest.com/laneyruth/

OTT Swap Secret Pal Round 2 ~ Gathering ideas, crafting, sending, or sent.  Maybe. 
Inchies Mania Swap ~ Set #1 done, Set #2 begun
Jar of Whimsies Rd 12 ~ Partners! Stalk
N30Nb100d
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010 06:42:55 PM »

Have you washed it? A lot of fabric softens with a wash. Is it stiff but thin, or upholstery weight? But anyway, structured jackets need stiffer fabric, corsets, shift dresses, even poofy skirts can work (they stay poofy without a petticoat if the fabric is stiff). Anything structured might work well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rainysunshine789
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010 08:34:09 PM »

I have not washed it.  I'm scared it will unravel.  How can I make sure it doesn't fray on the ends if I do wash it?  I'm a bit nervous to try something structured.  The pattern on the fabric is a bit large, so I want to use larger pieces of it.  A poufy dress with petticoat sounds the best.  Any other advice?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will sew for stamps!  Or swap stamps for fabric!  Send me a message for a personal swap!

OTT Swap Secret Pal Round 2 ~ Gathering ideas, crafting, sending, or sent.  Maybe. 
rainysunshine789
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010 08:55:47 PM »

Oh, and it is thin.  It isn't upholstery weight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

N30Nb100d
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010 09:22:18 PM »

I always just toss my fabric in the machine. It unravels a bit, but never too badly. If you want to make sure it doesn't unravel at all, you can zig-zag the cut edges. If you search around, you'll notice prewashing fabric is mentioned quite a bit and isn't as scary as it seems. Fabric is sometimes treated at the factory so it doesn't wrinkle while on the bolt in the store and stays folded up well, but once you wash it, the way the fabric behaves changes. It can also shrink in the wash, and you wouldn't want to find out it shrinks after you already make it into something.

If the design on the fabric works for a poofy dress and you like them, I think it's a great way to go! It sounds like it would work for a lot of types of dresses/skirts, as long as the pattern you use is for woven cotton fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tigergirl
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010 04:43:25 AM »

I always prewash fabric before I sew with it - I don't want to spend hours constructing something to find that everything goes out of whack the first time it's washed. Generally I don't bother to finish the edges but if it's really ravelly I might do a small hem or zig zag before I toss it in the machine.

.....The pattern on the fabric is a bit large, so I want to use larger pieces of it.  ......  Any other advice?

What about an A-line shift or a sheath like these?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

LMAshton
Kitchen Witch

Canada -> Sri Lanka -> New Zealand -> Singapore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010 03:07:24 AM »

If, after you've washed the fabric and it's still too stiff, you can soak the fabric in a solution of salt and vinegar (or salt or vinegar separately, but I do it together) or milk to soften the fabric. I've done this a few times and I sometimes have to soak a piece of fabric for all day, but it works.

And I *always* prewash fabric as well. For the same reasons as mentioned above. I don't like surprises. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010 08:49:53 AM »

If, after you've washed the fabric and it's still too stiff, you can soak the fabric in a solution of salt and vinegar (or salt or vinegar separately, but I do it together) or milk to soften the fabric. I've done this a few times and I sometimes have to soak a piece of fabric for all day, but it works.

And I *always* prewash fabric as well. For the same reasons as mentioned above. I don't like surprises. Wink

What an awesome tip!  I can't wait to try this myself.  I suppose you could  put the milk and fabric in the fridge, so it wouldn't sour?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
LMAshton
Kitchen Witch

Canada -> Sri Lanka -> New Zealand -> Singapore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010 11:01:33 PM »

Thing is, you're going to be throwing the milk bath out anyway, so does it really matter if it sours? Except for the smell issue, of course. And then, it's only going to be for so many hours...

I'm lazy. And I have a tiny fridge. Yeah... Smiley Also, I use salt and vinegar cuz they're cheaper and I don't have to risk the sour milk thing in this tropical weather...

Yeah, lazy. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Headband
Smokey Eye Cat Makeup and Hair Tutorial
Learn About Toxic Beauty Ingredients TEA, DEA, MEA
Learn About Toxic Beauty Ingredient DMDM Hydantoin
How to Curl Hair With a Can
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...